Penn Long Beach 65

Started by Noviceman, October 19, 2017, 05:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

Is there a tutorial for a  Penn Long Beach 65 with upgrades etc on this forum....Looked but couldnt find...Or is there another one for a reel that is about the same..Many thanks

Jim from Wisconsin starting to get ready for winter..

akfish

The 65 is straight forward and easy to work on. If you look at at 4/0 Senator you'll find anything you need to know. As for upgrades: If you have carbon fiber drag washers and perhaps a new handle you're good to go.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Noviceman

Thanks akfish for info...will check it out....

RowdyW

If you want an aluminum spool get one from a 190 Seaboy. Available at MysticParts or used on ebay.           Rudy

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Ron Jones

Brian Young has a drag kit and you can put a stainless gear sleeve in it and a Newell 112H base or the new SS 112H base will fit. That is way overboard but if money isn't a concern you can make a killer reel out of it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

a 30-66 stand will also fit and will enable the use of a rod clamp.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

Quote from: Ron "Jones on October 20, 2017, 05:26:31 AM
Brian Young has a drag kit and you can put a stainless gear sleeve in it and a Newell 112H base or the new SS 112H base will fit. That is way overboard but if money isn't a concern you can make a killer reel out of it.
Ron

Hi Ron
Can you use Brian`s drag kit and ss sleeve with a brass main gear or do you need the older steel main gear?
Basto

Ron Jones

Well, you CAN use the brass gear. But I'm pretty sure if you used all that drag the gear wouldn't last long.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

Ron, thanks for your reply.
Basto

Noviceman

thanks for all the advise...The reel has a ss spool already....is there any advantage to a alum over ss spool other that weight??   Thanks

akfish

The big advantage of the aluminum spool over the steel spool is that aluminum spools very rarely go out of round whereas steel spools do frequently. They just don't handle mono very well. Mono stretches as much as 40% and if put on under pressure -- as would happen if fishing with heavy drag -- put too much pressure on the spool and can cause it to warp. One way around this is to put several wraps of Dacron on the spool before adding the mono. I **frequently** see warped spools on the older Penn I get in the shop.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Noviceman

Makes sense to me...Thanks for reply.....Getting into these reels is a recent new hobby for me and learning much off this site..

Bill B

WooooHoooo we got another one to the Darkside  :D   There is no turning back now  ;D  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Noviceman

Hopefully the last issue with this 65.   after total cleaning and polishing and replacing drag washers etc etc I find the ss spool has a bent shaft on the right side end and of course it binds when I crank it so guess I  will have to look for a replacement....already had to replace the right side plate which had cracks that didnt show on ebay pictures...and came apart in 3 pieces when I dissassembled....got the reel for 10.00 plus s&h but all the parts cleaned up really well....Guess you never know on ebay....Another lesson learned I guess....

Crow

Yeah, when you "can't hold it in your hand".........it's hard to tell about some things !   Sometimes "you get the bear", and sometimes the bear gets you ! That said, at that price...I don't think you were hurt, too bad.  You could keep your eyes out for another"cheapie", as a donor...make one out of two, and still turn up a winner !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !