Clash

Started by Scattergun2570, November 08, 2017, 09:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I am seriously considering buying a Clash,but on Alan Hawks review,there were line roller issues right out of the box. I also saw another review on YouTube where there was line roller trouble....So I am a bit concerned...The rest of the construction looks quite good..so anyone else here experiencing line roller issues? And if so,,is it something that can be easily remedied or is it going to be annoying?

Also,,I looked at the reel in a shop recently, a 3000 & 4000 size,,one felt quite smooth,and the other felt sluggish,,display case models..Why would there be a noticeable difference?

cwillis85

I have a 5000, my go to reel. It cast a mile and is quite smooth even after being dunked off my kayak. The only issue I have had was if you fill it full of line, to the outer most ring, I got wind knots every few cast. I now have it 2/3-3/4 full and have not had any further issues. Solid reel for me in the almost two years I have fished it.
Chris

FatTuna

The battles and conflicts have the same issue with wind knots when the spool is full. I'm not exactly sure why it happens but I think it has to do with the shape of the spool.

Tiddlerbasher

I have generally found that filling any spinner right to the edge of the spool will cause 'wind knots'. 1/8 to 3/16", 3-4mm from the curved edge of the spool usually solves the problem. I have always considered that when the spool is filled right up the line will literally fall off the spool faster than its being pulled.

johndtuttle

Clash is an outstanding reel. Penn has sold thousands and thousands without this line roller issue "Alan Hawk" imagines. Just ask Penn yourself with a post in their forum.

Extremely light for the line capacity and very tough machined gears. Love every one I have fished from 4k-6k.

People that fill reels to the brim don't know how to spool a spinning reel. That's why Shimano bends the lip back so you can't overfill and Penn puts marks on the spool to tell you when enough is enough.

foakes

Alan H. Performs a great service for those of us who like HD spinners.

He very thoughtfully disassembles each reel for his reviews -- fishes them hard -- dissassembles again -- looking for any issues -- meticulously reports his findings, good, bad, or even issues that won't generally matter in the real world.

He is independent, purchases his own equipment, has many contacts within the industry -- and I trust him.

He is like the Consumer Reports or Cnet of the angling world when it comes to spinners, manufacturer marketing claims, and performance on the water.

Having said that -- we should also make our own evaluations -- and Alan Hawk even tells us to do this.

He is a discerning and knowledgeable critic when it comes to spinners.

And his mission is to find the weak spots in HD salt spinners.

So it is like the old saying -- "when you are a hammer, every problem is a nail".

IMO, the Clash is an outstanding reel line -- no hesitations on my part for fishing or recommending one.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FatTuna

On the modern Penns that I own, you literally need to have the spool 3/4 full or less or you get wind knots after a few casts. I fish multiple days a week. I never fill my reels to the brim. Never seen that before from another another manufacturer

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 09, 2017, 03:54:56 PM
Clash is an outstanding reel. Penn has sold thousands and thousands without this line roller issue "Alan Hawk" imagines. Just ask Penn yourself with a post in their forum.

Extremely light for the line capacity and very tough machined gears. Love every one I have fished from 4k-6k.

People that fill reels to the brim don't know how to spool a spinning reel. That's why Shimano bends the lip back so you can't overfill and Penn puts marks on the spool to tell you when enough is enough.

He imagines? There's pictures of the gap and the wear,,,why do you say that?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 09, 2017, 06:41:23 PM

He imagines? There’s pictures of the gap and the wear,,,why do you say that?

Because thousands and thousands of them have been sold without a single issue.

Anyone can identify small issues with one budget reel in their hand. That often has little to do with thousands and thousands sold in something like 9 different sizes.

I spoke at length with Penn about this. They simply never see any trouble with the design and also thousands of guys are stoked on the reel. I think they added a plastic lock washer to protect the finish when its over-tightened like AH did and are done.

Who's right?

The guys selling thousands and thousands of reels and seeing no returns or complaints or a blogger with a sample of one?

oc1

"a blogger with a sample of one?"

I agree John.  People who tear down a brand new reel, take lots of pictures and then tell us what they think about it are wasting our time.  ;)

The only meaningful test is the test of time.  Use it hard until it breaks, fix it, and use it hard until it breaks again.  When you get to about two hundred thousand miles (in car years) you'll know if it is any good.

-steve

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 09, 2017, 07:58:28 PM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 09, 2017, 06:41:23 PM

Ok that's a good answer,I'll order one.
He imagines? There's pictures of the gap and the wear,,,why do you say that?

Because thousands and thousands of them have been sold without a single issue.

Anyone can identify small issues with one budget reel in their hand. That usually has little to do with thousands and thousands sold in something like 9 different sizes.

I spoke at length with Penn about this. They simply never see any trouble with the design and yet thousands of guys are stoked on the reel. I think they added a plastic lock washer to protect the finish when its over-tightened like AH did and are done.

Who's right?

The guys selling thousands and thousands of reels and seeing no returns or complaints or a blogger with a sample of one?

johndtuttle

Quote from: oc1 on November 09, 2017, 09:43:48 PM

I agree John.  People who tear down a brand new reel, take lots of pictures and then tell us what they think about it are wasting our time.  ;)

The only meaningful test is the test of time.  Use it hard until it breaks, fix it, and use it hard until it breaks again.  When you get to about two hundred thousand miles (in car years) you'll know if it is any good.

-steve

Yes, and that is precisely correct.

When I tear down a reel I **always** offer the caveat for good or ill that anything I see has to be tested by **thousands** of guys before anything is truly known. That is what all the manufacturers have to do themselves when they introduce a new reel. All early adopters are "beta testers".

My beef with "AH": is when he gets one Fin Nor Lethal 100 he proclaims it the greatest ever for $100...then we see the handles breaking, bails coming apart and stems snapping with modest fish on....but not one word of correction from the guy. It should have been black-listed until the faults were corrected.

He over tightens a nut and mars his finish and its all Penn's fault he has a squeaky line roller = Clash is junk to him???

A squeaky line roller (deal breaker to AH) versus snapped stems and busted handles (best budget reel evar).....hrm?

In AH's defense he gives us what I think is his honest opinion (right or wrong) of the reel in his hand....but the trouble is when that is extrapolated to THOUSANDS produced in many different sizes and they are fished far harder than any tests of his...and it is not remotely the same thing.

I also lean on Handi2 and guys like that because they service everyone's reels (ie Penn, Daiwa, Shimano et al)...there is a big disconnect between the reality of regular use and any sort of autopsy of a barely fished reel. Keith always was a big fan of the old Saltist (best budget high speed spinner) because they simply worked in capable hands (literally the go to world wide for budget popping). AH refused to even review it....

AH also got the capacities for the weight completely wrong on the Clash as detailed in this post:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/661741-spool-capacities-of-clash-4k-5k-6k-and-8k-surprising-results/

AH called the Clash a "heavy reel" when in fact it is substantially lighter for its capacity than any other saltwater spinner (ie baring magnesium framed tiny freshwater reels). On the spot he invents a standard of comparing different reels by drag spec as a basis of weight comparison rather than capacity...which is nonsense and never done as it simply makes no sense. You don't compare the weights of a small reel to a large one because they make the same drag. You compare weights based on line capacity. It would be like comparing an 18K Spheros to a 5K Stella and complaining the Spheros is heavier because they make the same drag? Who would do this? Apples to apples you compare reel weights based on capacity (ie physical size). Drag is a separate criteria.

Its either a glaring error or an intentional misrepresentation. Again, no retraction...

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 09, 2017, 10:51:44 PM
Quote from: oc1 on November 09, 2017, 09:43:48 PM

-steve

I think I will order one based on what John says.

Yes, and that is precisely correct.

When I tear down a reel I **always** offer the caveat for good or ill that anything I see has to be tested by **thousands** of guys before anything is truly known. That is what all the manufacturers have to do themselves when they introduce a new reel. All early adopters are "beta testers".

My beef with "AH": is when he gets one Fin Nor Lethal 100 he proclaims it the greatest ever for $100...then we see the handles breaking, bails coming apart and stems snapping with modest fish on....but not one word of correction from the guy. It should have been black-listed until the faults were corrected.

He over tightens a nut and mars his finish and its all Penn's fault he has a squeaky line roller = Clash is junk to him???

A squeaky line roller (deal breaker to AH) versus snapped stems and busted handles (best budget reel evar).....hrm?

In AH's defense he gives us what I think is his honest opinion (right or wrong) of the reel in his hand....but the trouble is when that is extrapolated to THOUSANDS produced and fished far harder than any tests of his...and it is not remotely the same thing.

I also lean on Handi2 and guys like that because they service everyone's reels (ie Penn, Daiwa, Shimano et al)...there is a big disconnect between the reality of regular use and any sort of autopsy of a barely fished reel. Keith always was a big fan of the old Saltist (best budget high speed spinner) because they simply worked in capable hands (literally the go to world wide for budget popping). AH refused to even review it....

AH also got the capacities for the weight completely wrong on the Clash as detailed in this post:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/661741-spool-capacities-of-clash-4k-5k-6k-and-8k-surprising-results/

Scattergun2570

I am going to buy one based on your opinions..

STRIPER LOU

Its an excellent reel! You wont be disappointed.

...............Lou