old shimano ML4 mega lite

Started by handyandy, October 31, 2017, 05:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

Anyone ever seen or had one of these? Seems like a pretty well made older reel came with dam quick reel I bought a little while back at some point I'll go through tear it down clean everything regrease and reassemble it. Just never seen one before and couldn't find much on it. Seems like a good reel upon inspecting it and pulling a side cover to look at the internals.

handi2

Ive never seen one but i like it :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

maybe an old JDM...  look at the early 80's ML, MLX, MLZ, etc. to see which it most resembles:
http://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/shimano-reel-schematics/shimano-misc-schematics/#gsc.tab=0

if you're lucky, it'll have the big brass(bronze?) bushings on the main gear -- in a smaller F/W reel, you can do a straight swap for bearings & save the bushings for a slightly bigger salt/sand dunkin' Shimano

Ruffy

Looks good! I'd be pretty keen to see some internals if you get the chance!

Cheers,
Andrew

handyandy

I'll try and get some pics of the internals time is pretty scarce for me right now to work on reels that I don't really need to mess with yet. Have about million things that have a higher priority for me right now, as much as I would like to mess around with old reels and fish every day I don't get to. Just moved to a new home and still working on a lot of things on the house, new shop, and trying to get my old home/shop ready to put up for sale. Mix in work, drill, and family things I haven't had any free time lately. I'll try to remember to pull the side cover and take some internal pictures, not sure when I'll get around to a tear down and put back together tutorial/demo.

happyhooker

Doesn't look a lot like an MLZ or MLX.

Frank

handyandy

took some internal pics last night sorry the pics aren't the best was hard to get good ones with the phone when my shop isn't lit the best yet still working on wiring up the new place and getting better lights in. Anyways here you go, it's definitely a keeper at some point I'll go through it completely and use it.

handyandy

thanks for the schematic that is almost spot on. I couldn't find anything for a ML-4, but I haven't been much of a shimano guy so didn't really know where to look. Figured guys on here might know and be interested in it. Sure seems like a nice reel.