CA Yellowtail/ N.E. Striper Rod

Started by pjstevko, November 02, 2017, 03:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Hi guys I hope everyone is enjoying the start of the fall weather.....I need some expert advise....

I'm heading home to CT for a few weeks to help my mom help clean out the basement and attic from all my fathers "collections" and am hoping to get a little time in the evenings to wet a line going after some stripers....

As a super early Christmas gift to myself I'm thinking of picking up a new longer (8-9ft) rod to use for my limited evening striper fishing in New England but I also want the rod to be able to throw surface irons for yellowtail in California....

I'm going to head to the Bass Pro in Ct to look at rods and then bring/mail back the rod to California so I'd prefer a 2 piece rod. The rod will be used more for yellowtail than stripers but I'd like a double duty rod...

What brands, size, and rating to you recommend for yellowtailing?

Thanks
PJ

pjstevko

I should have also mentioned that the rod needs to be rated to throw at least 3 oz lures and will have a spinning reel mounted to it....

swill88

I'm looking forward to Kil's Black Hole affordable surf rods coming soon.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23066.0

(I don't think I'm getting paid for this opinion :D :D :D)

steve

pjstevko

Quote from: swill88 on November 02, 2017, 04:40:08 PM
I'm looking forward to Kil's Black Hole affordable surf rods coming soon.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23066.0

(I don't think I'm getting paid for this opinion :D :D :D)

steve

It does look great but I'm to pick up a rod in the next 2 weeks....

SoCalAngler

Let me state that I don't use two piece rods so I can't really help there.

But, on the other hand as far as CA yellowtail go IMO you should be looking at the line test you will be using on the rod more than the lure weight.

STRIPER LOU

Hey PJ, maybe when you come over, you can look at what's here in the shop. At the very least it may give you some idea's. Bass Pro shop, Rivers End, and Hillyers tackle are not that far from my place. Although I'm not a big fan of 2 pc rods, there's no doubt when it comes to travel, they have the advantage.

No info on the parking along the Housy as you had asked. Everyone seems to be tight lipped. Almost all my fishing is by boat so I'm at a loss on this one. Even emailed the chief at the HFFA and never got a reply.

Cant say that I'm surprised. Will keep trying though.

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Cor

Throwing iron at Yellowtail is what I do, so I should be able to help but it is not that easy, we fish very differently to what you do in the US and only have a few blanks to choose from.

• For shore fishing or where there is structure in the water I tend to use as heavy a rod as I can get away with, 50lb line, Medium to fast action that can cast 3 - 5 oz, probably 10ft 6 in length.

• I like 2 piece rods for all applications, is just so much easier to transport, though I seldom take them apart!   LOL

• For boat fishing I tend to go a bit lighter, 35lb line, also Medium/fast action, cast 2 - 4 oz, 9ft to 10 ft in length.

Our Yellowtail are much smaller than those in CA, our average size is around 12 lb, so with that in mind I would probably use no less then 50 lb line on a boat rod as well.
Cornelis

pjstevko

Quote from: SoCalAngler on November 02, 2017, 05:59:55 PM
Let me state that I don't use two piece rods so I can't really help there.

But, on the other hand as far as CA yellowtail go IMO you should be looking at the line test you will be using on the rod more than the lure weight.

The spinning reel that will go on the rod with be spooled with 50 or 65# braided line....

ksong

Economic version of 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rods arrived.
But it is a little light for big yellowtail. I would say the rod is good for 20 lb yellowtail. We landed 30 plus lb striper with the rod.  The lure rating is 3/4 oz - 3 oz.

I recommend 9'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Striper rod for yellowtail. The lure rating is 2 - 5 oz and you can land big yellowtail with the rod though the rod is expensive than the economic version rods.
They are all two piece.

pjstevko

Quote from: ksong on November 03, 2017, 07:47:39 AM
Economic version of 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rods arrived.
But it is a little light for big yellowtail. I would say the rod is good for 20 lb yellowtail. We landed 30 plus lb striper with the rod.  The lure rating is 3/4 oz - 3 oz.

I recommend 9'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Striper rod for yellowtail. The lure rating is 2 - 5 oz and you can land big yellowtail with the rod though the rod is expensive than the economic version rods.
They are all two piece.

Thank you for your input on the rods.... I can't justify the price of the Cape Cod Striper because it'll only get used once a year.... Actually even the price of the Suzuki is pushing my budget but I know it'll last a lifetime...

ksong

Here is a yellowtail using 10'2" Black Hole Suzuki rod in Korea. But I don't recommend to use the light 10'2" for yellowtail unless you know how to fight with light rod. :) The 9'6" Suzuki rod can handle decent size yellowtail.