Thumb bar engagement problem on Abu Royal

Started by festus, November 08, 2017, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I found the problem.  Looked at a photo of a brake plate assembly from my Abu 4600 AL I'd saved for reference, and noticed a spring was in a different place.  Moved the spring to the other spot and now the thumb bar disengagement works fine.  Had tried a little of everything, even swapping out pinion and main gears from another reel which didn't fix it.

Not sure if someone had serviced this reel in the past and mis-assembled it, but it works fine now, one of the best distance casting 4600 reels I own.

This site has helped me so much, I'm constantly reading old posts about Penns, DAM Quicks, Mitchells, Abus, Shimanos, Okumas, Daiwas, and other reels.  Before I joined this site in August or September, I didn't have the confidence to change bail springs in a Mitchell.  Now I've rebuilt a box full of reels, but still have lots to learn.

Ruffy

Glad to see you got it working! Those Abu's are indestructable, looks like it's time to go fishing!

Cheers,
Andrew

oc1

That other post with the groove looks like it is for a spring as well.  Wonder what goes there.
-steve

festus

Quote from: oc1 on December 05, 2017, 01:18:03 AM
That other post with the groove looks like it is for a spring as well.  Wonder what goes there.
-steve
Yes, it still has me wondering.  I put the dern spring back there for a few minutes as a test and came up with the same obnoxious symptoms.  ::)

My Abu 4600AL has a brake plate of the same design.  Next time I take it apart, I'm going to move the spring over to that groove and see what happens.  ???

festus

Quote from: oc1 on November 15, 2017, 08:46:36 AM
I can't help and do not want to side track the thread, but what-the-heck is with that pinion?  Is it supposed to be asymmetrical like that?  Does the pinion never turn inside the yoke?

-steve
Sorry, didn't see your question until now, Steve.

Yes, most of my Abus that were manufactured during the early to mid 1980s had these oddball pinions with the plastic half sleeve around the center.