Rod Or Blank For Pier Fishing

Started by Rivverrat, November 01, 2017, 08:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Will be taking some time off next year & heading out on my bike. What type of rod is needed for pier fishing from Florida to California ?  I will be packing no more than 2 rods. Like some suggesttions Being I'm from Kansas & dont do this type of fishing much.... Jeff 

Benni3

North Carolina ,,hatteras and morehead piers are good and  Stacey 5 headboat ,,,myrtle beach 2nd ave pier skipp that one. For the Atlantic side of Florida a spinn reel and a 4/0 with 80lb braid ,,,,thats what i take ?,,,,hit Daytona beach pier and de Brooks fishing corner in fort pierce there's a really nice pier there and the headboat a must"lady struart" and you can come in or out of Okeechobee it's a nice ride

Swami805

Out in Cali I like a 9-10 footer for fishing the local pier. 1 rod for 30-40lb and one light spinning rod for catching bait on sabikis. Holler if you'll be by Santa Barbara we can wet a line, lobster season now too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Thanks, guys ! Keep the info coming about individual peirs & gear. I think a light spinner combo is going to be a must have.  Hatteras in North Carolina IS A MUST STOP !   

oc1

I'd take a small Penn 200 to 400 yard reel and a three piece nine foot rod rated 20-30 lb for 3/4 to 2 oz.  Also a small baitcaster on a lighter rod rated for 3/8 ounce lure.  If you look for salmon/steelhead blanks there will be many to choose from.  I'd do a jetty wrap but as log as you keep the handle and fore grip slim you should be able to get one or two rods in a three foot piece of 1.5" PVC pipe with end caps. One rod in a 1.25" piece of pipe.  The trouble with spinners is the guide size.  Big guides are going to need a big piece of pipe.  

I love fishing piers.  You can see everything imaginable and it's an easy place to strike up a conversation.
-steve

Benni3

There's some piers in Sarasota and clearwater I have heard great stuff about and I was there and did not get to fish them,,,, :D

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on November 02, 2017, 05:50:02 AM
I'd take a small Penn 200 to 400 yard reel and a three piece nine foot rod rated 20-30 lb for 3/4 to 2 oz.  Also a small baitcaster on a lighter rod rated for 3/8 ounce lure.  If you look for salmon/steelhead blanks there will be many to choose from.  I'd do a jetty wrap but as log as you keep the handle and fore grip slim you should be able to get one or two rods in a three foot piece of 1.5" PVC pipe with end caps. One rod in a 1.25" piece of pipe.  The trouble with spinners is the guide size.  Big guides are going to need a big piece of pipe.  

I love fishing piers.  You can see everything imaginable and it's an easy place to strike up a conversation.
-steve

Steve, this seems to be very sound advice. My Penn Torque 12 will cover both the midsize & small baitcaster. Comfortably fishing 20 - 60 lb. line by just changing a short leader. Also Blake at Charkbait packed 200 yards of "SOLID BRAID" on this little reel..... I know.... looking at my receipt I couldnt believe it myself. I called & talked with him & he said, yes  as unbeviable as it was, it was correct.

Spinning reel should pack easy enough. Being it will be an ultralite setup, primarily for bait. Other reel will be a 4/0 of some type. I hope to fish some rivers on the way for big cats & a 4/0 size reel will do fine for some smaller sharks.

Swami805

I have 2 two piece 9' rods I've used for beach fishing in mexico and costa rica.  Both are lamiglass, a glb1002mh for 30lb and a xsh10824mt for 15lb. Caught a lot of fish on both and 4 1/2' on a plane wasn't bad, should be doable on a bike. I built both  conventional so guides aren't an issue. Lamiglass are good blanks and the have a huge selection.

oc1

That 4/0 would be good for piers along southeast and Gulf coasts if there are kings or ling/cobia, jacks, tarpon, sharks, etc.   Bob Hall Pier and Horace Caldwell Pier.
-steve

Rivverrat

Thanks for that Steve. Would it be worth it to pack one of my cast nets for bait? Or a light foldable bait trap ? Or are the bait fish around piers like perch in fresh water in they can be easily caught with light tackle & appropriate bait ? ....Jeff

oc1

Maybe.  You will be able to buy frozen bait and hook-and-line bait fish.  A cast net is a lot of weight and some piers do not allow them.  A minnow trap is a lot of bulk and probably not worth it.... IMHO.  They both work better in tidal creeks and marshes.  Also, check state regulations.  They're all different and you may need a license.
-steve

Rivverrat

Oh wow ! Never thought twice about needing a license for any trap or net. All new stuff for me. Great info ! .... Jeff

oc1

Usually it's covered under the general fishing license, but check to be sure.
-steve

Swami805

In SoCal you can't use nets for bait fish at all. Don't need a license to fish from a pier or manmade structure like a jetty but need one to fish on the beach. For very small bait there's tiny sabikis with #8 or 10 hooks.

Benni3

I use the gulp blood worms to catch bait fish,,,but just like you ,,,,I like to know more good piers are  :D