Restored Newell R550-4.6's

Started by Yogi_fish808, October 12, 2017, 08:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Hi AT Family,
Here are a pair of R550-4.6's whose owner wanted to have some cosmetic work done. The factory silver paint on the badges for these tends to rub/flake off really easily and often times makes the reel look a little weathered. I went ahead and stripped the leftover paint and grime off with solvent. made a few passes over the raised areas with sandpaper. For paintmarkers I've found in my art background that Uni-paint(best white paint) or DecoColor have the best coverage/pigment quality and are widely available. 2-3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear spray paint seals the new paint. When repainting badges on P,G and R/PR its best to remove them if possible and set into cardboard. I also refreshed the polished aluminum handles first with green compound (harbor freight) then Nevr-Dull, then waxed to protect the finish. The internals were all clean and fine so I just gave it a freespool tune up since it was already opened up. These are supposedly going to be shelfies and will definitely display better after being redone.

Aloha,
Kyle

Swami805

Those came out nice. Are those after market clicker buttons or stock? Were you able to get the badges off the bars too?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

STRIPER LOU

Nicely done. They look great!!!!

..........Lou

Bryan Young

Kyle, you are amazing with that re-painting stuff.  You need to teach us some day...but I will likely not be able to do it because my hand shakes.

Amazing stuff.  A whole new level my friend.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

gstours

Wow good job,   looks like just out of the box new!   You should be proud of your work.  ;)  Thanks for the tips and inspiration.    gst.

Army_of_One

I don't like red reels so much, but those are beautiful.
Another day in Paradise!

basto

Congratulations! You did an excellent job.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

bhale1

Kyle,
Wow those reels look brand new now!! Great job!
Brett

Yogi_fish808

Mahalos for the aloha all of you show me, the encouragement goes a long way! I'm on the hunt for a marker that lays down a brighter silver for a better final result in the future, will report back later.

Aloha,
Kyle