Friday's trip on the big pond!

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 29, 2017, 01:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Got out Friday for around 3 hrs. Really rough sea's and terrible conditions. Reports of blitzing fish in the mouth of the lower river.

Even though only  3 or 4 miles from my marina, there was just no way to make it there safely. Not worth the risk!

The sea has been rough overall this year. It actually looked like the weekend's were better than the weekdays, but, I try to avoid the boat traffic that comes along with the weekend warrior crowd.

Trolling was tough and the only way was with the sea behind you. Albies were all over the place and taking big plugs meant for stripers. They're usually very fussy and only take the tiniest of baits. When they're feeding like this it only means one thing, ..... it's time for them to leave town! Caught about a dozen of these rockets and 3 bass up to the 20lb range.

Plans are to take the boat out next week. As much as I hate too as there will be more fishing, we just seem to get blown out every year at this time.
I kept one of the albies as my friend wanted to try to smoke it. IMHO, its one of the nastiest tasting fish I've ever tried. It has the color and consistency of liver and taste 10 times worse!

Overall it was a good year but not great. No fifties but some fish in the mid 40's and some blitz migration days with a dozen or better big slobs!
Bait was scarce again this season and it all seemed to end up at the Cape Cod Canal as its done for the past 8/10 yrs or so.

Little or unknown spots that usually hold a fish or two were non- existent. Although we always work hard to catch big fish, this year was no exception and if your weren't at the top of your game, .... you went home empty handed. According to my logs I've seen a steady decline in the Stripe Bass fishery for roughly the past ten years and I hope my notes are incorrect!!!

Well, its not here yet but I think its gonna be a long winter?

All have a great day,  ..  Lou

Bryan Young

Very nice Lou. Glad you are safe as well with catch in the boat.

Your Albies look different than albies (albacore tuna) on the West Coast. Albies on the West Coast, the flesh is white and are very yummy, including smoked. That looks close to what we call kawakawa (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthynnus_affinis) in Hawaii except the squiggly lines on the top of the fish. I think the small those skipjack tuna in California.  The meat is dark like blood meat. It's an acquired taste because the taste is very fishy. I personally like that taste myself, especially smoked or dried.

As I digress. Good going Lou.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

STRIPER LOU

Hey Bry, they're called False Albacore here. Amazing fighters and probably get to 10/12lbs or so.

The meat is as you said and reddish almost black in color. I did one on the barbeque grill one time and I couldn't get rid of the stink. I eventually cleaned it with oven cleaner and replaced the lava rock!

The guys here love to catch them on fly rod's.  They're a ball and I have caught them on light tackle, .... they are crazy fighters.

We have and ole junkyard dog that hang's out at the marina who will eat just about anything. Love's raw bluefish but turns his nose up at the albies! I'll se how it turns out in my buddies smoker and let you know.

.....................Lou

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Very nice Lou, good call for not venturing out too far... glad you're safe.
I have caught a few false albacore in the past, they make good bait.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Another good day on the water, in the log books.

Benni3

Good going lou,,,nice fish,,,question pound for pound fight 90% of the time I don't know how big the stripper  is until I see it,,is that the same in saltwater

STRIPER LOU

Hey Benni, They fight well in the cooler waters like Ct. I don't think I've ever found a 40lb plus fish that didn't have power to spare.

When they get that big, they have a broad tail and long deep runs are the norm, especially when caught on artificials.

............Lou

Benni3

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on October 29, 2017, 06:19:37 PM
Hey Benni, They fight well in the cooler waters like Ct. I don't think I've ever found a 40lb plus fish that didn't have power to spare.

When they get that big, they have a broad tail and long deep runs are the norm, especially when caught on artificials.

............Lou
thanks lou ,,,,and keep up the good work,,,very nice strippers you have got  ;D

Three se7ens

Here they call the false albacore "bloodfish."  I only keep them for shark bait, but they sure are fun to catch. 

bluefish69

I was working on deck & told a person to clean the Albie. Soak the Fillets in Milk overnight before cooking.

Never saw him again

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Crow

That reminds me of the recipe for "planked carp'....you split the carp, and put him on a cherry wood plank, roast in the oven for an hour, then remove it...throw the carp away, and eat the plank.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

Quote from: Crow on October 30, 2017, 01:15:17 AM
That reminds me of the recipe for "planked carp'....you split the carp, and put him on a cherry wood plank, roast in the oven for an hour, then remove it...throw the carp away, and eat the plank.
That sounds delicious..   :D  :D