Year of reel?

Started by GORDASKIPPER, October 18, 2017, 01:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

I have just purchased an old Penn International 130 sigle speed,I have seen it apart yesterday (greasy but no corrosion). It is at a reel shop being reassembled it was for a guy who didn't want it anymore. Are there serial numbers or something that will tell me which model it is ? I remember on Penn 80W I had help with it was inside the reel I think, Alan had mentioned? I see on Scotts there are two Models 130 and 130H not sure of the differences?  It seems easy to clean however cost verses parts?  I have read on here is where I could get in trouble I paid 200.00 any insight will be helpful as two what to invest or not?

Penn

Find the serial number on the reel and post it here.

tony

GORDASKIPPER

ok i'l go look at it any idea where it is? or maybe the reel guy should know ya think?

GORDASKIPPER

Penn

The serial # puts it sometime in the late 60's, in the early 70's the serial number changed to the current format which is (example) A970300 format. 

tony

GORDASKIPPER

thanks...so if I have 200.00 in it what is your advise to me on what I should cap my spending on parts if needed...so say it would be your reel for our conversation

Penn

$250-300 on spare parts, you are going to need replacement drag's and the metal drag plate which would run you about $120 right from the start.

tony

GORDASKIPPER

I took some pictures of my 130 it is in fairly decent shape except for spool or may I sand out the ruff spots?

GORDASKIPPER

had to add spool shots

thorhammer

I'll give you three right now😎

Tightlines667

This is a first gen, low speed 130.  I would order all new bearings (~$150), new drag washer, and plate, new Belleville washers, and try to source a clicker ratchet plate and pawl.  You may want a new main gear, if excessively rough or a new pinion and main gear, if you want to increase the gear ratio/line retrieval rate.  Figure the reel, fully serviced and upgraded, should be worth between $400-$600, so you have room to spare on parts cost..maybe $300 parts budget.  You could get a rod brace as well.

Let us know if you need any help with the service.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

GORDASKIPPER

Tightlines667

Quote from: GORDASKIPPER on November 02, 2017, 12:32:50 PM
how much is service ?

I charge $50+parts, can vary from $40-$80ish+parts.  The service is pretty straight forward on these older Internationals, provided you don't have too many stuck screws/frozen parts.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

UKChris

Hi Gordaskipper,

I would be wary about sanding the spool if it was mine, though some sort of corrosion inhibition might help prevent further pitting.

I have a 30W that had been badly treated by its original owner and was very corroded on the frame and cross bars, though inside was perfect (a little wash now and then would have prevented the trouble). I washed it thoroughly after removing all signs of corrosion and once completely dry painted the corroded areas with gold enamel paint (Humbrol brand in the UK). It doesn't look pretty  :-\ but it stopped further saltwater damage. Maybe the same process for the spool? It would be out of sight most of the time so a mis-match of colour is not a great problem.

btw - Nice Fenwick rod in the picture.

handi2

GordaSkipper I sent you an email concerning your reel.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL