DeWalt

Started by foakes, November 07, 2017, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Over the last couple of years -- I have been switching over to Ridgid on my battery power tools because of the Lifetime Warranty on their batteries -- plus they are a high quality product for my use around the property, jobsites, reel work, vehicles jobs, etc..

Still use DeWalt and Milwaukee on a regular basis, though...

However, I have around 5 or 6 Dewalt 18V tools that are still in excellent condition -- just that the batteries are shot.

Went to Home Depot over the weekend to get a couple of batteries -- $119 for two 18V!

Passed, went home and looked online at HD -- found a set of 1/2" drill/driver plus an impact, case, charger, and the (2) batteries I needed -- for $99, online only.  Ordered yesterday, and will be here with free UPS shipping tomorrow.

Limit is (2) on these -- do not know how much longer they will be available -- it is a very good value.

Would make good Christmas gifts.

Best,

Fred

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-18-Volt-NiCd-Cordless-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-with-2-Batteries-1-2Ah-Charger-and-Bag-DCK235C/100647068
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Wow, that is a good price.  I've been using Ridgid too.  I just wait until xmas every year, when 2 packs of batteries go on sale.

My other tool line is the Milwaukee 12 volt because they have a pvc pipe cutter, mini sawzall and 1/4" driver for sockets.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

My 30 year old dewalt is still going strong! my craftsman 1/2 impact wrench on the other hand is suffering.  I ordered new batteries from ebay, one of them reads faulty and wont take a charge, the other one got so hot when I charged it the first time  that I had to pour water over it and it sat in my driveway smoking.  the seller advertised them as craftsman batteries but they weren't.  According to the listings on the charger and the batteries they are supposed to be compatible. I emailed him about it and he hasn't responded.  threw both of them away. 
the company is called Urfeedbackisimportant2me he sells on ebay, buyer beware.

Dominick

I just plug my tools into the wall.  Works every time.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on November 07, 2017, 10:12:23 PM

As long as you use the correct batteries you likely will never have a problem doing it that way.
  I took a chance on cheap batteries, didnt pay off.

Tiddlerbasher

I'm currently using Ryobi 18v cordless drill/driver, impact driver, sds masonry drill, jigsaw, circular saw, angle grinder. Genuine batteries - no worries - going on a few years now :) My neighbour uses Milwaukee power tools (company supplied) and he is quite happy with them as well :)

I used to use Dewalt exclusively BUT battery costs and reliability suffered big time (don't think it's the quality product it used to be) :-\ Ask me again in a few years :-\

Alto Mare

That would be a great deal Fred, but considering the quality of those batteries it might not be worth it.
I'm stuck with a bunch of tools that take the same battery as the one your showing, I have replaced them a few times, they just don't last long.
I've been using these for over a year now, no issues  to report yet:  DEWALT 20-Volt 3.0-Amp Hours Lithium
These are holding a charge much longer.
I helped a friend build a 6x6 pressure treated retaining wall using my drill drive with these battery,  I was impressed on how easy the tool was driving the 8" screws.
I'm also using Ridgid, good tool, but don't like it as much compared to DeWalt.
I will say their Ridgid 12-Volt Lithium-Ion 3/8 in is the best tool I ever used, I use that tiny powerful drill every day, great for installing cabinets.
I have 3 so far and will probably get a couple more.

You have a point Dominick, as for power and durability, nothing beats my Craftsman 1/2 in professional corded drill from the 70's

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

I've had issues with the DeWalt 20V Max........the "kit" chargers.....and 3, of the 4 batteries...didn't last past 8-10 charges. I complained to the place I got them (Snap On  guy), and he "transferred" the issue to DeWalt....they sent me new chargers (a "revised"model), and new batteries. Since then...no issues.I can't complain about their customer service..as they handled things very quickly, but, I DO wonder if their "special priced" "kit" tools are the same quality as their "regular" stuff ?  That said, My Milwaukee , and Makita stuff has always done me well, too....actually, the Makita stuff is /was my favorite, but, batteries became almost impossible to find....and crazy expensive, when you DID find them.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

These batteries are Just fine for me --

I really enjoy my Milwaukee 12V drill, drivers, impact, and other tools that use that platform.  These batteries really last -- but the tools are not as piwerful as I need for major projects.  Driver is great for reel work though.

Really like the Ridgid tools though -- the HD cordless 1/2" drill, driver, hammer drill is well built and bulletproof.  Plus, the batteries hold a charge enough to drive close to (200) 2 1/2" self tapper deck screws into DF on one charge.  And, at least for me -- since I am frugal (OK, cheap) the lifetime warranty on the entire tool -- including batteries for life, overcomes any shortcomings (of which these Ridgid tools so far in 4 years have none, IMO).

Maybe I don't use my tools as hard or professionally as Sal -- but I do some pretty large projects on occasion.

My corded HD 1/2" chucked Ridgid hammer drill has so much slow torque -- it is spooky.  When all else fails, it comes out -- and never fails.

I have shops in multiple locations though -- and a tool without a battery is less than useless -- because you forget it is just hanging on the wall collecting dust when you need it to go to work.

So that is why I bought this set -- the last batteries lasted through 5 years of steady use -- and for $99 -- that is good enough for me for drills, recipocating saws, etc..

Just got to use what works for you -- plenty of good products out there -- and even more junk.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cwillis85

I am a milwaulkee guy myself, their 5ah batteries last me all day and have well used in the three years I have had them, still running strong.

I know the old dewalt 18v were bullet proof tools but batteries were the weak point. I found an adapter kit at Lowes that allows you to use the new and longer lasting 20v batteries in the 18v tools. I believe it was around that $100 price point, far cheaper than new tools.
Chris

CapeFish

I'm with you on that one, I have a cordless screwdriver and a drill and not planning on getting anything else cordless, batteries bomb out and cost a fortune to replace. My plug in drill has not skipped a beat nor cost me a cent in over 20 years of abuse and it is only a 650W  :D

Midway Tommy

I'm right there with you, Dominick. I've had a couple of cordless drills over the years, a Skill & a Bosch. It seems like no matter when the batteries were charged they'd need recharging either before I started the project or part way through it. Frustrating to say the least!  >:( Once the batteries crapped out I decided enough was enough. My 100' 12/3 cost $50, much less than a couple of batteries, and will more than likely last my lifetime. If 100' isn't long enough, at 12/3, you can just add another length. I never have loss of power and I can roll out a cord, if need be, and roll it back up quicker than I can screw around with batteries and a charger. That same philosophy goes for all my power tools, except maybe my chainsaw.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

exp2000

The old Nicad batteies were very poor when it comes to holding a charge and limited service life.

Nickel metal hydride batteries were an improvement but quality modern lithium batteries are a quantum leap in performance.

I have a couple of cordless Makitas with 3000ma Lithium rechargeables and there is never a problem. A single charge will last you a full day of medium duty use and retention is excellent. I expect to see ten years of service life from them.
~