NJ Seabass/Porgy Trip - 11/30 - 12/1

Started by coastal_dan, October 26, 2017, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

For the past few years I've been Seabassing in the fall on The Voyager out of Point Pleasant, NJ.  Fantastic boat, even better crew and Captain.  We bought spots for another trip on 11/30-12/1 (Leave 10:00 pm Thursday arrive back 6:00 pm Friday).  If anyone is looking for a great time with some fun fish catching you should look into this.  A few people expressed interest last year and I wanted to put it out there.  I'll most likely be doing another trip the very least week of December, but date is unknown as of yet.  If interested post up...there are 22 spots left, I'll leave the spot saving up to each person that wants to go.  Richie (from The Voyager) is very responsive by email.

Tight Lines!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Decker

Dan, I'd love to make this trip and meet up with Philly Ohana, but I have family plans that day.   

Here is a link to the Voyager trip calendar:  http://www.voyagerfishing.com/html/trip_calendar.html

Let me know about the later trip.   

/Joe

coastal_dan

20 Spots still available for that Friday.  My 165 qt cooler showed up, quite a bit larger than my 110 qt...should hold plenty of BSB and Porgies  ;D

Joe - We are going to do the January Tilefish trip rather than an end of season BSB trip, my Tilefish filets stock is down in the freezer...only two packs left  :o. Hopefully the dogfish aren't too bad...
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Decent trip, we only caught about a dozen nice sized keeper seabass, but plenty of undersized seabass, large porgies and all the bluefish you'd ever want.  We vacuum sealed about 30 dinners or so.  We had a great time.  I did miss a monster seabass (est. 6 lber) at the rail, the mate and I were discussing swinging it vs. the gaff and boom...40 lb leader snapped...it was a sad couple minutes, but oh well...at least I got to bring it up from 175ft and get a glimpse.  I'll get him next year, haha.  I love fishing on this boat...Capt Jeff and Capt Dennis were great and mates Dave, Danny and Chris bust their hump...Can't wait until January for another trip...Cod or tile is the question. ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Decker

Good to hear about the trip, Dan.   Sea bass breaking a 40lb leader deserves further investigation.  :-\  Doubtless the bluefish are to blame ::)  Any pictures?

Cod or tile, I'm going to make an effort to be there, sporting AT-inspired gear and Ohana attitude.   Cheers. 

coastal_dan

Guaranteed it was rough and tumbling with the 20 or so bluefish on the individual rig...I used 3 or 4 rigs the whole time, not too bad.  We only lost 4x 16 oz and 2 20oz banks between the three of us.  Last year we went through about 8 of each.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Dominick

Actually Joe a blue fish may have been to blame.  If Dan did not change out or checked the mono after a blue fish there may have been teeth slashes in the line.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

It look like we were typing over one another.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Shark Hunter

Glad you got on some fish Dan-O. ;)
You deserve it.
Got my first cutoff this year Shark fishing from on the beach late at night.
I think a blue was to blame.
Line was tight on a 100 yard drop.
Cut off like butter. Just went limp, to reel in nothing but a cut off line.
I have stocked up on an arsenal of lures. I'm coming for them Next May.
Every one I catch will be shark bait.
I got into some fish this past September casting lures way out past the first bar during the day.
Big Fun, but they would usually shake loose from using hooks that were too big on my lures, before I could beach them.
I am planning my attack.
Those Blues will bite your finger off if you are not careful.
Gulf Piranha is one of the beat baits to have.

Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Daron - Blues are a blast to catch, just not when we wanted some good white meat, haha.

I caught and released a 39" blue back in 2015 from my Kayak, it literally pulled me a round for a few minutes.  What a hoot that was...there is a framed citation in our den that reminds me of it.  When they get that big they just take on their own personalities...those giant yellow eyes get a bit creepy, ha.
Dan from Philadelphia...

bluefish69

I was just reading the reports from the Brooklyn VI on face book. Mike Ardolino posted he had many limits of Sea Bass with Blue Fish as a pest. Some Dog Fish were found & taken care of.

The post is up now if interested

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Decker

Looks like a great time, Dan.   Family fun, and good meals to follow.   I need to get my son out one of these days, but he's a bit young for a long day on the boat.

As a young teen my brother and I would go out on night blue fishing party boats with my grandmother.  The Miss Barnegat Light was one of them.  If I remember correctly, on one of the first trips, we fished with smaller senators or Jigmasters with 30lb mono.  With my drag tight, when the gators (10-16lbs) took a run, I remember the sound of my line snapping like a firecracker.  With a crowded boat, the only reasonable approach seemed to horse them in, but often they would win. The guys casting surgical tube jigs with spinning rods seemed like such a nuisance, because they would be walking their fish past twenty others.  Well, we wised up and brought 50 lb setups the next time -- fished hooked, fish in the boat, no waiting for the gaff 8)  We ate plenty of them.  ;D

Alto Mare

Very nice Dan, always good to spend some quality time with Dad.
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.