alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Sonic cleaner for firearms?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 18, 2018, 02:04:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sonic cleaner for firearms?  (Read 901 times)
Whit

« on: October 17, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »

Hi folks:

I'm normally on the fishing side, but wonder if a person could use their sonic cleaner for cleaning old gun parts, or ones that just got crudded up with time.  For example I have a bolt action that the push pin (ejector pin) is somewhat frozen up, and needs to be loosened.  What's to stop a person form tossing the entire bolt assembly into the sonic cleaner, and when once done, dry and oil it up (Corrosionx? Smiley) and then take it hunting?

Any tips appreciated.

paulo57t09

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:21:30 AM »

If the ejector is that fouled, the rest of the bolt isn't too far behind.  I would disassemble the bolt and then put the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Whit

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »

OK got it. Thanks.  What formula of liquid should I use in the sonic cleaner?  Any recommendations?
paulo57t09

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »

OK got it. Thanks.  What formula of liquid should I use in the sonic cleaner?  Any recommendations?

I can't help you with a cleaning solution recommendation because I don't use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my firearms.

Brownells sells firearm specific cleaning solutions:  https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/index.htm?k=ultrasonic

I would try some Simple Green, perhaps diluted with some distilled water.  Do not use any kind of alcohol or solvents.  To prevent flash rust, be sure to coat your parts with some kind of rust inhibitor right after removing them from the cleaner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: