alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Halibut or Alligators Jab Stik Info Needed
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 20, 2018, 09:37:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halibut or Alligators Jab Stik Info Needed  (Read 11554 times)
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »

Thanks again.  I’m going to try.  Good excuse!🥃. A friend of mine from Florida says that chlorine straight works great but he never used it when I fished with him?  Worth a try.  Quiet.  I wonder if it’s going to the blood to the meat?   Thanks for the tip! 🚶‍♀️🙋‍♂️
lawaia

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »

"a couple of shots on the water and you got company horning in on your sweet spot"...if you bang the fish an inch or more under the surface, the sound is very muffled, one of the benefits of a bangstick vs. a firearm, plus there's no aiming - where you jab is where you hit.  How do you aim through the coke bottle?  Think I saw that on TV, The Shooter, and never could figure that out.  Out here they say you can calm a mahimahi down by pouring beer down its gills but the problem is you have to get 'em in the boat first, and many see that as a waste of good beer! Wink  I'm old as dirt but don't know if I'm mature enough to see Gary in a pink speedo! Shocked  You guys are too funny!   Aloha.
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 02:11:10 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy...good stuff here...

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »

Dom or Gary with knife on their teeth on pink speedos, big fish calmed with vodka and beer

man, I think I'd need another coffee to process this

broadway
Sensei

Broadway Dom, New York City

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »

Gary, you don't need a bang stick.  Just stick a knife in your teeth and dive into the water, swim to the butt and stick it with the knife.  The next time I'm up there I'll show you how to do it.   Roll Eyes Dominick

Isn't it more effective to stick them in the heart or brain instead of the butt, lol.  Couldn't help myself
Cool "toy" Gary... be careful with that thing.
Dom
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 10:28:51 AM »

No ...🏊 personally I believe the person that wants the fish 🐠 puts on the Speedo,s.  I used to keep large fish butt as I got to be a better fisherman changed my mind.😇.....when I was a younger man....

* 09113221-D22D-431E-BD56-B54E3901F68D.jpeg (2460.44 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 101 times.)
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »

Gary, you don't need a bang stick.  Just stick a knife in your teeth and dive into the water, swim to the butt and stick it with the knife.  The next time I'm up there I'll show you how to do it.   Roll Eyes Dominick
Just picture this.... Dominick in his pink speedo with a knife in his teeth....   Shocked Shocked  Roll Eyes

Another entry for "Famous Last Words" --

"Here, hold my beer and watch this!"..

Best,

Fred

Before first light — with nothing less than wonder, and humility — I scan the cool, dark waters for the coming horizon — and the hope of what that deep unknowing might hold for me today...

——————————————————

Nothing happened. The fish just moved away slowly and the old man could not raise him an inch. His line was strong and made for heavy fish and he held it against his back until it was so taut that beads of water were jumping from it. Then it began to make a slow hissing sound in the water and he still held it, bracing himself against the thwart and leaning back against the pull. The boat began to move slowly off toward the north-west.

Santiago knew what he was in for, his lifelong experience had prepared him...

From Ernest Hemingway’s — “The Old Man and the Sea”

"At the Office"
jurelometer

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »

Won't alcohol administered in the gills stop or at least slow the heart rate enough to interfere with proper bleeding?  

And speaking of being careful-  several stories out there about deck and cabin repairs for bang stick holes.  No stories of anything going wrong  with the speedo/knife in teeth method,  but the sample may be too small to be statistically significant Grin

-J
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »

These fish can be hog tied after bring them on board, butt they are likely to hurt something unless they are dead first. Huh?  Usually they can be bled overboard, thats another way of killing them.  Butt thens there is a humane issue?  They can still thrash around and cause a stir.

I,m thinking if a bang stick is legal (and they are where we live)   what cartridge would work in the devise I have.....I,m going to they both the 410 second,  and the handloaded wadcutter 44 cal.   More reports in the spring next year possibly.
    Thanks to all the folks trying to help,  Including the Boss! Wink         gst
Rivverrat

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »

Will probably take 45 LC if it takes .410.

The above statement is correct.

Listen, be safe! Under no circumstance would I shoot a 44mag through that. The 45 & 410 shell are interchangable in various firearms that are made to do this. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:29:38 PM by Rivverrat » Logged
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »

Gary as others have stated above, the .410 shot shell is interchangeable with 45 LC, in firearms built for the 45 LC, when comparing the case diameters the .410 and 45 are similar, but the 44 mag is smaller, by putting the 44 mag in a .410 chamber you run the likely hood of the case splitting or a case head separation which would be REAL bad.  Here are the case diameters:

.410    = .470"
45 LC  = .480"
44 mag=.457"

The 44mag is smaller by .023" quite a lot when you consider the case pressure generated by even a 44 target load.......JMHO......Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
whalebreath

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »

The best way to dispatch a halibut is to pour an ounce or so of vodka directly on it's gills. Works like a charm.
Yes people have used alcohol for ages and it does work like a charm although I don't know about bleeding the fish so important with Halibut.

As to the .410 simple birdshot is what Alaskans of my acquaintance use not a slug.
Rivverrat

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:01 PM »

I will add that using a lite loaded 44 special round may in fact get stuck in the chamber after firing. if your bang stick is for 410  I believe it is. There is enough difference in case diameter 44 &  410 that the 44 special can expand getting stuck. I believe a lite target load of Bullseye or 231 with your wadcutter bullet would do this. Getting a stuck case out wouldnt be to big a deal. But there is other issues.  
These were made for 38/357, 44 mag, 410 & 12 gauge & I think 223 & another, dont remember which one, small pistol caliber.

Also I dont know for sure that they ever made one speciffically to fire 45 Colt.  After rereading through this I just relized no one spoke of who made this. If they did I missed it.

I believe yours is manufactured by Caddo Machined Parts.   I dont know if they are still in business or not. I'm familiar with them from military use. Which I'd rather not go into here.  But check & please dont fire this until you are certain & have verified its caliber & or guage. You surly have a beater rifle or handgun to use for this purpose until then. If not pm your address & I'll send you one.... Jeff  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:13:43 PM by Rivverrat » Logged
gstours
Sensei

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 08:31:04 AM »

Thanks again for the feedback on the bangstick caliber question.   Maybe I dont need to go out there and hurt muself, Butt.  I though this device could be usefull and still is untested by me.    Yes the diameter of the 44 wadcutters case could be difficult to extract as they were on my homade 38 bangstick that I built years ago.  This was the true meaning of single fire!!   I had to tap the spent casing out with a rod butt it was no big deal........ Maybe the 3/8th inch bore was too large as well?   It was cut in the final pass with a sharp bit that measured .375 and the casings would be stuck after firing,  I used wadcutters from my handloaded. target shooting days.
    It seems like the shotshell would work for me the best ?    Currently the ones I have are 71/2 shot somewhat old as well and have paper cases!   Maybe they could be tested in a bucket of water at home?   
  I dont like the slug idea, but then they are available in a 5 pack.    I,m not to going to do anything until the Jury is out!
     Maybe just get the big knife and put on Speedos?    Weeks later they will find me washed up on the beach with the knife stuck up my Huh?? and eaten mostly up with sand fleas?Huh?? Huh?
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »

Thanks again for the feedback on the bangstick caliber question.   Maybe I dont need to go out there and hurt muself, Butt.  I though this device could be usefull and still is untested by me.    Yes the diameter of the 44 wadcutters case could be difficult to extract as they were on my homade 38 bangstick that I built years ago.  This was the true meaning of single fire!!   I had to tap the spent casing out with a rod butt it was no big deal........ Maybe the 3/8th inch bore was too large as well?   It was cut in the final pass with a sharp bit that measured .375 and the casings would be stuck after firing,  I used wadcutters from my handloaded. target shooting days.
    It seems like the shotshell would work for me the best ?    Currently the ones I have are 71/2 shot somewhat old as well and have paper cases!   Maybe they could be tested in a bucket of water at home?  
  I dont like the slug idea, but then they are available in a 5 pack.    I,m not to going to do anything until the Jury is out!
     Maybe just get the big knife and put on Speedos?    Weeks later they will find me washed up on the beach with the knife stuck up my Huh?? and eaten mostly up with sand fleas?Huh?? Huh?

I used a heavy duty, long-handled, stainless steel, .44 cal bangstick with an integral safety for 4 field seasons on large 7'-14' Sharks.  It got the job done, only 1 shot was needed per animal.  I also had a chincy, collapsible aluminum short stick as a backup, but never even tested it.  I didn't really trust the thing.  I think I was using simple ball ammo.

Another option might be to spike the fish in it's brain, like we do here in HI.  It takes a little practice to find the best angle/spot to hit.  You are aiming for the base on the brain at the spinal cord junction.  We have fish spikes, and Japanese style 'kill sticks' available locally.

For fish that go crazy in the cockpit, like large Mahi, I just wedge it's head in a corner or on deck, grab the tail, and quickly bend the fish over while applying pressure to hold him in place.  A quick spike to the brain kills it instantly.

The alcohol thing works too.

John
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:39:19 AM by Tightlines666 » Logged

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: