A Little Everol History

Started by Midway Tommy, October 20, 2017, 01:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Quote from: Robert Janssen on November 13, 2017, 08:52:58 AM
John Taylor, wow! That is a really nice reel. Fantastic. In great condition too. Great pictures. What a great deal; i would perhaps have bid on it myself had i seen it.

Yes, the star is used to adjust handle position. IIRC the star is threaded, and the domed cap nut is just to cap off the stud nicely. IIDRC, the nut is just pressed into the star. No big deal.

The second, small chromed lever is a freespool lever. It can be used at any time, regardless of what the other lever is set at.

Exact age is really hard to pin down, but I think, based on a long line of consideration of many aspects, that these reels are from the very late 1950s or very early 1960s, like 1958-1962. I also think that mine may be just a little older than yours, not sure.

The broken handle is not a big deal. Just weld it.

Well Robert I am glad you didn't see it !! It is on the way now but the guy sent it "DHL" so no idea how long before I get it as I have never used DHL and it must pass through customs.

I have a friend who is very good welding aluminum so that is what I figured. I will shape the broken part of the star and have it welded also then either check on anodizing or maybe just a paint touch up.

I will post some pics of the repairs as they happen.  Thanks for the info !!    John Taylor

54bullseye

John Taylor, wow! That is a really nice reel. Fantastic. In great condition too. Great pictures. What a great deal; i would perhaps have bid on it myself had i seen it.

Yes, the star is used to adjust handle position. IIRC the star is threaded, and the domed cap nut is just to cap off the stud nicely. IIDRC, the nut is just pressed into the star. No big deal.

The second, small chromed lever is a freespool lever. It can be used at any time, regardless of what the other lever is set at.

Exact age is really hard to pin down, but I think, based on a long line of consideration of many aspects, that these reels are from the very late 1950s or very early 1960s, like 1958-1962. I also think that mine may be just a little older than yours, not sure.

Robert
I got the Everol today. Not bad 9 days from Venezuela shipped by DHL.  The reel is in really nice shape and everything seems to work good other than the broken handle and star. I was surprised at how thick handle is !! I think I can take care of welding both pieces up. I see that the lever drag works backwards from the new models. The free spool lever works perfect as does the free spool itself. Both speeds work good looks like 1 to 1 and 3 to 1 ratios . The clicker works good but seems a bit loose like it might fall out of click mode fairly easy possibly could be tightened up if I or some one opens it up. Will post some pictures of repairs when finished but that won't be until my paving season is finished up in another couple weeks.

I see no serial numbers any where on the reel I assume same with yours ? Robert have you seen others like it ? Did they make bigger or smaller versions of this same reel ? I haven't found much searching around the internet ?

Thanks !     John Taylor

54bullseye

I did find this picture on Google looks to be same vintage reel. Same two speed same free spool lever. Shape of side plates a little different and bolt patterns different. I tried to blow it up to read reel size but it gets to blurry.

Tightlines667

Quote from: 54bullseye on November 20, 2017, 10:52:40 PM

Robert
I got the Everol today. Not bad 9 days from Venezuela shipped by DHL.  The reel is in really nice shape and everything seems to work good other than the broken handle and star. I was surprised at how thick handle is !! I think I can take care of welding both pieces up. I see that the lever drag works backwards from the new models. The free spool lever works perfect as does the free spool itself. Both speeds work good looks like 1 to 1 and 3 to 1 ratios . The clicker works good but seems a bit loose like it might fall out of click mode fairly easy possibly could be tightened up if I or some one opens it up. Will post some pictures of repairs when finished but that won't be until my paving season is finished up in another couple weeks.

I see no serial numbers any where on the reel I assume same with yours ? Robert have you seen others like it ? Did they make bigger or smaller versions of this same reel ? I haven't found much searching around the internet ?

Thanks !     John Taylor

That freespool lever is an interesting concept.  Does it have a separate cam ramp?  Is it pretty much on/off or can one leave the drag lever at a desired setting, and move the freespool lever so it has light drag, such as when fishing large live baits?

Thanks for sharing this stuff.  I look forward to internal photos.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

John
I tried easing the free spool lever forward but it seems like it's in or out. Drag lever can be in any position and free spool works.    John Taylor

54bullseye

Here are a few pictures of the Early Everol 7 1/2  /0 reel I got from Venezuela. Other than broken handle and star it is real nice. My buddy is going to weld both pieces then I will either paint or powder coat those parts. I will post more pics when finished.    John Taylor

Tightlines667

Nice reel John!

Any idea when it was produced?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Has your buddy seen the broken parts yet John? They look like cast pot metal.
-steve

54bullseye

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 02, 2017, 06:49:58 PM
Nice reel John!

Any idea when it was produced?
Robert Janssen said he thinks they were made between 1958 and 1962. I can't seem to find much on them. Notice how drag lever works backwards from new reels. Also the little chrome lever is the free spool. I pulled tail plate off as clicker seemed loose so I was able to tighten it up nice. I noticed the spindle coming out of spool on head plate side is spring loaded so I assume that's what makes reel go into free spool when lever is flipped. The drag side scares me a little so John Elder is going to give it a go through with picture tutorial which either I or John will post when done.     John Taylor

54bullseye

Quote from: oc1 on December 02, 2017, 06:59:32 PM
Has your buddy seen the broken parts yet John? They look like cast pot metal.
-steve
Steve it seems very light so I assumed aluminum and my buddy saw it but he had company and about a dozen beers when I brought it to him so time will tell !!!
LOL !!!!

Shark Hunter

Nice Reel JT.
Were there any Custom fees from Venezuela?
It is in a lot better shape than I expected.
Life is Good!

54bullseye

No customs fees. It stopped at two places in Venezuela then to Panama then Miami next New York then Boston then finally to me. Seems Customs does delay things a bit but nine days ain't bad. I was very happy with condition when it came !    John Taylor

Shark Hunter

Just like from Italy.
People warn you of Custom Fees and Tariffs.
They don't exist.
Just another Plea to buy from a so called distributor in the US with 90% mark ups.
Congrats John. ;)
Life is Good!

54bullseye

Quote from: 54bullseye on December 02, 2017, 03:09:55 PM
Here are a few pictures of the Early Everol 7 1/2  /0 reel I got from Venezuela. Other than broken handle and star it is real nice. My buddy is going to weld both pieces then I will either paint or powder coat those parts. I will post more pics when finished.    John Taylor
[/quot

Well I said I would post a few pictures when handle and star were done there not quite done but all welded up and the worst of shaping and filing done. Not perfect but if I can match the some what Bronze colored paint they will look pretty good. I will post picture of finished product.     John Taylor

Penn Chronology

Nice work on the weld repairs. If you can get the handle knob off the blade Powder Coating is the best. Otherwise Epoxy Paint would be good too. Great Save!