Clash

Started by Scattergun2570, November 08, 2017, 09:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 10, 2017, 02:26:56 AM
I am going to buy one based on your opinions..

What I would add at last is that as well, AH reviewed the 8k size (very large reel) that is really outside the "wheelhouse" for the fundamental design at least for deep jigging.

The Clash is an ultralight saltwater spinner with beef in all the right places for light tackle tossing of artificials and casting all day but a lower geared reel like the Spheros is better for jigging. Once you get to the 8k size (~500 yards of 65# braid) beefier framed reels (ie Slammer III or Saragosa) are really in order for that class of fish. The Clash 8k is more of a bait and weight reel to be spooled with mono or one for casting lighter lures to smaller models....not moving deep jigs against current for fish that need 500 yards of braid...imo.

And the smaller sizes 4k-5k-6k are perfect for casting small lures all day long and a far tougher reel than a Stradic FK with more capacity for the weight than even that excellent reel. In these small to medium size reels it gives anything a run for the money.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 11, 2017, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 10, 2017, 02:26:56 AM
I am going to buy one based on your opinions..

What I would add at last is that as well, AH reviewed the 8k size (very large reel) that is really outside the "wheelhouse" for the fundamental design at least for deep jigging.

The Clash is an ultralight saltwater spinner with beef in all the right places for light tackle tossing of artificials and casting all day. Once you get to the 8k size (~500 yards of 65# braid) beefier reels (ie Slammer III or Saragosa) are really in order for that class of fish. The Clash 8k is more of a bait and weight reel to be spooled with mono or one for casting lighter lures to smaller models....not moving deep jigs against current for fish that need 500 yards of braid...imo.

And the smaller sizes 4k-5k-6k are perfect for casting small lures all day long and a far tougher reel than a Stradic FK with more capacity for the weight than even that excellent reel. In these small to medium size reels it gives anything a run for the money.

Well I have a 9ft Ron Arra for the back bays...I currently have my Daiwa Advantage 4000 on it..but I figured I'd get a Clash for it.. I know Daiwas spools were always larger that Penn and Shimano..so I don't know if a 4000 size Clash is a good replacement or not,,,any thoughts?

johndtuttle

Clash 4000 holds ~300 yards of 20# power pro (37# breaking strength). Probably perfect for a back bay rod (I assume its a light build).

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 12, 2017, 01:05:12 AM
Clash 4000 holds ~300 yards of 20# power pro (37# breaking strength). Probably perfect for a back bay rod (I assume its a light build).

Well yes the Arras are lighter walled ,,although it is a factory build one piece if that matters.

johndtuttle

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 12, 2017, 01:44:19 AM

Yes I've seen all Skinners vids..but I know he has that 4000 on a 7 or 7 1/2 footer not a 9,,am I wrong?

johndtuttle

Yea, its on a shorter rod than yours so you might consider a 5k...but it has way more capacity than you need (4k holds 300 yards of braid that breaks at 37#...that will land anything in any bay in North America)...Buy from a good retailer and return and exchange if you don't like the balance.

Pretty hard to make a rec when its gonna come down to personal preference.

exp2000

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 09, 2017, 10:51:44 PM
Keith always was a big fan of the old Saltist (best budget high speed spinner) because they simply worked in capable hands (literally the go to world wide for budget popping). AH refused to even review it....

I am afraid that you have struck a nerve here John.

My opinion of this reel echoes that of Alan Hawke  with emphasis to the extent that I quoted him in my review:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/permalink/937384059676007/

If the old Saltist was so good Daiwa would not have abandoned the original design and substituted a dressed-up current generation BG reel and called it a Saltist.

QuoteNew Release Daiwa Saltist Spin 2016 Preview:

This was unexpected given the release of the Nero clone earlier last year but yep, Daiwa have done it again; resurrecting the reel I just love to hate. But wait, there's more!

They finally abandoned the horrendous Handle / maingear combination that produced so many shattered gears and was a technician's worst nightmare to disassemble. Rumor has it that it has been replaced by a more robust standard design. As I said before, anything would be an improvement! It is still manufactured from zinc alloy but apparently heavier construction and hopefully stronger. Unfortunately Daiwa has also dropped the high speed gear ratio which for many anglers was the main attraction for this reel.

The pot luck flimsy Delrin bushes in the bail roller have now been replaced by a regular bearing with mag-seal shields and the pinion bearing also is shielded by a mag seal. There is still plenty of healthy online debate about the practicality and reliability of this technology and as my exposure is rather limited, I really cannot offer an informed opinion based on personal experience at this point in time.

But just when it seemed Daiwa was doing so well we still find that same weak composite "air bail" wire adorning this new revision. Given it's fragile construction and daunting expense, I really think that Daiwa should supply an ex-gratis spare in the box of every new purchase.

But despite this one lingering fault, I welcome this new revision with open arms because it will mean an end to my worst nightmare of trying to extract a hammered flared maingear shaft through an inner bearing race whilst still assembled in the gearbox.

How Daiwa techs dealt with this I will never know! Perhaps they just drilled it out and replaced the maingear.

Hey! There you go :)

~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on November 12, 2017, 06:15:18 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on November 09, 2017, 10:51:44 PM
Keith always was a big fan of the old Saltist (best budget high speed spinner) because they simply worked in capable hands (literally the go to world wide for budget popping). AH refused to even review it....

My opinion of this reel echoes that of Alan Hawke  with emphasis to the extent that I quoted him in my review:

If the old Saltist was so good Daiwa would not have abandoned the original design and substituted a dressed-up current generation BG reel and called it a Saltist.

I'm confused,what does that have to do with the Clash?

QuoteNew Release Daiwa Saltist Spin 2016 Preview:

This was unexpected given the release of the Nero clone earlier last year but yep, Daiwa have done it again; resurrecting the reel I just love to hate. But wait, there's more!

They finally abandoned the horrendous Handle / maingear combination that produced so many shattered gears and was a technician's worst nightmare to disassemble. Rumor has it that it has been replaced by a more robust standard design. As I said before, anything would be an improvement! It is still manufactured from zinc alloy but apparently heavier construction and hopefully stronger. Unfortunately Daiwa has also dropped the high speed gear ratio which for many anglers was the main attraction for this reel.

The pot luck flimsy Delrin bushes in the bail roller have now been replaced by a regular bearing with mag-seal shields and the pinion bearing also is shielded by a mag seal. There is still plenty of healthy online debate about the practicality and reliability of this technology and as my exposure is rather limited, I really cannot offer an informed opinion based on personal experience at this point in time.

But just when it seemed Daiwa was doing so well we still find that same weak composite "air bail" wire adorning this new revision. Given it's fragile construction and daunting expense, I really think that Daiwa should supply an ex-gratis spare in the box of every new purchase.

But despite this one lingering fault, I welcome this new revision with open arms because it will mean an end to my worst nightmare of trying to extract a hammered flared maingear shaft through an inner bearing race whilst still assembled in the gearbox.

How Daiwa techs dealt with this I will never know! Perhaps they just drilled it out and replaced the maingear.

Hey! There you go :)

~

johndtuttle

Quote from: exp2000 on November 12, 2017, 06:15:18 AM

My opinion of this reel echoes that of Alan Hawke  with emphasis to the extent that I quoted him in my review:

You mistake me. :)

The point is not that the old Saltist was so good.

The point is that it was the only game in town for a budget high speed reel that caught lots of big fish and it (with proper maintenance and care during use) was entirely up to its task.

Conversely, some on here think the new Daiwa BG is junk, with the rotor hitting the spool in some models and the supposedly great bearings rusting right away due to inadequate (ie none) sealing etc. despite AH calling it the greatest.

This is a case of:

1. Any real flaws in a reel take many users, using many sizes of the reels, and conditions to be revealed (Daiwa BG jury still out).

2. When people know a reel's limitations and know how to use it despite them (ie Saltist) they may have a unique need (for speed and capacity) that makes the reel the cat's meow for their purpose.

The (old) Saltist was the go to reel for hundreds of guys for Rooster fishing in Mexico because they could find nothing better for the purpose for the money.

In the specific case of the Clash, AH reviewed one of the least popular sizes whereas the reel **excels** for ultralight uses in the smaller sizes. Nothing better for the money, imo, and as above John Skinner caught 200 False Albacore in a single month with one etc.

Who's right? The guys catching thousands of fish or when one persons tries to dissemble the reel with personal preferences not met?

best

natch!

Excuse me for going somewhat off-topic, but, are the Abu Revo 2 SW's essentially the same as the Clash?

Jack

johndtuttle

Quote from: natch! on November 12, 2017, 06:47:06 PM
Excuse me for going somewhat off-topic, but, are the Abu Revo 2 SW's essentially the same as the Clash?

Jack

Yes and no. They use a similar (dimensions likely differ) machined aluminum gear for the guts.

However, the frame and side-plate arrangement is very different plus other details (ie spool design etc).

Very good light reels for near shore applications.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 12, 2017, 07:04:27 PM

Jack

Yes and no. They use a similar (dimensions likely differ) machined aluminum gear for the guts.

However, the frame and side-plate arrangement is very different plus other details (ie spool design etc).

John can I ask you to compare the Slammer to the Saragosa for surf casting work?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 16, 2017, 03:40:43 AM

Jack

John can I ask you to compare the Slammer to the Saragosa for surf casting work?

Slammer III v. Spheros (no need to get a Saragosa for the Surf) a Slammer is a beefier and tougher reel, imo. Far more capable with more drag and tougher gears....but that doesn't necessarily make it a better surf reel, unless fishing for Roosters or other Jacks that pull like hell. Slammer III is a reel to fight real bruisers with.

Spheros however is very, very good for the coin, very smooth and refined and I can't hesitate to recommend it. But it just doesn't have the nuts of the Slammer III on big fish. But that really isn't a big deal until south of the border or maybe Florida etc for Tarpon. Nothing in northern waters can really hurt a Spheros until well offshore.

FWIW Clash is a different kettle of fish altogether. Much lighter build than either and not as sealed. Better for casting all day if it meets your sealing needs. Clash top of the pinion assembly is sealed (most problematic area for splashes) but the body has no sealing.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 16, 2017, 03:53:10 AM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 16, 2017, 03:40:43 AM

Jack

Slammer III v. Spheros (no need to get a Saragosa for the Surf) a Slammer is a beefier and tougher reel, imo. Far more capable with more drag and tougher gears....but that doesn't necessarily make it a better surf reel, unless fishing for Roosters or other Jacks that pull like hell. Slammer III is a reel to fight real bruisers with.

Spheros however is very, very good for the coin, very smooth and refined and I can't hesitate to recommend it. But it just doesn't have the nuts of the Slammer III on big fish. But that really isn't a big deal until south of the border or maybe Florida etc for Tarpon. Nothing in northern waters can really hurt a Spheros until well offshore.

FWIW Clash is a different kettle of fish altogether. Much lighter build than either and not as sealed. Better for casting all day if it meets your sealing needs. Clash top of the pinion assembly is sealed (most problematic area for splashes) but the body has no sealing.

The Spheros is just too heavy...I throw lures exclusively,which is why I was asking about the Saragosa..no way am I buying a Spheros. I deal with Stripers and Blues here in the Northeast..I'd like the reel to be lighter of course,but if the Saragosa can't handle the waves and white waters of the Atlantic then I have to choose the Slammer. The Clash I will get in the spring for Fluke and Spring Stripers.