DAM Quick 440N drag washer sequence

Started by dinocappy, October 30, 2017, 12:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinocappy

Hello Guys,
Took my 440N appart set spool a side and bunch of washers rolled out of the top of the spool. Not sure of the sequence how those should go back in.
Not even sure if I have all off them. I got schematic but quality of the print is poor and could not tell wich  washers corespond to one on schematic.
If any off you has real picture of those washers lined up in sequence that  they are suppose to go in let me know. Also plastic gear that goes on the shaft before spool has washers different then other quick reels. This one does not have eared washer. Please shine some light on those details too. Please post it here or send me IM ot email. Thanks. Regards

Tiddlerbasher

Hi, Fred's your man for that - I'm sure he will be around soon.
Oh and welcome :)

foakes

Here is a clear schematic with corresponding part list --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

I don't have a 440N, this is from a 220N, but I suppose it's the same.

festus

Quote from: dinocappy on October 30, 2017, 12:53:36 PM
Also plastic gear that goes on the shaft before spool has washers different then other quick reels. This one does not have eared washer. Please shine some light on those details too.
Here's what the 220N parts look like

Midway Tommy

Sometimes the washers (#14) can vary due to spool fill & line lay adjustments. Just because it shows 2 doesn't necessarily mean that every reel will have 2. I have seen more, and less, depending on what was required for correct line lay. You should have #38, though.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

dinocappy

Thanks Fred!!!
Mistery is 95% solved. I squared lower end. Eared washer was inserted from the bottom end of plastic gear with 2 brass washers on top of it . That is why it look different from all other reels. I lined top washers in order as per your picture. Only thing I am missing is securing clip, but my reel is one with push button on top of the spool for quick release. I do not see groove for clip also opening is hexagonal shape and I do not see groove fo clip.
I see schematic is calling for retainer clip.Greatly apprishiate you quick response, Thanks!!!

dinocappy

Fred,
I have found groove for retaining ring, I also have question on tourqe specification for nut that holds rotor onto the main shaft?
Greatly apprishiate your help. Let me know if you have those rataining rings I will buy few just to have them avalible. PM me on avalibility.
Regards,'

Midway Tommy

Quote from: dinocappy on October 31, 2017, 01:57:39 AM
Fred,
I have found groove for retaining ring, I also have question on tourqe specification for nut that holds rotor onto the main shaft?
Greatly apprishiate your help. Let me know if you have those rataining rings I will buy few just to have them avalible. PM me on avalibility.
Regards,'

You can pick up a retaining clip that will suffice and fit at most any hardware store.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MitchelGarcia

Ah oh. I finally see. My spool is split. Lol, made it easy to install the washers but the front half is loose and wobbly. Is this common? Anyone have a spare?

foakes

I think I have some new complete spool assemblies out in the other shop, Arturo.

But it is late here, 29 degrees, and I am enjoying a warm fire in the woodstove with the wife before hitting the hay in a few minutes.  Probably have a cup of hot chocolate first.

Will check and let you know either way tomorrow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MitchelGarcia

Thanks Fred,
No hurry. This sweet old reel looks like it waited a couple of decades for me to
come along. A few days won't hurt. PM'd you too.

foakes

Yeah, just got back from being in town an hour away all day.

Taught High School Sunday School this morning — then filled up the afternoon with errands.

Got a Ribeye on the BBQ, a baked spud in the oven, and Sue is making a salad.

Will check on the spools mañana.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

MitchelGarcia

Thanks. I will working tomorrow so it's hit or miss sneaking peaks at non-work web sites. Definitely by evening I will be able reply.

MitchelGarcia