ABU 4600 C5 Gear Ratio Changeout

Started by Kevinm, June 17, 2011, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevinm

I wanted a higher IPT on the MAG X so I ordered a set of new Gears to go from 5.3:1  to 6.3:1
When I recieved them I noticed that the large Drive gear was the same, 63 teeth but the pinion was 10 tooth vs the 12 tooth on the reel.
It worked great, smooth!
Does this seeem right that the large gear is not really needed for the ratio change

Norcal Pescador

Changing either gear will change the ratio. Divide the number of teeth in the main gear by the number of teeth in the pinion gear and the result is the ratio. In your case, 63 divided by 10 = 6.3
It works for any gear set. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Kevinm

I guess I am used to Larger industrial Gearsets. To change ratios the Diameter of both gears change because the tooth count of both gears change.  OR the actual tooth dimensions change for both gears to accomadate the diameters.

The ABU pinions must be designed to allow correct meshing with a number of tooth counts.

Oh well now I have a spare main drive gear for one of the reels when one wears out

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Kevinm on June 17, 2011, 07:03:39 PM
The ABU pinions must be designed to allow correct meshing with a number of tooth counts.

Abu did it right - oh, and one less gear in their inventory might save them a nickel or two. ;D  Glad it was nice and easy.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Snagged2

I don't believe the 5.3 pinion, will work on the 6.3 main gear...   

This can be checked by holding the pinion in mesh with the main gear by hand, and see if the two gears are most comfortable at 90 degrees , or perpendicular to each other..  if they don't,, it may not be pretty using the reel... 8)

Mooki

Actually I saw at a British forum that it is indeed the pinion gear that determines the ratio, the main gear stays the same.
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

alantani

interesting.  to change the gear ratio and keep the distance between the center point of the main and pinion gears constant, you have have to change the diameters of both the main and pinion.  you could not change just one. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Snagged2

Hey Folks,
I have some pictures here may help with the gearing issue with the Abu Garcia 6.3 and 5.3 main and pinion, gears..

The first picture, shows both the 6 and 5.3 gear sets,, Notice the different profile of the pinion teeth..

The next few pics show the measurements of the main and pinion teeth diameter, they're different..

The final picture,, shows, a bit unclearly, you have to look close... the different pitch of the teeth on the main gears.

Each of these parts has a different part number, and, they won't interchange successfully unless they're matched. Ratio to ratio.

alantani

very helpful.  thanks a million!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!