Thumb bar engagement problem on Abu Royal

Started by festus, November 08, 2017, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

The thumbar on this Royal won't engage at the 1:00/2:00 position and go into free spool mode. It will work if I rotate the knob a little bit more, but I wouldn't want to try fishing or casting it with this problem.  Serial # is 820200 so it's probably about 35 years old.  I got it for 5 bucks, mostly for a parts reel.  Taken it apart and cleaned and re-lubed it, and didn't see anything missing or worn.  Has anyone ever encountered anything similar or have any idea what could be wrong? I have two more of these, one red and the other champagne colored that work fine.

Rancanfish

Sorry, no help on that particular reel, but, I have learned to look at similar posts referring to the same type of problem. Even if it's a different brand.

I am currently working thru a similar problem with a Shimano Calcutta.  If I figure it out I'll post what I found.  5 bucks or not, I'm a sucker for ads that say 'not working'.  It gives me a brain work out.

I'm looking at the pinion engagement / yoke....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Donnyboat

Hi Festus, would it be worth striping down, one of the others, side be side, with the reel your having trouble with, should tell a story, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rancanfish

Don, sometimes the obvious answer is best!  Good thinking.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

festus

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 09, 2017, 10:38:55 PM
Hi Festus, would it be worth striping down, one of the others, side be side, with the reel your having trouble with, should tell a story, good luck, cheers Don.
Yes, I had one of my other reels side by side but everything looked in place on the problem reel.  Also had the brake plate hooked up to the frame without the right side plate and testing the thumb bar and still couldn't figure it out.

alantani

on some models, there is a long pin that runs the width of the thumb bar.  it needs to extend out far enough to move the jack.  sometimes, in assembly the pin is push to the left and then will not engage the jack properly.  pulling it back out and to the right will fix that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

is the thumb bar up when you attach the right side plate?

It could also be the little nub that automatically engages the pinion gear by turning the arm that is blocking the engagement of frees pool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

The only interaction between the handle and the clutch mechanism that I can come up with is the contact point between the maingear and the pinion.

I would be looking for signs of deformity or corrosion on an isolated point on the maingear which might block the pinion travel at your 1:00/2:00 position.

Best I can come up with on the spot?
~

festus

I've been reluctant to disassemble the parts from the brake plate because it's different from the latter model brake plates with plastic yoke and brake release.  Got it torn apart now, only thing I see out of the ordinary is one spring is a little out of whack, but I don't think that's the problem.

alantani

i don't see that much of an issue either.  i'll bet when you put it back together, it will work just fine.....   :-\

festus

Quote from: alantani on November 12, 2017, 10:47:15 PM
i don't see that much of an issue either.  i'll bet when you put it back together, it will work just fine.....   :-\
I thought so too, Alan, but it still has the same problem. ???  Oh well, at least I learned how to service that type of brake plate. ::)

alantani

crud!!!!  i actually went back to re-read your post.  there is a pin for the kick lever in this reel.  when the handle is at the 1-2 o'clock position, the pin is in the way and the lever won't work, right?  otherwise it works fine.  

it's hitting a pin somewhere.   ;D

alantani

no, that's not right, either.  the thumb bar moves a kick lever and that kick lever must be hitting a burr or something somewhere.  it's hanging up at that one spot. 

festus

Still haven't resolved the problem. 

I own low profile Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum, and Mitchell baitcasters with thumb bars that have never given me any trouble.  Wonder why every time I have issues with a thumb bar it's always from a round Abu?  ??? ::)  :-\

oc1

Some old Shimano have thumb bar problems too but the problem is getting the reel out of gear.  It's usually in the thumb bar shaft or where the shaft wears the frame.

I can't help and do not want to side track the thread, but what-the-heck is with that pinion?  Is it supposed to be asymmetrical like that?  Does the pinion never turn inside the yoke?

-steve