Penn 9 peerless

Started by Eddie Hernandez, November 05, 2017, 08:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All, I have disassembled a penn 9 peerless, I replaced all the drag washers and greased/oil the necessary parts and I'm now ready to reassemble the reel but can't get the main gear assembly to fit in the side plate?? What am I doing wrong ? I recently restored a penn 160l and a penn 940 and didn't have this issue. Is there a certain approach when installing the main gear assembly on the penn 9? Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Eddie

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: Eddie Hernandez on November 05, 2017, 08:32:51 PM
Hi All, I have disassembled a penn 9 peerless, I replaced all the drag washers and greased/oil the necessary parts and I'm now ready to reassemble the reel but can't get the main gear assembly to fit in the side plate?? What am I doing wrong ? I recently restored a penn 160l and a penn 940 and didn't have this issue. Is there a certain approach when installing the main gear assembly on the penn 9? Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Eddie

Crow

The "chrome" inner ring needs to come off, then you can re install it, after the "guts"  are in the face plate......they sometimes fit pretty "snug", so you may need to gently "pry" it.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

handi2

Eddie remove the chromed ring next time. It gets in the way when putting it back together. Put the ring on last.

Also put the left side with spool and right side with gears together with the level wind guard in place. You can put the worm gear in last.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Eddie,
I have gouged my finger enough times with a knife or pic trying to pry plates off.
Put it in the freezer for a few minutes, then try.
Use a butter knife or something not sharp.
I've cut the piss out of my hand several times getting in a hurry. ::)
Life is Good!

Eddie Hernandez

Thanks S.H I will deff proceed with caution.
I will keep you guys posted.

Thx

oc1

Pry from around the edges, not from the center.  Your ring is already a little bent and you can tap it flat with a piece of wood after it's off the side plate.
-steve

Eddie Hernandez

Got home at midnight and couldn't resist going down to my workshop and prying this faceplate off and i was rewarded for my efforts,  it came off pryin on the edges (thx steve) i got it off using a nylon prybar set normally used to remove car interior panels.

Thanks everyone for all the words of wisdom can't wait to finish it up I have 2 more to go.

Yes Steve I did bend it a bit prying from the middle i will tap it back to shape thanks for the input kept me from smashing the plate even more.

Thks

Eddie

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: handi2 on November 05, 2017, 10:24:59 PM
Eddie remove the chromed ring next time. It gets in the way when putting it back together. Put the ring on last.

Also put the left side with spool and right side with gears together with the level wind guard in place. You can put the worm gear in last.

Hi All/ Handi-I finally had some time to try to assemble the penn 9 and had a difficult time doing so, wasn't sure when to install the dog & spring, i also had to figure out the correct placement of the dog and spring, i really struggled through it but managed to get the guts in and now the only part left is the worm gear and bars. The knob really does alot of squeaking tried some reel x hope it works..

Eddie Hernandez

Hi Gents!!! Finally finished the Penn 9 Reel thank you all for your help!!! This reel was a real pain to work on and deff gave me the most trouble compared  to the Penn 940,160,77,704z.

mo65

Success! Good job Eddie, the reel looks great. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

handi2

Its that little dog and spring that gives all of us trouble :'(
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Eddie Hernandez

that levelwind was playing hardball also!! >:(

alantani

yeah, i use a rubber band to hold the reel together while i shimmy the levelwind assembly into place.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!