Problems with my G454......

Started by r8rs4lf, October 27, 2017, 04:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r8rs4lf

Ok so I scored a G454F today. It was filthy dirty. Almost like it was dropped in a bucket of sand, but it worked just fine. I could just hear some sand grinding when turning the handle. Freespool was great and the drags worked fine.

So I take it apart to clean the whole thing.

Now that I got it together, the handle turns both ways. It doesn't lock at all. The weird thing is when I install the bridge plate assembly to the side plate, it turns both ways. When I remove the bridge plate assembly from the side plate, it only turns the right way (clockwise) and locks when I try to turn it counter clockwise.

Any ideas?

Swami805

Sounds like the stack is is sliding up the gear sleeve a bit when you're when your putting it in the side plate and the ar dog is not engaging because it's moved. Put it back together and put a small rubber band on top of the top hat or spacer sleeve to hold it together while you install it.
What's up with the raiders this year, been costing me some money!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Swami805 on October 27, 2017, 05:32:34 AM
Sounds like the stack is is sliding up the gear sleeve a bit when you're when your putting it in the side plate and the ar dog is not engaging because it's moved. Put it back together and put a small rubber band on top of the top hat or spacer sleeve to hold it together while you install it.
What's up with the raiders this year, been costing me some money!

Ok so when I took it apart I thought it was odd that there was no separate top hat, just a spacer that is part of the drag star. The spacer is pretty long so I just figured it was all part of the drag star assembly and maybe took the place of the top hat.  I'm really not sure if it's supposed to be like that but according to the schematic, I don't see a top hat. I'm looking at the G400 schematic BTW.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but this is my first 400 series reels I've ever worked on. I've worked on plenty of 322's and 220's.

As for the Raiders, you should already know not to bet on them. I learned my lesson many moons ago!

Swami805

Some have a top hat and some just a spacer sleeve. What's happening is the gear sleeve is moving up the spindle a little when you're putting the bridge in the side plate. Try putting the clip or screw in the tippy-top of the spindle to hold everything in place while you put it together. If you're used to P series with the 4 stack the gear sleeve is different and they seen to go together easier. I'll take a few pictures when I get home from work if you need them.
Nice to see the raiders with an expectation of winning this season.

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Swami805 on October 27, 2017, 01:00:55 PM
Some have a top hat and some just a spacer sleeve. What's happening is the gear sleeve is moving up the spindle a little when you're putting the bridge in the side plate. Try putting the clip or screw in the tippy-top of the spindle to hold everything in place while you put it together. If you're used to P series with the 4 stack the gear sleeve is different and they seen to go together easier. I'll take a few pictures when I get home from work if you need them.
Nice to see the raiders with an expectation of winning this season.

I never removed the clip from the top of the spindle.

What your saying does make sense though. Something is definitely moving when I install the bridge to the side plate.

They are expected to win, but man what a tough 4 weeks it was. That win against the Chiefs was fantastic!

r8rs4lf

Here's a few pics.

This is how it all came apart. I added that last drag washer because according to schematic, it was supposed to have 4 total. 3 above and 1 under the gear. It was missing one of the 3 on top. Instead, it had a washer.

Does that spring look right in the second pic?

Yogi_fish808

I'm pretty sure the elbow/"L" on the short end of the dog spring should be hooked over the edge of the bridge and the longer side should sit on top of the dog, keeping it from moving off the post. As of now there's no spring tension engaging your AR-dog.

Swami805

Yogi nail it I think. The spring isn't hooked up.

Buffalo this weekend. Should be a good game