DIY Butt Cap

Started by Bill B, October 21, 2017, 09:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I've had this rod with a missing butt cap and while searching around for a replacement I found a blue HANDBALL not a racketball.  The handball has thicker walls and a smaller diameter than the racketball.  Anyways, using a belt sander held upside down in the bench vise, ground it down to open it up and match the groove diameter of the wooden butt end.    Seems to work, but only time will tell.  Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

Sure worth a try ! Looks good.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Good one Bill.  I'll remember that.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Glos

Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Rivverrat

Metal is durable but noisy & slick. Metal & hard plastic butt caps have a place that dont work so well

When your pulling on the rod the butt wont stay in place it will want to slide... Jeff

Glos

Good point.
Maybe serrated metal end cap.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Rivverrat

glos, there is no right or wrong way with this. We all have some what unique circumstances we fish.  I fish  a lot from a smaller aluminum boat. Hard plastic & metal butt caps are noisy. A lot of people I take out are not accustomed to moving about in a boat with rod in hand silently. 

However metal can be worked & formed to what an individual wants. It will last for ever & shows it's age well. Material of choice for butt caps is up to the one using the rod & what works best for them & their fishing... Jeff

droppedit

I like that better than the old mushroom caps. Thanks for the info.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com