The Drag kit for the Second YTS/ Product Review

Started by gstours, November 03, 2017, 12:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

After fishing the 454 YTS that I posted piks of here this year I had the good fortune of finding another box stock reel in good condition.
    The Drag, maingear, and drag star will be a little different on the #2 reel.  ;)    Even tho it worked fine and everybody fishing it liked it, a new Drag Insert Kit was planned to test out.    It is shown below.   From Adam Fourier of Motive Fab on this forum.

This is the first true drag kit i,ve ever used.   Usually i,ve gotten an Insert, the added bits and pieces .   Some had to be Ho made.

To me this above paper says a lot more than it says!!!! 

The insert is stainless steel,  very strong!

the fit is very good,  precise what is needed.   No tig tack or JB Weld  as some of my gears received.

As before a steel gear is used.......As I cant find a hex gear in 3.30/1 ratio.   This will work fine.

Adam sure makes a nice tidy package as shown.   I,m impressed with the details in every piece of the kit.

Even a Delrin undergear washer is included.   Top notch idea from the folks here on the forum who have tested, experimented,and werent satisfied with the stock reel parts.    Kudos to all improviser/inventer/tinker/fiddlers out there.
     I have hopes to test this reel to the maximum of its potential next summer.   ;D Stay tuned for the drag in the yard boring stuff first?  :-\

joel8080

I've  done the same upgrade to my 454, it now has every mod available except double dog I do not trust myself Do the job, the real is fantastic and the insert works just great,

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

gstours

Mr Joel;  I,d be glad to mill your side plate and make you a spring as shown in my earlier post of my first one if your interested.   cost would be low.   friend to friend.   If your interested in the double dog, find a sst 113h dog.   or send me a brass dog,  and enclose the sideplate and dog,   send to me.   I dont mind at all.  I will be able to do it in mid to late january as i,m not home till then.
    The cost will be minimal for simultaneously engaging dogs.   I can make you the leaf spring from titanium such as mine.   These work great.
  If anybody else wants this service as my offer pm me and lets arrange what works out best.  these alum endplates are as simple as the plastic ones for me.   Thanks for the interest.

As I willl be doing a plastic plate and a alum j variance plate about then as well.    Fiss Honn! ;D

STRIPER LOU

joel8080

Oceanside,California

handi2

Very nice Gary. Looks like a machine shop did it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

At the present time I,m planning on using a steel main gear from a penn 113h with the 3.3 ratio.   I don,t have one yet and would like to buy a good one from anyone that is interested in parting with one.    If you have the matching pinion gear that would be great....  Thanks,  no hurry!   Just sometime this winter.   Thanks. ;)