Penn 9 peerless

Started by Eddie Hernandez, November 05, 2017, 08:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

i will deff try the rubber band approach i have 2 more to service! thank you for sharing..

ed

Eddie Hernandez

the knob makes so much noise(squeek)any tricks to shut this knob up? fishing all day listening to that is going to get me thrown overboard ;D

I have tried to oil no luck.

Crow

Is the knob "tight" when you spin it ? You should be able to "flick" it with your finger, and get several revolutions (quiet ones !), if it IS tight, and considering the "squeak"....the oil isn't getting where it needs to go....probably due to corrosion / "crud" build up. If your "oiler" ball is loose (able to depress it to allow entry of the lube) , keep oiling...using a "light " oil (Reel X is what I use, but, stay away from "Liquid Wrench", as it will soften the plastic knob !) and try getting some lube into the "knob sleeve" from the other end (where it meets the "flat blade" of the handle assembly ). That *usually* works for me...but, if it still won't loosen up, and accept lube....you may need to give it a "short soak"in some white vinegar (50/50 with water , for an hour) and see if that takes some of the corrosion out.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Eddie Hernandez

yes the knob is tight and does not spin when i flick it. I will give the vinegar soak a try!! the oiler ball is seized i have made several attempts with Reel X.  thank you for the info!!!

ed

thorhammer

you might heat the metal to metal with heat gun or hairdrier to ease the oil into it; don't melt knob if you use a heat gun.

Donnyboat

Possibly a safer option to heat the metal near the nob, would be holding a soldering iron on the metal, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Eddie Hernandez

I think I have one I will deff give it a try thx

thorhammer

Rancanfish

Eddie, is your handle working? 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Eddie Hernandez

i have been so busy with work ive had zero time to work on my reels, i just soaked it in vinegar last night and i will take a look at it tonight.
thank your for asking!

Eddie Hernandez

The vinegar soak worked!!!!! no more squeeking and im able to depress the oiler ball !!!!! Thank you gents!!!!! I have completed all three 9m reels and it's on to the next!!! I must add the 9m reels deff the biggest pain to work on thus far for me!!! >:(.. Next up is my penn 320gt i am considering doing some upgrades any suggestions ?

Rancanfish

I asked because I had an identical handle standing by if it didn't work.

Better living thru chemistry...
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Eddie Hernandez

very much appreciated thank you!!!

Ruffy

Quote from: Eddie Hernandez on December 07, 2017, 05:55:22 PM
The vinegar soak worked!!!!! no more squeeking and im able to depress the oiler ball !!!!! Thank you gents!!!!! I have completed all three 9m reels and it's on to the next!!! I must add the 9m reels deff the biggest pain to work on thus far for me!!! >:(.. Next up is my penn 320gt i am considering doing some upgrades any suggestions ?

Read the words of the master on your 320, he will put you on the right track! http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9.0

Eddie Hernandez

Oh wow can't wait to get started on this 320gti
Super detailed tutorial thanks for the link!!!