Over lining reel weight class.

Started by josephcsylvia, October 13, 2017, 12:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephcsylvia

Ok guys I have a question. I am currently setting up a live bait snook/tarpon pitching rod/reel.
My setup
Lamiglass triflex 7030
Calcutta 400b (upgraded drag, power handle)
300yds 50# mamoi diamond braid.

Heres my question. I have had several people tell me 50# is too heavy and I will damage the reel. This seems crazy to me. I set the drag at 7# max which would be as if I was fishing 20# line.am I wrong in thinking about it that way?

I went heavier on line for two reasons.
1. Abrasion resistance and 2. so it doesnt dig in itself on the spool.

MarkT

You have it right. It's the amount of drag you want from the reel, not the rated strength of the line.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

otownjoe

ditto what Mark said. As I see it the only downside to fishing heavy line is reduced casting distance. If it helps you land more fish then it's a good thing. Joe

FatTuna

On a baitcaster, you definitely want to go heavier on the braid. I think 50lb is a good choice for that reel. For the exact reasons you mentioned. You could probably go heavier if you wanted.  People in the modern world are all about thinner and lighter because they assume it's better 100% of the time.

steelfish

Quote from: josephcsylvia on October 13, 2017, 12:38:09 AM

Heres my question. I have had several people tell me 50# is too heavy and I will damage the reel.

thats a common belief on weekend warrior fishermen.
that will only damage your reel if you tend to bottom down the drag if the fish is taking line, but if you dont touch your reel above the drag ratings of the reel you are safe.
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

IMHO, you have it right.  50# braid is a good line choice as I have broken off even 30# braid snapping the lure or weight on a swift cast.  50# braid is about the thickness of 15# braid if I recall, which is the right line thickness for that reel.

Then, as you had said, your drag is adjusted based on limitations of the rod/reel/leader/top shot/knot/....  You will be fine.  I fish like this all of the time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

just remember, if you get hung up on a rock, you will still have to deal with 50 pound test line. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on October 13, 2017, 01:18:59 AM
just remember, if you get hung up on a rock, you will still have to deal with 50 pound test line. 

ask me how do I feel when we get hung up with 80# line, we just anchor the panga
The Baja Guy

josephcsylvia

Quote from: alantani on October 13, 2017, 01:18:59 AM

Lol thats the truth!! 

Thank you guys thats what my train of though was. I always pull my drags on a scale at the beginning of the day and dont touch them after that. Alot of people dont even realize what 7# of drag actually feels like!!! I love hearing guys tell me they were fishing 30/40# of drag  they are always using medium heavy rods and spinning gear lol.

FatTuna

I have a technique that I use for freeing braid snags. I carry a wooden dowel in my surf pack. If you get hung up, just make a dozen or so wraps around the wood, then walk backwards. I join my leader to my braid with a double uni knot, no swivel. I use the same technique in a boat except I cleat off the braid to one of the stern cleats. Then just pop the boat in gear. It will break at the leader almost 100% of the time.

steelfish

Quote from: FatTuna on October 13, 2017, 03:48:16 AM
I have a technique that I use for freeing braid snags. I carry a wooden dowel in my surf pack. If you get hung up, just make a dozen or so wraps around the wood, then walk backwards. .

So stocked, I do the same thing when fishing from shore
The Baja Guy

josephcsylvia

Quote from: FatTuna on October 13, 2017, 03:48:16 AM
I have a technique that I use for freeing braid snags. I carry a wooden dowel in my surf pack. If you get hung up, just make a dozen or so wraps around the wood, then walk backwards
This is a great idea, thank you.

oc1

I wrap the line around the rod butt to break it off.  It's rustic equipment though.  You can anchor a canoe or kayak with 20# braid unless there is a steep swell or you start pulling the bow under.  With 30# you can get yourself into a situation.   I use 20# leader too so it will almost always break down at the snag.
-steve

Cor

Also agreed and as you become more familiar with your tackle you will know how much it "can take"

All my life I have used what is probably 30 lb reel and loaded it with 50 lb line.   Mainly for the same reason, abrasion and other damage to the line.   After a days fishing there are enough nicks and bad spots on your line to bring its breaking strain down to 30 lb!
Just one other point, we also generally fish with our drag locked or close too and I've never really seen a reel just break because of it.   
Cornelis