penn 722Z

Started by Alto Mare, October 22, 2017, 11:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on October 23, 2017, 06:32:48 PM
Very clever and skillful, Sal --

If you ever want a NOS crank knob for that 722  --  just let me know and it will be done.

Otherwise, your next project is to take a chunk of the green speckled Corian -- and make a matching drag brake knob.

Good work!

Best,

Fred

Fred, I knew you were there for me if I needed you, thank you.

Quote from: bhale1 on October 23, 2017, 05:00:16 PM
Sal,
Great job on that handle....very creative! One more off your list😀...
Did you ever find the 720z you were looking for?
Brett
Well Brett, coming from you that could be a tricky question ;D

Thanks again guys, it wasn't a big deal, but that's what we do here. :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

happyhooker

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 23, 2017, 10:30:51 AM
I could have purchased a new knob for $2, but making one from scratch gives you a better accomplishment ;D.

For those of us who love to work on our own reels, and particularly, classic reels, isn't that what it's all about?  I can go out and buy pretty much any new reel I want, but to take an old timer, well built from Day One, that's a little dirty & in need of some TLC, and bring it back to life--a very high degree of satisfaction.

Frank

Dominick

Nice work Sal.  I didn't know you knew how to work with stone. ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

Well, Sal, now that you've got a lot more samples and the flat knob under your belt you might as well break out the ol' lathe and turn a few multi colored torpedo knobs.  ;D  

Wouldn't a few of those be unique & pretty!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Tommy, that is too cool, thanks for sharing. Possibilities are endless for some nice custom knobs.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

That's enlightening.  I vaguely knew what Corian was but never thought much about it.  Now I'm wondering if you could carve, mill or CNC side plates from it.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on October 24, 2017, 07:40:45 AM
That's enlightening.  I vaguely knew what Corian was but never thought much about it.  Now I'm wondering if you could carve, mill or CNC side plates from it.
-steve

I'm sure you can, although they might be a little on the brittle side if they're turned to thin. Here's his next vid on turning the stuff.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)