Silaflex M50

Started by Swami805, November 04, 2017, 08:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Greetings I'm restoring a silaflex M50 and I'd like to get it as close to a factory wrap as I can. Looking for the colors and style or wrap. If anyone has a picture of a factory wrap from this era that would be great. Here's a picture of the original label. I've looked online but found nothing heavy with roller guides
It's the tip section of a Neptuna I'm restoring for a member so I'd like to get it perfect
Thank Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

ask here:
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=89713fb6a09de453806d52161f9660bc

they're "fly guys", but they really know ALL vintage glass

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on November 04, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
Greetings I'm restoring a silaflex M50 and I'd like to get it as close to a factory wrap as I can. Looking for the colors and style or wrap. If anyone has a picture of a factory wrap from this era that would be great. Here's a picture of the original label. I've looked online but found nothing heavy with roller guides
It's the tip section of a Neptuna I'm restoring for a member so I'd like to get it perfect
Thank Sheridan
Sheridan
I have a 12/0 Penn mounted in a Nep-Tuna cradle that has a Silaflex BH50 blank on it. I am not sure what the roller guides are possibly Allen's not sure. The colors are probably not Silaflex because it's not a stock rod but who knows maybe this is color they used when mounting them to Nep-Tuna cradles although I have a few other Nep-Tunas with Silaflex rods that have brown wraps. This combo I was told by seller came from a guy who fished Sturgeon on the Columbia river in Oregon hence the popsicle stick wrapped on just ahead of fore grip. I guess you could leave reel in free spool with clicker on and just put a loop of line in popsicle stick to hold it against current. When fish took bait out comes loop and fish could run against just clicker. Sorry I don't have a 100% stock Silaflex but if it's going into a Nep-Tuna it may not have had true Silaflex colors.     
Thanks   John Taylor

54bullseye

Sheridan
I pulled out the biggest of a Nep-Tuna set I bought from a guy in California. This is a 9/0 Penn Senator then I have a 6/0 and 4/0 Senator and a 349 Penn all with Silaflex rods all same colors and wrapped for "H.B.Estes and wrapped by "Rod and Reel Shop" Balboa Island, Calif. Again not stock Silaflex but for Nep-Tuna cradles.
John Taylor

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Sheridan, all of the original factory wrapped Nep-Tuna Silaflex blank rods that I have seen use the brown over white wrap that John shows in his photos.

Swami805

Thanks for the replies. Brown and white easy peasy. Were the wraps finished with any foil or use that open wind like in this picture?   I might add something for interest since the rollers are such long wraps maybe a few pin lines. Looks like I have some leeway
Thanks again guys

Swami805

Try this picture again

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on November 19, 2017, 05:13:41 PM
Try this picture again

That is a picture of the newer rods that were actually sold by Nep-Tuna. I don't think they were made by Silaflex !

Swami805

Yes it is a neptuna tip, I should have been clear about that. I was just thinking of doing the trim similar to that but in brown and white and maybe leave out the foil. Seemed to be a common way to dress up the wrap a bit. Thanks

54bullseye

Yeah you said Silaflex !!  This post shows my buddy droppedit rebuilding the same rod in black.    John Taylor

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20125.0

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on November 04, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
Thank Sheridan

So what is this rod you have pictured go to ??   John

Swami805

The short version of the story is I'm restoring the tip section of a neptuna with a penn 49. Had 2 options to work with, a neptuna tip and a silaflex tip. Turned out the silaflex was a better match with the line weight and also getting the ferrule to fit. Was just showing the neptuna for some feed back for an example of the wrapping style. Sorry for the confusion.
I followed that thread, Great rod and a beautiful job.
Thanks again for the help. Sheridan