Shimano's "HAGANE" . . .

Started by ez2cdave, October 24, 2017, 03:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

MarkT

Alan Hawk just loves "Hagane"... as in don't get him started!  It's a concept and philosophy embodying "eternally smooth reeling".  Wow, that's technology that you can really get behind.  That's marketing gobbledygook at it's finest!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ez2cdave

Quote from: MarkT on October 24, 2017, 03:43:25 PM
Alan Hawk just loves "Hagane"... as in don't get him started!  It's a concept and philosophy embodying "eternally smooth reeling".  Wow, that's technology that you can really get behind.  That's marketing gobbledygook at it's finest!

I was curious and, according to Google "Hagane" means "Steel" in Japanese. As far as I can tell it uses a "precision cold-forging" process.  As for me, I'll sit back and watch for a while, before buying.

"Eternally" Tight Lines !

MarkT

In Shimano speak, Hagane seems to be anything that involves cold forging of gears and body... which are aluminum, not steel!  After they came out with that 'concept' they modified the literature for all their existing products to include the Hagane term!  It's just marketing gobbledygook.  Shimano has had great gearing for decades and now (well, since 2013) it just has a new name that doesn't mean anything.  Most (All?) of the reel companies have proprietary names for technologies to try to differentiate themselves.

Crow

"Don't sell the steak...sell the sizzle"
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ez2cdave

Hmm . . . Looks like Shimano's "credibility" just went in the toilet !

Tight Lines !

MarkT

They started with the 'Hagane Technology' back in 2013 and you just noticed it?

From alanhawk:
The "HAGANE" technology Shimano has been heavily promoting is fictitious. There are no breakthroughs or new inventions here, and it's the usual marketing nonsense taken to new heights of vulgarity. How vulgar, you say? Look at how they went back and retrospectively marked existing reels as having that "technology", including the 2013 Stella and even the 6 years old 2009 Twin Power SW!

ez2cdave

Quote from: MarkT on October 24, 2017, 05:51:11 PM
They started with the 'Hagane Technology' back in 2013 and you just noticed it?

From alanhawk:
The "HAGANE" technology Shimano has been heavily promoting is fictitious. There are no breakthroughs or new inventions here, and it's the usual marketing nonsense taken to new heights of vulgarity. How vulgar, you say? Look at how they went back and retrospectively marked existing reels as having that "technology", including the 2013 Stella and even the 6 years old 2009 Twin Power SW!

Yeah, I just noticed it  . . . I'm pretty "old school", preferring my original Daiwa BG Black Gold and 2nd Generation Penn Spinfisher SS spinning reels.  All metal, built to last, easy to maintain & fix . . . Perfect !

Tight Lines !

handi2

And think about all the X's..!! X this and X that. X Ship. Most all spinning reels have 2 bearings on the pinion gear. X That...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

The best that In could make of the Hagane concept is that it broadly translates to "cutting edge".

Just another piece of creative marketing hype although when you start applying it retrospectively, it does seem to smack of desperation.
~

Gfish

The Gfish "BS-selling it!" Concept: come up with some obscure cool sounding word. Then pepper your product description text with meaningless, hard to define-relative to your product-terms, such as: unique, precision, extreme, tremendously, super-refined, etc.,etc.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

Abu Garcia uses terms like X-Craftic alloy, Duragear, InfiniMax braking system. They all use marketing gobbledygook.

ez2cdave

Well, as far as I'm concerned, all of the "hype" and outright "BS" is strictly "Kinjite"  !

Tight Lines !

Tiddlerbasher

Marketing BS. I haven't got time for it :P
Time and experience will tell as it always has.

oc1

It's part of reel making culture.  They've been coming up with that crap for over a hundred years.  New manufacturers, new gobbledygook, same old ploy.  Hey.... wait a minute.  Maybe it's the reel buyers making them do it.
-steve