Clash

Started by Scattergun2570, November 08, 2017, 09:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Spheros and Saragosa are basically the same weight with less than an ounce difference in the 10k size.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: MarkT on November 16, 2017, 04:16:37 AM
Spheros and Saragosa are basically the same weight with less than an ounce difference in the 10k size.

Sorry, I mixed up reels I guess..

Scattergun2570

Quote from: MarkT on November 16, 2017, 04:16:37 AM

I don't like bringing up AH here,but he claims the Spheros he reviewed was 5oz heavier than advertised. So If this is true, I wonder about the smaller ones.

MarkT

I thinks the weights are correct on the Shimano US site.  Which one are you looking at?  I have the Saragosa 10k but  I don't use it from the beach.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: MarkT on November 16, 2017, 03:12:51 PM
I thinks the weights are correct on the Shimano US site.  Which one are you looking at?  I have the Saragosa 10k but  I don't use it from the beach.

Probably a 6000 for a 10ft Surf stick

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 16, 2017, 03:53:10 AM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 16, 2017, 03:40:43 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on November 12, 2017, 07:04:27 PM
Quote from: natch! on November 12, 2017, 06:47:06 PM
Excuse me for going somewhat off-topic, but, are the Abu Revo 2 SW's essentially the same as the Clash?

Jack

Yes and no. They use a similar (dimensions likely differ) machined aluminum gear for the guts.

However, the frame and side-plate arrangement is very different plus other details (ie spool design etc).

Very good light reels for near shore applications.

John can I ask you to compare the Slammer to the Saragosa for surf casting work?

Slammer III v. Spheros (no need to get a Saragosa for the Surf) a Slammer is a beefier and tougher reel, imo. Far more capable with more drag and tougher gears....but that doesn't necessarily make it a better surf reel, unless fishing for Roosters or other Jacks that pull like hell. Slammer III is a reel to fight real bruisers with.

Spheros however is very, very good for the coin, very smooth and refined and I can't hesitate to recommend it. But it just doesn't have the nuts of the Slammer III on big fish. But that really isn't a big deal until south of the border or maybe Florida etc for Tarpon. Nothing in northern waters can really hurt a Spheros until well offshore.

FWIW Clash is a different kettle of fish altogether. Much lighter build than either and not as sealed. Better for casting all day if it meets your sealing needs. Clash top of the pinion assembly is sealed (most problematic area for splashes) but the body has no sealing.

I hate to bring up AH again ,,but he points out that Penn Put a bearing for the spool to ride on,,but being it sits on the spool shim it's rendered inoperable...is this true?

Chuck750ss

Scattergun, I would like to hear about that too. And anything else from clash owners. The good, the bad and the ugly!
Really would appreciate you clash owners speaking up. Am reel shopping and the best information sources are those that have been there, done that.

handi2

Ive had one 3000 sized Clash reel. I could never get it quiet. I sold it. I haven't worked on many either. In my are this means not many people use them. I live where spinning reels are used more than any other reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 17, 2017, 09:06:02 AM

I hate to bring up AH again ,,but he points out that Penn Put a bearing for the spool to ride on,,but being it sits on the spool shim it’s rendered inoperable...is this true?

I'm sorry but I saw this and had to laugh lol.

Penn uses this concept in at least 5 different models sold in like 8 different sizes each, but AH gets one early production 8000 size reel with the under-spool shim like a thousandth of an inch out of spec and people assume and extrapolate it to be true in something like 100,000 reels sold that all use different size shims...? AND it had no effect on function in his case nor could he tell whether it in fact functioned anything other than normally in actual use....I just don't understand why people think this would apply to every Clash reel?

The under or inner spool bearings used in dozens of different reels made by any number of makers reduces binding under heavy load...BUT, some question its utility, particularly in lighter reels for smaller models that never see real loads like a true big game spinner. Others say that it increases smooth performance of the drag throughout the range...but its something very difficult for any user to actually test...all modern reels have extremely smooth drags (and generally it is salt intrusion that causes a modern drag to be sticky).

Scattergun, AH is the guy that compared the weights of an 8000 size clash (500 yards of 65# braid) to a Spheros 10k (300 yards of 65# braid or nearly 50% smaller reel capacity) to say the Clash was a "heavy reel" because their drag ~27lbs is close to the same (and more than most even know how to use).

This is like saying you can only compare the weight of a Spheros 10k (25oz) to a Stella 5k (15oz) because their drags have the same rating? Boy that Spheros is sure heavy?????

WTFover? one is a tiny nearshore size/trout reel, the other is a large capacity offshore spinning reel that you would never purposely buy for the same fish but you should compare their weights? No, reels are compared side by side capacity to their weight.

If anyone doesn't think this is purposely done to satisfy some agenda of his then either 1. AH is not as smart as he thinks he is...or 2. I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...and 3. AH is very good at pulling the wool over your eyes.

AH can be awesome or have amazing blind spots. He also says that he doesn't think that bearings in/around spools of any kind work or smooth out drags because "the job of the drag is to create friction" with apparently no consideration for smoothness under load...clearly a blogger knows more than the Engineers at Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Okuma, Penn, Shimano or Zebco (Van Stall/Fin Nor) that all use bearings in their spool designs with combined sales of like $10 Billion yearly worldwide....Thank god for AH?

johndtuttle

Quote from: handi2 on November 18, 2017, 04:38:03 PM
Ive had one 3000 sized Clash reel. I could never get it quiet. I sold it. I haven't worked on many either. In my are this means not many people use them. I live where spinning reels are used more than any other reel.

I have seen some with quite a bit of "knock" is that what you mean, Keith?

Chuck750ss

Quote from: handi2 on November 18, 2017, 04:38:03 PM
Thanks. Not many used ones on eBay, which tells me either people really like them, or there are not many out there.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 18, 2017, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 17, 2017, 09:06:02 AM

I hate to bring up AH again ,,but he points out that Penn Put a bearing for the spool to ride on,,but being it sits on the spool shim it's rendered inoperable...is this true?

I'm sorry but I saw this and had to laugh lol.

Penn uses this concept in at least 5 different models sold in like 8 different sizes each, but AH gets one early production 8000 size reel with the under-spool shim like a thousandth of an inch out of spec and people assume and extrapolate it to be true in something like 100,000 reels sold that all use different size shims...? AND it had no effect on function in his case nor could he tell whether it in fact functioned anything other than normally in actual use....I just don't understand why people think this would apply to every Clash reel?

The under or inner spool bearings used in dozens of different reels made by any number of makers reduces binding under heavy load...BUT, some question its utility, particularly in lighter reels for smaller models that never see real loads like a true big game spinner. Others say that it increases smooth performance of the drag throughout the range...but its something very difficult for any user to actually test...all modern reels have extremely smooth drags (and generally it is salt intrusion that causes a modern drag to be sticky).

Scattergun, AH is the guy that compared the weights of an 8000 size clash (500 yards of 65# braid) to a Spheros 10k (300 yards of 65# braid or nearly 50% smaller reel capacity) to say the Clash was a "heavy reel" because their drag ~27lbs is close to the same (and more than most even know how to use).

This is like saying you can only compare the weight of a Spheros 10k (25oz) to a Stella 5k (15oz) because their drags have the same rating? Boy that Spheros is sure heavy?????

WTFover? one is a tiny nearshore size/trout reel, the other is a large capacity offshore spinning reel that you would never purposely buy for the same fish but you should compare their weights? No, reels are compared side by side capacity to their weight.

If anyone doesn't think this is purposely done to satisfy some agenda of his then either 1. AH is not as smart as he thinks he is...or 2. I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...and 3. AH is very good at pulling the wool over your eyes.

AH can be awesome or have amazing blind spots. He also says that he doesn't think that bearings in/around spools of any kind work or smooth out drags because "the job of the drag is to create friction" with apparently no consideration for smoothness under load...clearly a blogger knows more than the Engineers at Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Okuma, Penn, Shimano or Zebco (Van Stall/Fin Nor) that all use bearings in their spool designs with combined sales of like $10 Billion yearly worldwide....Thank god for AH?

You laughing at me or Alan?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 19, 2017, 03:58:44 AM

I am not laughing at anyone. :)

I am laughing at the idea that one reel in a reviewers hand with a simple nylon washer 1/1000th of an inch out of spec (that has zero affect on function as the bearing would turn fine when needed) would be extrapolated to an entire line of reels with 7 different sizes.

No one should reasonably think that should be true.

Fundamentally, it is what someone interested in a factual and objective presentation would clearly state in a review: "This is what I found on the reel in my hand. Without examining dozens of reels all I can say is I got a reel with a 1 cent washer (that doesn't affect function) out of spec that I fixed with 10 seconds of sanding just because. YMMV."

Notice that AH never made any effort to demonstrate that the spool/drag functioned abnormally (because it wouldn't). And the same guy thinks bearings shouldn't be there anyways, with the spool turning on a simple spindle. So he makes an argument that it is some kind of a problem, but in fact it functions more like he thinks it should anyways.

I also think that is funny. :D

And the issue has never been heard from since, until now.  ;)

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 19, 2017, 04:55:32 AM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 19, 2017, 03:58:44 AM

I am not laughing at anyone. :)

I am laughing at the idea that one reel in a reviewers hand with a simple nylon washer 1/1000th of an inch out of spec (that has zero affect on function as the bearing would turn fine when needed) would be extrapolated to an entire line of reels with 7 different sizes.

No one should reasonably think that should be true.

Fundamentally, it is what someone interested in a factual and objective presentation would clearly state in a review: "This is what I found on the reel in my hand. Without examining dozens of reels all I can say is I got a reel with a 1 cent washer (that doesn't affect function) out of spec that I fixed with 10 seconds of sanding just because. YMMV."

Notice that AH never made any effort to demonstrate that the spool/drag functioned abnormally (because it wouldn't). And the same guy thinks bearings shouldn't be there anyways, with the spool turning on a simple spindle. So he makes an argument that it is some kind of a problem, but in fact it functions more like he thinks it should anyways.

I also think that is funny. :D

And the issue has never been heard from since, until now.  ;)

I did find it hard to believe that Penn could make a huge design flaw...but I am new to this,so that`s why I ask..I`m just asking questions,not implying that AH is right,and people here are wrong,I hope everyone here understands that.

johndtuttle

Yea, you just have to understand for all of AH's knowledge he can go off the deep end on stuff that simply doesn't matter sometimes or is contradictory to opinions he has previously posted.

After awhile nearly everyone knows to take the solid information from any review for what its worth to themselves and leave the nit-picking.

But I am a very "glass half full" sort of guy in that regard.

And you have to realize its no "huge design flaw" lol (I laugh because AH presents it like "OMG" when its nothing, so not surprised a newbie thinks that it was some kind of big deal).

Best