alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial For Sale:International 12
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 16, 2017, 05:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Sale:International 12  (Read 1846 times)
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »

the old internationals are funny.  some pieces are pressed in, some are actually screwed in.  very weird.....

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Webmaster

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »

If you apply some heat to the spool you should be able to press the shaft out, same with other pressed in parts

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »

If you apply some heat to the spool you should be able to press the shaft out, same with other pressed in parts

Hmm..

I am not sure I am comfortable with trying to press the shaft out.  I do have an arbor press and could build a jig, but I sure don't want to bend the shaft.  Does the arbor pin press into the shaft as well?  Not sure how to pull it out without damage?  The small bronze bushings might be difficult to be pull too.  I think the cam could be pressed out, but there is a small hollow pin pressed in/holding it in place.  This could be problematic.

Alan's recommendation said that they can mask the spool, and other pressed parts so they don't degrade or get anodized.  They had very reasonable prices.

Reel colors has a lot of experience on refurb and anodizing these older Internationals.  He was confident they could deal with it without issue, but didn't want to share his trade secrets.  He wants nearly 3Xs the $ though.

Hmm...

I am inclined to just let the CA guys give it a try.  If the spool shaft is damaged, I would have to try to source a replacement.

John

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:34:31 PM by Tightlines666 » Logged

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »

Fred's idea is likely the safest route.  A different colored 12 would be cool though.

Hope springs eternal
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »

send that baby to REEL COLORS and put one of Ted's new handles on it to match when they come out.
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »

I’d go with the local guys, we’ve all seen their work and it’s top shelf.  I’m very interested as I wouldn’t mind having my 12 reanodized in some flash color scheme.  A few others I’d like to have done as well.
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 11:08:24 PM »

Whatever you decide John, I hope you get it sorted.
I think it would be a perfect candidate for the new Hydro dipping process.
The finish is Durable and you can turn it into anything you want.
I don't know if you saw the Funkadelic Everol, but the clear coat I believe is epoxy based.
The Hydro Dip Process has really evolved over the past few years.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23320.0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:46:58 PM by Shark Hunter » Logged

Life is Good!
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »

Well, it turns out Ted was right, as usual.  The shaft, and arbor pin would need to be removed before it could be anodized.  Also, cost is around $250 anyway you cut it.  I really don't want to spend more then I could buy a new 2 speed with Beyer specs for on this one.  Then again, it does deserve some respect.  I am thinking of having a local guy CeraKote it, since the finish is more durable, and it could be done without removing the pressed in parts.  I may consider doing my shotgun as well.

I have been researching various coating techniques and available services, and your right Daron, that hydrodipping is pretty darn cool.  Not sure this little reel is the best candidate though, simply due to cost considerations. 

I will keep folks posted.

John

Hope springs eternal
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Webmaster

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 11:16:52 PM »

Don't feel bad John, I've done much worse......Look at the glass as half full and be thankful it was your personal reel and not one of your customers. You are now a few days older and much wiser !!

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: