Hard Core Spinner Users

Started by Rivverrat, November 04, 2017, 06:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I'm building a combo for a great friend who was badly injured while serving our country. I'm not a hard core user of egg beater reels neither is my buddy. However this is what he will need to use now.

The situation is while fishing the river bank there is not always a handy way to keep a combo thats with out clicker & free spool from being launched into the river by a fish. Leaving the bail open with current or boat weaving at anchor in the wind on a lake wont work. Is there any way to keep maybe 5lbs. of tension on line with bail open. Been thinking of velcro or rubber band rapped around rod then line, pinching line to the blank for friction.

Could use some input....Jeff

oc1

Can you just back off on the drag?
-steve

Crow

Backing off the drag is my usual way.....and on a few reels I have installed a stiffer spring on the "drag alarm", so it "clicks" a bit louder (I'm getting a "bit" hard of hearing !)and then it's easier to tell when "something" is happening. I also, sometimes use an old fashioned wooden clothespin (the spring kind) to clip the line to the rod....then leave the bail open, letting the "pin" fold the line....you have to experiment a bit to get the right amount of "release pressure".   I refuse to use the little clip-on bells, but those WOULD probably work instead of the stiffer drag alarm spring ?!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

a nice Baitrunner is appropriate for "a great friend who was badly injured while serving our country"

on the cheap: Cabela's used to have tiny red plastic vise-like thingamajigs you put on your foregrip w/ a zip-tie, that pinch the line & have a screw for adjustable tension...  sorry, don't know what they're called

neither will give you "5lbs. of tension", but that's silly -- 5 lbs. would easily launch most combos into the river...  you'd rarely need more than 1/2 lb.

Swami805

Any reel with a bait runner feature will work. I'm not a fan of spinning reels in general and have a shimano baitrunner gathering dust somewhere. Yours if you want it for your hurt buddy.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on November 04, 2017, 08:16:28 PM
Any reel with a bait runner feature will work. I'm not a fan of spinning reels in general and have a shimano baitrunner gathering dust somewhere. Yours if you want it for your hurt buddy.

I greatly appreciate your very nice offer.   A reel that would fish the appropriate drag level while having this line out feature / baitrunner feature would be the perfect answer. The last thing I want to is to be offensive to any one who is thoughtfull enough to make such an offer.

The issue is the reel will need to make enough drag for 50 - 60 lb. line. While I'm not completley familiar with Simano's bait runner feature other reels I've worked on with a similar feature have seemed problematic.
Also I already have a heavy spinning reel for him. Again, very nice of you to make such an offer it is appreciated.... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: philaroman on November 04, 2017, 08:11:33 PM

neither will give you "5lbs. of tension", but that's silly -- 5 lbs. would easily launch most combos into the river...  you'd rarely need more than 1/2 lb.

Please understand the reel & rod combo will be heavy to start with & at 5 lbs. of drag vs 15 or 20 lbs. it is very easy to come up with some way to keep the rod from launching into the water. A simple tripod set up will work. Also using circle hooks I have found 5lbs. of resistance will set the hook most every time. 

Guys after playing with the drag stack I think I can achieve what I'm after. With out having to turn the drag knob several revolutuions to get the desired drag... Jeff

handi2

If the current is real fast the baitrunner rear drag might not be strong enough. Tightened all the way is not much drag. A rubber band plus the baitrunner drag might work. Just use a Shimano baitrunner reel. They are the best and they last.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

Yeah don't think you'll get anywhere near what you looking for with a baitrunner. Might have to step up to one of those high dollar reels to get that many pounds of drag. Good Luck!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on November 04, 2017, 07:45:47 PM
Can you just back off on the drag?
-steve
The issue is or was having to turn the drag knob so many times from a low setting to the desired level. But I've solved that issue. Then again, I dont use spinning reels all the time & maybe I was making an issue of somthing that really wasnt....Jeff

handi2

The Shimano baitrunner has plenty of drag for 60lb line. There are Carbontex sets for all of them.

I have used the rubber bands to tie line off. We used them for an instant drop back when the band breaks.

If you get the drag stack as thick as possible the drag will tighten faster. Even if you have to leave the retainer off. Nothing will happen unless you take the spool back off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL