alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Halibut or Alligators Jab Stik Info Needed
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 18, 2018, 02:36:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halibut or Alligators Jab Stik Info Needed  (Read 11531 times)
gstours
Sensei

« on: October 24, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »

Recently I was given an item that could be used to subdue a large halibut that was wanted to take home safely.  Ive heard folks call them "Bang Sticks" but am not sure about what I got.....    That said I thought it was 44 caliber,  OR  a 410 guage item?Huh??
     Both cartridges seem to fit.  Its stainless steel, and was fastened to a pole by using the lag screw in my estimation.   Below is a couple of pictures.  It may be able to use and fire either shell without problems .....Butt i,m needing some confidence before trying either.   

There is no name nor numbers on the thing but seems to be professionally marketed.  Any advice would be appreciated.   gst.
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »

Will probably take 45 LC if it takes .410.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:04:30 AM »

The pressure of a 410 shotshell is under 10,000 psi. A 44 Mag can be as high as 38,000 psi. A 45 Colt would be under 22,000 psi. I would guess it is made for a 410 slug. They are also made in 12 gauge.        Rudy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:10:54 AM by RowdyW » Logged
Robert Janssen
Sensei

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »

Don't know why really, but I googled it and found another pic of your type / very similar type here:

From this article

http://www.guns.com/2013/07/12/the-bangstick-keeping-sharks-and-gators-on-the-menu/

PS: The knurling on yours looks very HSM.

gstours
Sensei

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »

Thanks, Iím thinking a target velocity 44 mag is a place to start.  The 410 fits just fine.  Iím not wanting to hurt myself 💥
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »

I can see the reason for the bang stick on gators, but why not just use the real thing on those Butt's?

* IMG_3771.JPG (1908.77 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 100 times.)

Life is Good!
Newell Nut
Firearms Group

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »

Looks like the one we use on our gator hunts. We use a 357 mag and still may take 3 shots on some of them depending on whose doing the banging.
Jerseymic
Firearms Group

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »

I can see the reason for the bang stick on gators, but why not just use the real thing on those Butt's?

Daron, you make me jealous, we can no longer own nice handguns, or for that matter, not a lot else in the U.K.

Still can back home in Jersey (Isles de la Manche)#

Don't know why I moved really!!

Mike.
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »

Gary, you don't need a bang stick.  Just stick a knife in your teeth and dive into the water, swim to the butt and stick it with the knife.  The next time I'm up there I'll show you how to do it.   Roll Eyes Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
Newell Nut
Firearms Group

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »

Gary, you don't need a bang stick.  Just stick a knife in your teeth and dive into the water, swim to the butt and stick it with the knife.  The next time I'm up there I'll show you how to do it.   Roll Eyes Dominick

I want to see the video of this craziness.

Dwight
lawaia

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 04:18:24 AM »

It looks like you were given what some refer to as a powerhead, the business end of a bangstick.  The particular one you have looks to have been modified, as you surmise, to screw into the end of a pole.  It also looks like the particular one you have was made by these folks:  http://www.billsbangsticks.com/, and here's their .410 model: http://www.billsbangsticks.com/410-Gauge-Powerhead_p_15.html.  On that site, you can see the complete pole/powerhead assemblies they sell and find lots more info if you take the time to browse.

Please note that you appear to be missing the hairpin type safety, which goes through the holes in the tapered piece, and whose function is to keep the knurled piece holding the cartridge from sliding back into the stationary firing pin in the tapered base.  PLEASE BE SURE TO GET AND INSTALL A SAFETY PIN BEFORE USING THIS POWERHEAD.  This safety is removed just prior to using the bangstick, allowing the knurled piece carrying the cartridge to slide back and fire the cartridge when you jab it (hard, like you do with a harpoon) into the head of the fish.  Also, the two rubber o-rings should be in good enough condition to firmly hold the cylindrical knurled piece in the tapered piece, otherwise that knurled cylindrical piece, which is essentially the barrel carrying your cartridge, will fall out Shocked Shocked when you have it pointed downward as to bang a halibut.  One other caution, the above linked site does not mention the .410 powerhead as being suitable for any other cartridge so I would suggest you NOT use something like a .44, which - as RowdyW points out - has a much higher pressure, which the powerhead may not be designed to handle.  Note too the recommendation to use a slug rather than shot and to seal the cartridge against moisture.

We use a powerhead made by these guys - http://www.beco-products.com/beco_catalog.htm - because the barrel screws in so there's no chance of it falling out because of worn o-rings or anything, they tell you which alternative cartridges may be used in a given barrel, and they have dual safeties.

Out here in HI the water can be rough and the last thing we need is to be stumbling around a rocking and rolling boat with a bangstick with no safety.  In the Butt Man video I watched, where you fish in AK the water seems a lot calmer but take no chances, we all want to keep reading your posts!

Aloha
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 06:09:47 AM »

Gary, you don't need a bang stick.  Just stick a knife in your teeth and dive into the water, swim to the butt and stick it with the knife.  The next time I'm up there I'll show you how to do it.   Roll Eyes Dominick
Just picture this.... Dominick in his pink speedo with a knife in his teeth....   Shocked Shocked  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:51:35 AM by RowdyW » Logged
Rancanfish

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 06:17:49 AM »

Thanks Dom, this made me laugh out loud.

Rudy, it's too early to picture that~  Wink

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 08:46:41 AM »

Hey Family! Kiss    Tanks aagin for chiming in.  The person who gave it to me said he,d found it in a box of fishing junk that had been discarded.  I want to use the "bang stick" mainly to dispatch the prize halibut quietly.  I have made a siliencer for my single shot 22 by using a 1 litre coke bottle over the muzzzle with tape and shooting thru it partly submerged in the water.....It was very quiet, butt not real effective,    coulda been just my placement....  I have a 410 on the boat and many other choices of handguns butt,,,,,,, a couple of shots on the water and you got company horning in on your sweet spot.   (not that I dont love charter boats)
     Its an interesting device to me as I do already reload target velocity wad cutters for my 44 S&W.   I did make one of these that were some what a copy of what I could find out info on the internet.  It was home made and was 38 cal,  I shot 38 wad cutters in it....Butt the thing took a very hard jab an the fish for fire,  and simple extraction was sometimes a chore.......sooo I put it on the backburner when this gifty came along.    Thanks again for the advise.
    A safety pin like shown would be easy to make and tether.
akfish

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »

The best way to dispatch a halibut is to pour an ounce or so of vodka directly on it's gills. Works like a charm. Really. And you have an excuse to keep a bottle of Grey Goose in the boat...

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: