GARMIN ACQUIRES NAVIONICS

Started by Dominick, November 02, 2017, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Every time I hear news like this I delay getting new electronics, hoping if I wait that I'll get amazing products.

I've waited 10 years at least.  ;D  I still have dinosaur bones for knobs on my Garmin gps.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

what?  right after I upgrade all my electronics with TOL Raymarine products and Navionics platinum + charts.  figures their competitor buys out the chart company. I suppose next they will drop their support for Raymarine MFD's.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 03, 2017, 11:36:11 PM
See what I mean?

I do!  Doesn't matter how much I spend or how new the electronics are, within a short period they are outdated by newer technology.  Not to mention stuff like this, I have used navionics and Raymarine for 10 years.  We will see what navionics does, I may have a really nice expensive navionics chip for a newer Raymarine for sale shortly.

Dominick

Yes, sometimes you get burned.  Always be leery of closeout sales.  It usually is a harbinger of newer technology making the close out stuff old technology, though it may last long enough to give a lot of years of service.  The problem arises when the company does not support the old stuff anymore.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Raymarine's new policy is when the new model comes out, the older model loses support.  That's why I bought new! I get the whole five years! Or until a newer model comes out. They did catch me on one item, I purchased a remote mounted key controller so I don't have to try and use touch screen while under way.  It's an RMK9, I bought it new a year ago This month.  I thought I was having a problem with it so I went online looking for support, lo and behold Raymarine discontinued the model and now sell a nearly identical RMK10 in its place.
Fortunately the keypad wasn't malfunctioning it was the operator, I had disconnected power to the batteries while diagnosing an alternator issue and the keypad is blue tooth.  Had to reconnect it and it works fine.