There's Gotta Be...

Started by ChileRelleno, October 28, 2017, 06:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

There's gotta be at least one guy at deer camp who can cook.
Well there are two of us, but  I volunteered to fix dinner for this weekend while we meet to get some final work done.

Plots are planted and sprouting up nicely, so the big part is done.
Now it's all the misc stuff like filling the corn silo, raking the trails to the stands/houses, killing wasp's nests in shooting houses, splitting firewood and lots more.
And all that work will work up an appetite!

So I precooked a batch of Stuffed Moinks and some Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings and have a big bag of Tater Tots to throw in the oven.
The Moinks just need to be reheated and glazed with BBQ sauce.
I did NOT glaze them because it make the bacon soft once they go in the fridge.
Yes the fridge softens it too but not as bad, nothing a warm up in a 400° oven won't fix.

For those who didn't catch my first batch of my Jeff inspired Onion Rings, here's another couple of pics of the process and end products.

Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
Slice large onions into 1/2"+ slices, pop out interior leaving outer 2-3 rings.
Coat rings with BBQ sauce and Rub, I combined the two and painted it on all at once, more efficient.
Wrap in thin sliced bacon, it'll take at least two slices on average.
If you like, add more sauce/rub to outside.
Smoke, grill or bake at 250°-275° till bacon is rendered and has a nice bite through consistency, 1.5-2 hours.

Stuffed Moinks
Start with a baseball sized ball of seasoned ground chuck and flatten it out.
Place a nice  mound of your favorite soft cheese on it, and close it up into a big meatball
Wrap with 2-3 slices of bacon, these had 3 slices.
Smoke at 250°-275° till bacon is rendered and has a nice bite through consistency, 2-2.5 hours.
Glaze with BBQ sauce during the last 30-45 minutes.

I figure a hot Moink with a Ring on top, surrounded by Tater Tots and a salad should have some bellies satisfied.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Swami805

You are a wizard with bacon and an inspiration to us all. Man that looks good!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

I been to a few deer camps, never ate like this though.

ChileRelleno

Man am I tired out, but I'd happily work daily for the next week or two for the chance to hunt my buddy's property.

Moinks were good, Rings were a big hit...  But.
I found out that the Stuffed Moinks don't reheat very well in the oven.
They dry out and get a lil'tough.
Not nearly as good as hot-n-fresh, but there were no complaints.

Today I some still leftover and found a way to make them yummy.
Slice stuffed moinks 1/2"-3/8" thick
In a saute pan melt 2T butter, add one can of Rotel and 1T minced garlic
Saute over med high heat for a few minutes and then add slices
Lower heat and saute till nice and hot
Serve with Rotel sauce spooned over slices

A view from the main room overlooking the 'Front Yard' of the cabin.
These are Cabin Deer, they're almost like pets.
No pressure on them anywhere around the cabin and they know it.
Some of them will come within 10' of my buddy if he sits quietly on the porch steps or a chair.
If I tried it they'd be gone like smoke in the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ezgSSm8Ncs&feature=youtu.be
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

Now that's deer camp.  Just fire up the bbq and wait for the deer to walk into it.

Dominick

Quote from: ChileRelleno on October 30, 2017, 01:06:46 AM

A view from the main room overlooking the 'Front Yard' of the cabin.
These are Cabin Deer, they're almost like pets.
No pressure on them anywhere around the cabin and they know it.
Some of them will come within 10' of my buddy if he sits quietly on the porch steps or a chair.
If I tried it they'd be gone like smoke in the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ezgSSm8Ncs&feature=youtu.be

Chili that's because you are a meat eater.  You smell like a predator to the deer.  You have to fast (go vegan) for a week before the deer hunting season.  ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Quote from: ChileRelleno on October 28, 2017, 06:43:49 AM
There's gotta be at least one guy at deer camp who can cook.
Well there are two of us, but  I volunteered to fix dinner for this weekend while we meet to get some final work done.

Plots are planted and sprouting up nicely, so the big part is done.
Now it's all the misc stuff like filling the corn silo, raking the trails to the stands/houses, killing wasp's nests in shooting houses, splitting firewood and lots more.
And all that work will work up an appetite!

So I precooked a batch of Stuffed Moinks and some Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings and have a big bag of Tater Tots to throw in the oven.
The Moinks just need to be reheated and glazed with BBQ sauce.
I did NOT glaze them because it make the bacon soft once they go in the fridge.
Yes the fridge softens it too but not as bad, nothing a warm up in a 400° oven won't fix.

For those who didn't catch my first batch of my Jeff inspired Onion Rings, here's another couple of pics of the process and end products.

Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
Slice large onions into 1/2"+ slices, pop out interior leaving outer 2-3 rings.
Coat rings with BBQ sauce and Rub, I combined the two and painted it on all at once, more efficient.
Wrap in thin sliced bacon, it'll take at least two slices on average.
If you like, add more sauce/rub to outside.
Smoke, grill or bake at 250°-275° till bacon is rendered and has a nice bite through consistency, 1.5-2 hours.

Stuffed Moinks
Start with a baseball sized ball of seasoned ground chuck and flatten it out.
Place a nice  mound of your favorite soft cheese on it, and close it up into a big meatball
Wrap with 2-3 slices of bacon, these had 3 slices.
Smoke at 250°-275° till bacon is rendered and has a nice bite through consistency, 2-2.5 hours.
Glaze with BBQ sauce during the last 30-45 minutes.

I figure a hot Moink with a Ring on top, surrounded by Tater Tots and a salad should have some bellies satisfied.

I wounded how you where doing Chile?,,,,,i never look at recipe threads,,,it just makes me hungry ""bacon wrapped "" your killing me  :o