For Sale:International 12

Started by Maxed Out, November 02, 2017, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the old internationals are funny.  some pieces are pressed in, some are actually screwed in.  very weird.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

If you apply some heat to the spool you should be able to press the shaft out, same with other pressed in parts
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 27, 2017, 10:56:12 PM

If you apply some heat to the spool you should be able to press the shaft out, same with other pressed in parts

Hmm..

I am not sure I am comfortable with trying to press the shaft out.  I do have an arbor press and could build a jig, but I sure don't want to bend the shaft.  Does the arbor pin press into the shaft as well?  Not sure how to pull it out without damage?  The small bronze bushings might be difficult to be pull too.  I think the cam could be pressed out, but there is a small hollow pin pressed in/holding it in place.  This could be problematic.

Alan's recommendation said that they can mask the spool, and other pressed parts so they don't degrade or get anodized.  They had very reasonable prices.

Reel colors has a lot of experience on refurb and anodizing these older Internationals.  He was confident they could deal with it without issue, but didn't want to share his trade secrets.  He wants nearly 3Xs the $ though.

Hmm...

I am inclined to just let the CA guys give it a try.  If the spool shaft is damaged, I would have to try to source a replacement.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Fred's idea is likely the safest route.  A different colored 12 would be cool though.
Hope springs eternal

thorhammer

send that baby to REEL COLORS and put one of Ted's new handles on it to match when they come out.

David Hall

I'd go with the local guys, we've all seen their work and it's top shelf.  I'm very interested as I wouldn't mind having my 12 reanodized in some flash color scheme.  A few others I'd like to have done as well.

Shark Hunter

Whatever you decide John, I hope you get it sorted.
I think it would be a perfect candidate for the new Hydro dipping process.
The finish is Durable and you can turn it into anything you want.
I don't know if you saw the Funkadelic Everol, but the clear coat I believe is epoxy based.
The Hydro Dip Process has really evolved over the past few years.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23320.0
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Well, it turns out Ted was right, as usual.  The shaft, and arbor pin would need to be removed before it could be anodized.  Also, cost is around $250 anyway you cut it.  I really don't want to spend more then I could buy a new 2 speed with Beyer specs for on this one.  Then again, it does deserve some respect.  I am thinking of having a local guy CeraKote it, since the finish is more durable, and it could be done without removing the pressed in parts.  I may consider doing my shotgun as well.

I have been researching various coating techniques and available services, and your right Daron, that hydrodipping is pretty darn cool.  Not sure this little reel is the best candidate though, simply due to cost considerations. 

I will keep folks posted.

John
Hope springs eternal

Maxed Out

Don't feel bad John, I've done much worse......Look at the glass as half full and be thankful it was your personal reel and not one of your customers. You are now a few days older and much wiser !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!