Squidder dog spring

Started by Jkjhung, October 16, 2017, 08:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkjhung

After servicing the squidder, jigmaster, and surfmaster, I have to say my least favorite to service is the squidder because of that darn dog spring it uses. I was able to trim down a jigmaster spring to use in a squidder, but man that took forever and I lost a few springs in the process.  Any tips on how to install the dog spring?  Also is there anywhere I can get some squidder sized springs so I don't have to trim the jigmaster ones again?

foakes

Springs #108 & #14, are available at Scott's -- on our site -- for a few cents...

One is factory -- one is a work-around -- but works fine.

I have these also -- but Scott's is in the business -- and I don't want to send you the wrong one.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

PennParts now have springs that are direct replacements for Stock springs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jkjhung

Thanks for the info guys!  When I ordered a bunch of parts from scotts about a year ago they did not have these direct replacement springs. 

Bryan Young

They just got them a few months ago. It's hard to find springs that small.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sluggo

I have problems getting them over the posts also. The last one I did slid the ringed end of the spring that goes over the post onto a ice pick to stretch it a little seems like there must be a better way. Anybody have a trick ?

Bryan Young

I hold the spring over the post with a finger while use a pick to push and slide it over the post. Now always effective, but I do finally get it on the nth try. Where n= 2-😭