Penn 550SS

Started by Alto Mare, October 28, 2017, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

A friend asked if I would service this 550SS, due to its conditions I thought it would be a good idea to post a few pics, in case some of you run into the same situation.
The reel felt very rough and I mentioned that I didn't have many parts for the 550SS, but would give it a shot.
Braking it down:

first thing I noticed, the crack on the drag knob, this is common with these reels

and a look on the inner side...not pretty :)

the pinion was frozen to the housing, gently working a flat screwdriver from the back side I was able to pull it out.
The bearing, bearing cover and spacer wouldn't budge.
Using two flat head screwdriver opposite to one another, I was able to pull the cover and spacer, but not the bearing.

found some stuff that would be good enough to repair a roof :)

the bail wasn't working properly, the bail release was packed with sand. I don't believe this reel was ever opened

I soaked the pinion and still no luck, so I took it to my press.
If the new guys are trying this, make sure you screw the nut on top first, or you'll damage the pinion

one little tap and up it came...love this tool

parts got all cleaned and I was able to reuse all of them.
The red arrow shows a tiny magnet holding the spring, I started doing this and looks like it's helps with keeping the spring from flying out of orbit.

and the finished reel

It is now working very smoothly, he should be very happy.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Good work as always Sal. ;)
Life is Good!

wfjord

Sal, that was interesting!  I recently gave my old 550SS it's first service since I bought it back in the '80s, but it wasn't in nearly the condition that one you had was in! The photo of mine below is after I cleaned it up.

Bryan Young

Awesome Job Sal. Don't you just love tar?  NOT!

Is that Shimano grease you are using on a Penn?  Oh...?!?!? 😁
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: wfjord on October 28, 2017, 02:31:20 PM
Sal, that was interesting!  I recently gave my old 550SS it's first service since I bought it back in the '80s, but it wasn't in nearly the condition that one was in!

wfjord, that looks great, probably wasn't fished or dunked as many times as the one above.
The 550SS, as you probably know, has the best bail release mechanism, well to me anyway, but I always make it a point to close the bail by hand on all my spinners.
When looking at the bottom of the spool, if the anodizing has beem buffed out from thrust washer and an indentation has formed, you could pretty much bet it has been fished very hard, even harder than it was supposed to.

I have a couple of nice ones myself, here is one

I actually have one coming today, can never have too many :)

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 28, 2017, 02:43:00 PM
Awesome Job Sal. Don't you just love tar?  NOT!

Is that Shimano grease you are using on a Penn?  Oh...?!?!? 😁
Yes Bri-Bri, been packing bearings with it and really like it...that stuff aint cheap!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wfjord

Your's looks mint, Sal. I used my 550SS a pretty good bit during my years in Florida and was always particular about not dunking it and also rinsing it in fresh water afterwards.  When I moved away from being close to saltwater it pretty much stayed in it's box for many years enough for the grease to get gummy and somewhat hardened; I guess it was helpful that the factory didn't over grease it.  It did indeed have a nice bail release mechanism, but it was years later that I started closing by hand --except it was hard to be consistent at that when I was also using my 1st generation spinfishers a lot. (Servicing the 550 also helped give me confidence to go into my 750SS.)

foakes

Terriffic job, Sal --

You might have enough of that Henry black gunk to repair a few streets!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Sal!

I'm no expert here but looking at the last photo of the finished reel,

The handle won't clunk as bad IF you turn it around and have the handle pointing to the outside! 8) ;D ;)

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on October 28, 2017, 03:59:46 PM
Terriffic job, Sal --

You might have enough of that Henry black gunk to repair a few streets!

Best,

Fred
Probably Fred, but if I run out, I could always grab some at your warehouse :)

Quote from: El Pescador on October 28, 2017, 05:08:02 PM
Sal!

I’m no expert here but looking at the last photo of the finished reel,

The handle won’t clunk as bad IF you turn it around and have the handle pointing to the outside! 8) ;D ;)

Wayne
Don't cut yourself short Wayne, I appreciate the heads up ;) ;D

Decker

The guy could've at least run it through a dishwasher cycle before giving it to you! :P

Alto Mare

I've seen this many times before, but since we didn't have a tutorial on the 550SS, I figured it would be a good idea to post it.

Sal

Alto Mare

I just found the album for my 550SS, I was planning of doing a tutorial a while back, but forgot all about it.
Since these are more detailed pics, I will still post them here, but won't give individual description on the pics.
This should help someone that has never opened a 550SS.
Here is the order that I do it, all my spinners get the same treatment when servicing them.

The breakdown:

The spool shaft needs to come out first on the 550SS, or you won't be able to remove the main gear.
This wouldn't be the case for the 650SS and up

all the parts completely off the housing:

Cleaned parts, ready for reassembly.

The reassembly:

and the finished reel:

Best,

Sal

Decker

Thanks, Sal. I have several 650's as do friends of mine. This will come in handy. /Joe

Alto Mare

The 650 is a great choice for the type of fishing you do.
Adam has one of mine, eventually he will be making us some Titanium dogs and ratchets.

basto

Hi Sal
I have seen a 550ss with chrome handle. Assuming this is an early run reel. Did any of the 550ss reels have a bronze main gear?
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n