Need a rod for an International 20T

Started by ReelFishingProblems, October 19, 2017, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Greetings,

Looking for recommendations.

Bought a 20T in nice shape.
Planning on buying a new Penn International 20# rod for $190

Is there a better stand up rod for the same price to match this reel?

Thank you
Nick

akfish

It really depends on how you will be fishing your 20T and what weight line you will be using. Many people fish that reel with 50# or even heavier line; in which case, a rod designed to fish 20# line isn't what you want.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Jim Fujitani

Also, what are you planning on using the reel for?

The 20T (single speed) was originally designed for light weight trolling for sail fish, king fish, small tarpon and the like, in your area (I assume FL).  So matching rods were designed as light weight trollers, such as the Penn International 20# rod.

I used to own two 20T reels, for fly lining live bait and dropper looping in southern CA waters, for BFT, YFT, YT, CA halibut, and WSB.  The reels were filled with 65 and 80# spectra and mono or floro top shots.  As such, I paired my reels (which were still single speed) with stand up 6 1/2 to 8', 30-80# rods with ring guides.  Rods that are different from the Penn International 20# rod.

ReelFishingProblems

I will mostly use this reel on a kayak, and the occasional boat trip while I'm in Florida (who knows where we will end up next). Not deep water on my side of the state, but it isn't a very long drive to the other side.

I've also been using an accurate conversion 113h on the Sunshine Skyway pier. Might try it out there too.

I did buy an Okuma Cedros CJ-C-601H jigging rod (on sale $70 tackle direct) figure it would be a nice rod. No reason I can't buy a second rod for different conditions  ;D

I watched a great video of Rob Wong Yuen battling a 107lb YFT in Kona with an international 16vsx paired with a 50-100 international v rod. In-laws live in Kona.... daydreaming is dangerous

thorhammer

Nick, I have my 20 on a Penn Int 3960 RCSS, 30-80. It's an older one with slick butt, sftco stripper and tip, and Pac Bay ring guides in between. It's a nice light tip to be real fun on mahi or kings but enough guts for decent grouper / shark. I have my standard 30's (just a wider 20) on the same rods; I have four total and they were my go-to rigs in the Bahamas. light enough to be fun, but enough there if you needed it. 65 braid topped with 50 or 60 lb topshot will take care of a lot of business. JMO.

J

steelfish

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on October 19, 2017, 07:17:30 PM
I will mostly use this reel on a kayak, and the occasional boat trip while I'm in Florida (who knows where we will end up next).

international 20t on a Kayak?

auuuch, that sounds like a too heavy reel for a kayak, 113h sounds better for a kayak use and still in the heavy side, if you want to stay with Penn brand I think it would be a good idea to get you a jigmaster 500L with some internal goodies and buy that 20# rod and you will be set for a kayak use, plus is that jigmaster doesnt have bearings that corrode for the multiple splash of saltwater that any reel will have when used on a kayak.

The Baja Guy

akfish

Yea, a 20T is way too much for a kayak, and after just a trip or two you'll regret fishing a reel with 4 ball bearings so close to the saltwater. Here's an idea: Trade your 20T for a couple Jigmasters and a 4/0 and rods to go with them...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ReelFishingProblems

My current kayak setups are:
Vintage sealine 50h on fenwick paifistick
Narrow accurate 4/0 on ugly stick
Spinfisher SSV 7500 on custom rod by thorhammer
Battle 2500 on some unknown rod

The 20T is too pretty to get rid of. Just need to find the right task for it.

thorhammer

There's a task, for sure. I love the 20T. Its a beast. If you have it in your mind to work out something on one of those sweet 113 hotrods you just posted let me know. I have more of the blanks your spinner is on, and they build out nice on that 20 size tackle: slick but, Fuji seat, acid (spiral wrap). just a thought; I'm building some out for my Cortez 4/0's which are same size. That 20T reel will of course fish heavier strength-wise, but un-blueprinted they are designed with lower drag curves in that range of mono. Those blanks fish sweet in 25-50 range as you know.

J

ReelFishingProblems

John,

I could be easily convinced to work out a deal. The gold JVariance plates are in the best shape as far as the side plates go, and the wide AccuFrame is in the best shape as far as frames go.
One of them has stock steel gear and the other has brass. Easily swapped.

Nick

thorhammer

ok brother lets talk. I'll give you a shout this weekend.