For Sale:International 12

Started by Maxed Out, November 02, 2017, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

OMG...WTH DID I JUST DO!!?

I just destroyed the finish on the beautiful reel and frame.  

I didn't have any simple green at my place, so I stupidly substitutited Purple Power (diluted 4:1), and ran the parts through my sonic cleaner for 15 minutes.  When I pulled them, the anodizing on the sideplates, spool, frame, clamp, and drag cover had been destroyed.  

Kinda makes me sick to my stomach :(

I should know better, but what's done is done.  

I still plan to service and fish the reel.
So, I ordered a TRQ300LD carbon drag washer to modify and glue to the spool, a new pinion bearing, and some Belleville washers.  This reel is a first generation 12 not a 12H, and as such there is no stock carbon drag upgrade available.  I will go ahead and upgrade the drag material and see what kinda numbers I can get.  

Not sure what to do about the finish?  Maybe try painting the aluminum components, or just leave it as is?

I am sure glad this was my reel and not a customer's.  Still makes me sick to know that I destroyed that beautiful finish on this gem.

:(
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

check with a local anodizer.  parts can be polished and anodized gold, or any other color that you want.  think of it as an opportunity! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on November 27, 2017, 04:35:27 AM
The sky is the limit with these reels.  2 speed conversions, bigger drag systems.  Balancing, casting bearings.
I got two words for you.
Cal Sheets.

I talked with Cal the other day, and in hindsight, I should have sent the reel and frame to him.  He likes working on the 12LT the best though, and it was tough to make it make financal sense.  

Those super 12s are sweet reels though.

Looks like I messed up on this one.  My goal of 15-18lbs drag is likely overly optimistic on this 12 since it will only be getting a carbon fiber washer (glued to the spool), and new bellevilles/steeper ramp.  The 12H or 12T or 16S would really be better candidates for blueprinting.  

Looking at the internal components, it seems one would have to invest quite a bit to increase the drag significantly on this reel.  Converting to 12H (spool, drag washer/plate, spoolshaft/pinion, main gear) to start.  It might be possible, with some machining to figure out a way to boost drag surface and cam ramp up on this model, but it does not appear to be a simple process.

I wish I had one of each of the 12 series reels on my bench to play around with and check parts comparability, measurements, and the like, but unfortunately, I don't.  I'll keep my investment cost down, and fish it wherever it comes out.. maybe a 20lb reel.

Those Baker 12s are pretty sweet too.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on November 27, 2017, 04:56:49 AM
check with a local anodizer.  parts can be polished and anodized gold, or any other color that you want.  think of it as an opportunity! 

I love your optimism Alan!

:)
Hope springs eternal

Smols

That's a bummer!

Maybe put those side plates back in the ultrasonic cleaner with more purple to take it all the way down to bare aluminum, and then polish the side plates and the spool. Would be a bit larger project than you had anticipated, but I think the polished aluminum would look great with the gold frame and the other chrome parts on that reel.

Still a sweet reel, I'm sure you'll figure something out that will make it look great.  

alantani

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 27, 2017, 05:00:12 AM
Quote from: alantani on November 27, 2017, 04:56:49 AM

I love your optimism Alan!

:)

remember this?  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7432.0

David Hall

Yep the door to opportunity is opening.  Custom colors, nothing like them.

Rancanfish

Oooh, sorry to hear that.  I just had that same sinking feeling a few days ago when I used carb cleaner, and it melted an adjacent plastic part on a hard to find reel. 

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

yay !!

things just got more interesting now, now for sure your finished build will be one of a kind if you go for the custom anodizing colors
The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Unfortunately, no one in Hawaii provides anodizing services.  I may have to send it back to the mainland.  Does anybody have any recommendations?

Reel Colors?  Penn Custom Shop?
Hope springs eternal

alantani

email http://www.arnoldmetalfinishing.com/#home, talk to them and see about polishing AND anodizing.  if it works out, send it to me and i can get it taken care of on this end.  i'll bet they're alot cheaper them reel colors. 

foakes

Personally, I think I might just remove the rest of the gold anodizing with some HD "Greased Lightning" in the stronger or commercial grade -- then polish it out to a natural aluminum mirror finish like on mag wheels.

You mentioned you did the new frame also -- but I do not see it in the pic.

At any rate, all you have is the plates, spool, and frame to do -- I do this with rubber gloves and the finest scotchbrite pad.

Or, an anodizing firm will remove the rest of the color for you easily -- then you can either choose your colors, or just polish to a mirror natural finish.

Here are a few on the Islands -- have you tried any of these?

https://www.yellowpages.com/honolulu-hi/aluminum-anodizing

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Are you able to pull the shaft on the spool ?? The anodizing process will disintegrate the shaft, so it must be removed to be re-anodized.

My plater does strip and re-anodize, but so far I've had zero luck with the final product. There seems to always be blemishes in the finish no matter what I try. Perhaps a different plater could do better.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

alantani

i understand it's the polishing that is hard. 

Tightlines667

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 27, 2017, 07:01:00 PM

Are you able to pull the shaft on the spool ?? The anodizing process will disintegrate the shaft, so it must be removed to be re-anodized.

My plater does strip and re-anodize, but so far I've had zero luck with the final product. There seems to always be blemishes in the finish no matter what I try. Perhaps a different plater could do better.

Ted

No, I can not remove the spool shaft from the spool.  It is pressed in place.  Also, there are bronze bushings, and a Stainless cam pressed into place on the head plate, and 2 bronze bushings for the clicker on the tailplate.  

This has been my concern from the start.

Fred,

I checked with those, a number of other listings, and some of my machinist, and reel guys.  Everyone has told me that there aren't any folks that do it professionally here.

Alan,
Thanks for the contact info.  I will give them a call.  I thought reel colors might have some experience dealing with anodizi g international plates that have other metals pressed into them.

John

I know reel
Hope springs eternal