A Little Everol History

Started by Midway Tommy, October 20, 2017, 01:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: 54bullseye on October 22, 2017, 02:32:00 PM
Hi John Taylor here
This is a follow up on Mikes "Reel King post". From reading they came in three sizes a "20-30" a "50" and an "80" size. I bought a 20-30 size off Ebay a couple years ago for a $100 buy now and was very happy about it !! I knew nothing about them and while looking for info found out Brian "Oceanreels" had an 80 size. He told me of a page in the Fin-Nor Book by Bruce Matthews and Ed Pritchard that gave a brief history of the Reel King reels ! On page 32 in that book it tells how Grieten applied for several pattens in early to mid 60s for drag mechanisms that were for the Reel King reels. The reels were only made from the late 1970 to late 1972 when the owner of SOMACO "Southern Machine Company" died and production stopped. I was lucky enough to buy Brian's 80 reel King so now I need the 50 to complete the set.

I had John Elder do a clean and lube job on the 80 and John said that the drag wasn't like any he had seen before. Here is his ORCA tutorial.
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19133&p=86284&hilit=Reel+King+80+reel#p86284

Below I have included a few pics of the two Reel King's !!!  Hope you enjoy.   John Taylor

John,

Super cool reels!

I can't believe I missed thst ORCA post, but come yo think of it so did read the reel news article in the original mag, and in the best of book.

Will have to keep an eye open for these.

John P
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 22, 2017, 04:12:11 PM
Thanks Doc,
The serial number on this reel is 11883.
Not sure if it was made Nov. 1988 or 1983.
The Catalog that came with it has no 18/0 yet.
It also shows a Best Series with wood handles. But the side plates don't show "The Best" as I've seen before.
Daron

Oh, okay... I don't think there is anything to be learned from the serial numbers. They are sequential, that is all-- if I remember correctly. I recall thinking about it and maybe even asking, but it was a very long time ago. Ask Paolo about it.
Those catalogs are kind of interesting too, in that they aren't neccessarily current or updated to model years. I think The Best series was from the 80s. I have only had one in my shop, ever.
If I had to guess with your reel, I would say more like, mid-late 90s, again based on the chunky gear cover. Maybe I am wrong, idunno. 80s reels still had the angel-shape gear cover, later introduced (at my urging, I like to say) in an updated version in the mid-2000s-ish. You mentioned a box... Black box, cardboard? And again the handle knob... black molded plastic kind that came before the more bullet-shaped machined delrin one that came later.... Ask Paolo about that, if he remembers when they changed that. And then keep in mind that the answer would be based on someone's memory, not stamped and dated official documentation.

PS: I like your little 4/0 with the red box. Nice.

54bullseye

Daron and Robert I didn't mean to JACK your post with the Reel Kings I just saw Mikes post and thought I would add to the Reel King history.
Sorry about that !!! Maybe some one can move it ? I don't know how.  I love the old Everol's to but only have one.   John Taylor

Robert Janssen

What?! No-- those Reel Kings are amazing! Thank you!

Shark Hunter

No Problem John. Those Reel Kings are Cool. 8)
Doc,
Paolo says 1983 Production.
Assuming the Catalog is correct. The 18/0 came out around 1984, so that would be the right time line.
This reel was a display in Naples Florida. It came with the original black box.
This is all Theory, but I'm running with it. ;)
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

mmmyeah... but no.

So, I got to seriously thinking about it and had a look at stuff. I have here a 7 1/2 /0 sent to me by Paolo, directly from production in 2002 or 2003. It has serial number 13284. I also have a 6/0 from 2002, serial number 12564. Both had post frames and triangular chunky-style gear covers. I also have a few 12-20 side rings from the same period with 12343, and a WP30, serial number 13555. Also a 4/0 from circa 2008, serial number 20576 and modern angel-shape gear cover.

I also have an email from Paolo in 2005, in which he specifies the years of production for the triangular chunky-style gear cover as 1988-2005.

The 18/0 was not released until 2004.

The catalogs are nice enough, but they are not a wholly reliable timeline. Hence the appearance of for example The Best series, angel-shaped gear covers, the mention the ferrozell bushing which hasn't been used for many years etc.

I don't know when he started using the black boxes.

Shark Hunter

I'm just going by the email Paolo sent me this morning.
I didn't know when the 18/0 came out, but on their website,
When the 20/0 came out in 2014, They said the 18/0 had held the record as biggest reel for nearly three decades.
http://teameverol.com/new-models-rd/
It doesn't really matter. I am only going by the information I can find.
I'm sure you are probably right, since you have walked the walk. I'm just talking the talk. ;)
Its all Good.

Today at 7:30 AM

ToDaron Dyer  

Message body

Hello Daron,

exactly, the reels was made in 1983.

Regards

Paolo

Il 21/10/2017 00:00, Daron Dyer ha scritto:

Paolo,

Its been a while my Friend. I purchased this 9/0 this week and it has posts instead of the full frame.

The last two digits of the Serial number are 83.

Does that mean this reel was made in 1983?

Daron
Life is Good!

54bullseye

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 22, 2017, 12:25:06 PM
Gentlemen, sorry for delay in response to this thread. I was away on a trip, not altogether too far away from Everol I suppose, without internet connection.

Listen, save your efforts on the drag patent thing. There is certainly no truth to it; it is an old boast that has been flying around since idunnowhen and can be immediately dismissed as erroneous at best. Trust me.

It is true though, that Everol predates the International and may have in some way contributed to inspire Penn to build a lever drag reel, but that is where it ends.

This was a nice article and all, but on sort of the light reading level. Some nice pictures though, and cool reels. I too have one of the first Everols ever made, a 7 1/2 /O with dual gears and dual levers.

Really, the more interesting things here are Mikes amazing prototype International and Reel-King pictures! And that Grieten patent happens to be a personal favorite, since it quite obviously shows a twin drag reel, which gives Accurate fanatics something to think about.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 20, 2017, 03:08:21 PM
I would Love to meet Gianni. Nice guy; I am sure you would like him. Speaks very little or no English though.
I now know what the two girls mean. I often wondered. Yes, it is an interesting little anecdote. Thought I had mentioned it before, but I guess not.
Also interesting that Penn Internationals copied the drag system when the patent expired. In a word, no.

Daron, those reels with the post frames were continued into the 2000s. I have a prototype one-piece frame here, it says I made it in 2003 I think. Better clues are the chunky-style gear housing and type of handle knob.

[IMG]
Robert
About what year was that 7 1/2 0 made ?? Also I assume the black lever is the drag preset but what is the second chromed lever for ? Is there a separate drag for each speed ?  I just bought one off Ebay for cheap money but from another country. The handle is broke and one part of the star is broken off. I am hoping I can fix both problems. I don't quite see what that star does ? I looks like it would work as a quick adjustment for the handle position but it doesn't look like it has any flats to turn the nut ?? I am only going by pictures as I don't have reel in hand yet.   Thanks !    John Taylor

Shark Hunter

Glad that reel went to a member.
I kind of shyed away with the broken parts and scratches, but that is a very rare reel.
Life is Good!

54bullseye

You know I was shocked that it didn't go higher !!  I put in another bid in the last few seconds always glad to save a few hundred dollars. You know I bid on and got this reel on Nov 7th and it was on my porch on Nov 10th from Italy !!!!  Hope this one is as good !!    John Taylor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reel-Mitchell-President-2-0-/322856634563?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252BxghoD8eu96ThPr1LOTqzwy6JZ8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

54bullseye

Daron
Do you know what the extra lever is ?    John Taylor

Shark Hunter

Brother, I do not.
All my Everol's have a single Lever.
Doc will be able to answer your question.
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

John Taylor, wow! That is a really nice reel. Fantastic. In great condition too. Great pictures. What a great deal; i would perhaps have bid on it myself had i seen it.

Yes, the star is used to adjust handle position. IIRC the star is threaded, and the domed cap nut is just to cap off the stud nicely. IIDRC, the nut is just pressed into the star. No big deal.

The second, small chromed lever is a freespool lever. It can be used at any time, regardless of what the other lever is set at.

Exact age is really hard to pin down, but I think, based on a long line of consideration of many aspects, that these reels are from the very late 1950s or very early 1960s, like 1958-1962. I also think that mine may be just a little older than yours, not sure.

The broken handle is not a big deal. Just weld it.

Penn Chronology

Thought this article would fit in this post. It is from the November, 2017 issue of the Reel News (ORCA publication).

54bullseye

Mike
I read it last night a lot about company history but would like to learn more about the reels and there progression  from 1958 and up. I think you should write a book and include a lot of pictures in it on "Everol from the beginning " I will sign up for first copy !!  Lol ! It was still an interesting article. Thanks Mike        John Taylor