alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Restored Newell R550-4.6's
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 19, 2017, 10:20:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restored Newell R550-4.6's  (Read 237 times)
Yogi_fish808
Sensei

« on: October 12, 2017, 12:23:22 AM »

Hi AT Family,
Here are a pair of R550-4.6's whose owner wanted to have some cosmetic work done. The factory silver paint on the badges for these tends to rub/flake off really easily and often times makes the reel look a little weathered. I went ahead and stripped the leftover paint and grime off with solvent. made a few passes over the raised areas with sandpaper. For paintmarkers I've found in my art background that Uni-paint(best white paint) or DecoColor have the best coverage/pigment quality and are widely available. 2-3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear spray paint seals the new paint. When repainting badges on P,G and R/PR its best to remove them if possible and set into cardboard. I also refreshed the polished aluminum handles first with green compound (harbor freight) then Nevr-Dull, then waxed to protect the finish. The internals were all clean and fine so I just gave it a freespool tune up since it was already opened up. These are supposedly going to be shelfies and will definitely display better after being redone.

Aloha,
Kyle

Swami805

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:57 AM »

Those came out nice. Are those after market clicker buttons or stock? Were you able to get the badges off the bars too?
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:47:07 AM »

Nicely done. They look great!!!!

..........Lou
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:35:24 AM »

Kyle, you are amazing with that re-painting stuff.  You need to teach us some day...but I will likely not be able to do it because my hand shakes.

Amazing stuff.  A whole new level my friend.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:07:43 AM »

Wow good job,   looks like just out of the box new!   You should be proud of your work.  Wink  Thanks for the tips and inspiration.    gst.
Army_of_One

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »

I don't like red reels so much, but those are beautiful.

Another day in Paradise!
basto

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »

Congratulations! You did an excellent job.
Basto
bhale1

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »

Kyle,
Wow those reels look brand new now!! Great job!
Brett
Yogi_fish808
Sensei

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 01:18:23 AM »

Mahalos for the aloha all of you show me, the encouragement goes a long way! I'm on the hunt for a marker that lays down a brighter silver for a better final result in the future, will report back later.

Aloha,
Kyle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: