Pro Gear 541

Started by Rancanfish, October 24, 2017, 05:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I'm putting together a Pro Gear 541 from parts laying around.  I used an unmarked yoke that fit my pinion gear, and a Penn 11-99 eccentric jack.

But the reel does not engage when I flip the ecc. handle forward (into gear), and the drag star has no effect when I turn it down tighter.

Did I use the wrong yoke or ecc. jack?  Anybody know the Penn part #'s for PG use?

I PM'd Bryan, but I think he's busy with his boat.

I'm home sick so I can wait for answers, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

I put a 545 together from parts and the yoke was different. Bryan sent me a couple but if he's out I have an extra one I can send. I think it's unique to the the 500 series if it has 4/0 gears. I think it's a 500 size yoke and that takes a 4/0 pinion
Hope you feel better
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

That would be great if you have an extra.  I'm still puzzled on what's going on.  I can play with the side plate assembly and it appears to work, until I put it back on.

I just spent an hour going back thru old threads trying to find something related but didn't have any luck.  It's something simple but I can't see it thru my head ache, lol.

STRIPER LOU

The yoke is definitely different Randy. The regular jackplate from the 113H should be fine. Also, OK to grease internally but don't overload it. Tolerance's are tighter on the PG than the ole penn.  Sheridan is right on the money! Make sure there are no overly sharp edges on the lead in on the yoke.

Let us know how you make out.

...............Lou

Rancanfish

Thanks Lou for the response.  I am looking at a pic of a 113h jack and it seems reversed where it attaches to the eccentric.

I'm looking too, at pics from Mmayo's 545 thread tutorial but still don't know what parts I'm seeing.

OK, I just tore apart my other 541.  The yoke is different for sure.  I put them side by side.....think I just found my problem, lol.  The yoke is almost a 12-99 with a larger opening for the pinion gear.

I'm going to have to bag this reel and take swami up on his offer!

Edit: With my wife buzzing at me to take a nap, I swapped the yoke into this reel. Definitely the problem.  I cross threaded the star, shizznit!  

Anyway, Swami, you have a pm.

Regardless, this reel is a result of knowing Randy Pauly for the win.

I feel like you a bit, Ted.  The body and spool were from RP, everything else was stash. (Note the bearings(meant bushings) and bearing cap from Cortez-Tom).

Maxed Out

Hi Randy, you're right, the yoke you need for your 541 is referred to as a "punched out" jigmaster yoke. Bryan Young should have them in stock.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

Sent you a PM for the yoke, man I love that afternoon nap!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Sorry. Was at the dentist. I missed a lot. Let me know if you need a replacement Sheridan or if Randy, you need a yoke.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

What is that sticking out of the bearing cup?

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 24, 2017, 08:34:08 PM
Thanks Lou for the response.  I am looking at a pic of a 113h jack and it seems reversed where it attaches to the eccentric.

I'm looking too, at pics from Mmayo's 545 thread tutorial but still don't know what parts I'm seeing.

OK, I just tore apart my other 541.  The yoke is different for sure.  I put them side by side.....think I just found my problem, lol.  The yoke is almost a 12-99 with a larger opening for the pinion gear.

I'm going to have to bag this reel and take swami up on his offer!

Edit: With my wife buzzing at me to take a nap, I swapped the yoke into this reel. Definitely the problem.  I cross threaded the star, shizznit!  

Anyway, Swami, you have a pm.

Regardless, this reel is a result of knowing Randy Pauly for the win.

I feel like you a bit, Ted.  The body and spool were from RP, everything else was stash. (Note the bearings(meant bushings) and bearing cap from Cortez-Tom).

David

Maxed Out

That "thing" sticking out of the bearing cup is a Cortez Conversions knulred adjustable bearing cup. They are available on his website
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rancanfish

Thanks, Ted.  Sorry, I didn't see the question or I would have answered.

Bryan Young

Quote from: mrwilson99 on November 15, 2017, 10:03:45 PM
What is that sticking out of the bearing cup? [
I was thinking that it was that brass bushing/bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

Any special purpose? Also, which reel would they fit?

Thanks Ted!

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 15, 2017, 11:05:08 PM

That "thing" sticking out of the bearing cup is a Cortez Conversions knulred adjustable bearing cup. They are available on his website
David

Rancanfish

I think they fit all 113h and jigmaster for sure, maybe others.

EDIT:  Bryan, that is indeed one of the Cortez bushings Tom provided in one of our project builds.  The side plates/frame from Randy Pauly did not come with any parts and I wanted to put something together so I used them. High quality parts from Tom for sure, the freespool is pretty darn good.