Sheephead Slayer

Started by sharkman, November 28, 2017, 12:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

My little 109 at work on sheepshead. It has new drags, 155 handle, and new Cajun red line. Biggest fish was 18 inches but most averaged around 16 inches.

thorhammer

That's some great eatin right there. Nice work.

Crow

I hope to be catching some just like that in about a week !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

Great little reel, nice catch. Beautiful filets!

gstours

Hey nice rod and reel.   glad you got out recently.  Tell us how do you rig your hooks, and baits?   Looks like great eating fish. Thanks.

Shark Hunter

Nice!
Good work my Man.
I have yet to catch one of those fine eating fish.
When I first started saltwater fishing.
I recall guys telling me to use a Sheep's head for bait.
I said there is no way I'm using a real Sheep's head. ;D
Life is Good!

oc1

That's a perfect use for a 109.  They can't cast but have great sensitivity and finesse for dropping a fiddler.
-steve

ReelFishingProblems

Mind if tag along next time?
I'll bring the beer

Nick

sharkman

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Gstours I used 15 mono (sometimes braid) main line to a small swivel then 18-24 inches of leader to a very small j hook (I think #4). Then the lightest split shot I can get away with. The best bait is fiddler crabs.

Shark Hunter that too funny. This fish drove me crazy for years before I got the hang of catching them.

Nick you are more than welcome to come next time. We fish here on base.

Army_of_One

That's impressive.  I have heard that sand fleas will work well too, but I've never targeted sheephead.  I've been too busy trying for snapper and red fish. 
Another day in Paradise!

droppedit

many years back we used to take a hoe and scrape the barnacles off the pylons to chum the sheepshead. lol, that's about all we did is chum. Brings back lots of good memories.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

ReelFishingProblems

Let me know when you go, i'm in for sure

conchydong

Sheepies are good eats. I remember a job I did about 20 years ago when a friend of a friend wanted the bottom scraped on a 40' boat that was stagnant in a canal for 6 months. They had company coming into town and didn't have time to pull the boat out of water to do it right so I did it underwater. It was completely full of barnacles and oysters. It took me two full tanks and 3 + hours to do the job. While I was scraping, some monster Sheepshead came to the party. I lived 5 minutes away so in between tanks I went home and grabbed a pole spear.
Needless to say. I had some great eats for the remainder of the week.

Three se7ens

Ive been told the secret to catching sheepshead is to set the hook before they bite  ;D

Alto Mare

Nice fish, nice reel. Good job Sharkman, thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.