Spool for a Jigmaster 500

Started by joel8080, November 08, 2017, 09:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

If you have a choice of a spool to use in an updated 500 would you use a Penn aluminum spool or a Newell aluminum spool?.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

David Hall

Either one would work excellent.  I have one with a Newell spool but haven't used it yet.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Joel, if you are looking for the ultimate in light weight and high performance for a stock 500 Jigmaster, you might want to think about a Newell graphite spool .  If you would like a Newell aluminum spool, I have 'em for $20 for a tested true, cosmetic 8, or a little bit more for a 9.

Thanks,

Randy

vilters

a newell aluminum spool is lighter and has greater line capacity than a penn aluminum spool. either works great, I prefer the newells. a newell graphite spool would work fine too, but those are scarce for a penn 500.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: vilters on November 09, 2017, 03:09:20 AM
a newell aluminum spool is lighter and has greater line capacity than a penn aluminum spool. either works great, I prefer the newells. a newell graphite spool would work fine too, but those are scarce for a penn 500.

I checked and you are correct about the relative weights and line capacities Steve:

500 SPOOL WEIGHT COMPARISON

Penn chrome spool:  5.3 oz.
Penn stainless spool:  4.3 oz.
Penn aluminum spool:  3.8 oz.
Newell aluminum spool:  3.0 oz.
Newell graphite spool:  2.5 oz.

Decker

Randy, I didn't know there was a graphite Newell to fit a Jigmaster.    Is there one to fit a 501?  A 99-sized??

eguinn

Yep, it's called a S338, g338  for the 500 size, for the 99 size there is a S332, G332, none for the 501/322 size, those are going to be aluminum only.

Decker

Quote from: eguinn on November 10, 2017, 09:30:01 PM
Yep, it's called a S338, g338  for the 500 size, for the 99 size there is a S332, G332, none for the 501/322 size, those are going to be aluminum only.

A 332 spool with fit a 99-width Jigmaster 500?     

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Decker on November 10, 2017, 10:14:02 PM
Quote from: eguinn on November 10, 2017, 09:30:01 PM

A 332 spool with fit a 99-width Jigmaster 500?     

No, Newell spools will not fit in Jigmasters without extensive modification because the shafts are different.

Yogi_fish808

I have all 3. In general I'd say go for the Newell Aluminum spool, cost is low, lighter than stock and holds more line. But I also have the graphite newell jigmaster spool and the damn thing cast like nothing else available for these reels, but they're rare and cost as much as a whole stock reel.

Decker

Trying to understand all this..  seems like the responses to Newell graphite spool on a Jigmaster summarize to "yes and no."  ::)

Maybe they fit on a 505/506? I'm confused. ???

Bottom line: If there is a a narrow or medium width (99) sized spool that fits any jigmaster (bearings or not) I'd like to find one.  8)

BTW, I have a bunch of aluminum Newell spools for Squidders and Jigmasters and love them.  I like the way the sloped shape of the walls of the spool help to lay the line.

Swami805

A spool from a newell reel won't fit on a jigmaster although the dimensions are the same the shaft is different. Newell did make graphite spools to fit a jigmaster just not that many so they're hard to find. I think the 505/506 is a different shaft as well and won't fit a newell or a jigmaster.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Quote from: Decker on November 11, 2017, 05:48:30 PM
Trying to understand all this..  seems like the responses to Newell graphite spool on a Jigmaster summarize to "yes and no."  ::)

Bottom line: If there is a a narrow or medium width (99) sized spool that fits any jigmaster (bearings or not) I'd like to find one.  8)

BTW, I have a bunch of aluminum Newell spools for Squidders and Jigmasters and love them.  I like the way the sloped shape of the walls of the spool help to lay the line.

I have a used newell 99 kit for the jigmaster. I'll let you know when I find it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Decker on November 11, 2017, 05:48:30 PM

Bottom line: If there is a a narrow or medium width (99) sized spool that fits any jigmaster (bearings or not) I'd like to find one.  8)

Hi Decker here are some images to clear up the confusion and some things I've found through playing with different spools for jigmaster 500's. The answer is YES there  was a Newell GRAPHITE spool made specifically to fit Jigmaster 500's, just like the common aluminum ones they slide right in. The spool itself probably came from the same period as the G-Series and is the same width as a 338 but the shafts are different. A graphite spool out of any series newell will not work in a jigmaster 500 (or 505HS) because the spool shafts are different lengths, despite the spools themselves being the same.

I heard the story that these rare graphite jigmaster spools technically aren't supposed to exist, something about an employee accidentally made them.

Another interesting note is that the exception to spools out of a newell reel not working in a jigmaster is if you have Tom's Cortez plates. The bearing cups back out enough for them to work properly. I've made a G344 spool work just fine in mine.

Last year Randy had a few for sale but those are long gone. I became aware of them because of him and was able to track down 2 that I fish with regularly
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18085.0

Aloha,
Kyle

Penn Aluminum spool Left, Newell Aluminum spool Middle, Newell JIGMASTER 500 Graphite spool Right

These are 2 graphite Newell spools the left is from an S338, the right is the Graphite Newell spool made for Jigmaster 500's. The shaft dimensions as you can see are different and the s338 spool will not fit into a jigmaster.

Here is a close up of the rare Newell Graphite Jigmaster spool. To me nothing casts better or with more ease of control.

These came with a metal clicker sprocket like on the early G-series reels since jigmasters only had metal clicker tongues

Alto Mare

Newells are copied from Penn, you could pretty much swap most. I have Newell aluminum spools on some 501 Jigmaster ,500 Jigmasters, Surfmasters 100 and 113H narrows. I have noticed it isn't so much on the tip of the shaft and the lip on the spool, the issue that I had on some was with the thickness of the spool shaft. I actually had to sand down one to make it work.
Most of these Newell spools when you pull them off one of the Penn reels, the bearings will usually get stuck on the shaft, a clear indication those run a bit larger than Penn.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.