"Taping" a spool ?

Started by Crow, November 09, 2017, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I've used braid (the so called , new, "super braid") on my baitcasting reels (narrow spool, level wind), and on spinners, and never had a problem with it "slipping" on the spool....and since I'm pretty much wading in unknown water when it comes to the large capacity "conventional" reels, I thought I'd better check. I see some use an "under lay" of mono, and some talk about "taping the spool", and some say, "if it's put on correctly, it won't slip". Explain "taping" to me....what type of tape? One layer on the arbor ? Or is it "built up"? If you use an underlay of mono....How much ?  I've got some Spectra...if "brand" makes a difference.  Thanks !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

STRIPER LOU

Crow, I always use and under wrap of mono. Braid can get expensive so see what your comfortable with replacing every time and use enough mono backing or under wrap to give youself the correct fill.

Here with fishing heavy structure, I can seldom get a season out of my jigging reels filled with braid.

...............Lou

philaroman

on lighter reels, I tape the spools w/ self-adhering silicone (like, Tommy Tape)  so there's no sticky adhesive to leach & travel...  it's pretty bulky too -- >10' reduction in capacity w/ small arbors & thin braid... which suits me fine

Tiddlerbasher

Currently using nothing under the braid. 3 wrap arbor knot with a long tag - it don't slip ;)
If you are paranoid :-\ Use a couple of turns of 'flex tape' or similar, but it really ain't necessary.

SoCalAngler

For taping spools before winding on braid I use Flexx Rap. It comes by other names and made by a few manufactures. I have bought some made for big box stores under their own brand name but I have found that these lose adhesion to it's self pretty fast. You can find this type of tape in most stores that have a pharmacy. When I purchase in these stores I go with a name brand like Johnson & Johnson and such. Sure you pay a little more but in 6 months, a year or two the tape still sticks to it's self unlike the no name brands.

This type of tape does not absorb water unlike electrical, masking and other types and I have been using it for like 12 years now.  

handi2

With spinning reels you dont need tape. With the spool in hand you can do a common arbor knot. Then put the line on with 2 half hitches. It cant slip. Now put the spool on the reel with the bail open, close the bail and finish filling.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

I used to tie the line through the hole and then wind it on with a strip of masking tape or duct for the first three or four turns.  There will be duct tape residue when it is removed but no one is going to see it.  Now, I don't bother with the tape and I just tie through the hole and then do like Keith says and throw half-hitches around the arbor.  The half-hitches are basically a double or triple clove hitch.  When you get to four or more it can't slip.  On a spinner with no hole I might throw six or eight half-hitches.  Small bait casters are hard to tie because there is no room to get your fingers in there.  On the newer braid ready spools it is really difficult to thread line through the hole too.  Again as Keith says, run the line through the levelwind guide if there is one and then out the side with the side plate and spool removed, tie to the spool, and assemble.
-steve

josa1

All my reels have spectra, none have tape.  Spectra is removed and cleaned after each trip, rewound on the spool under medium pressure, no hint of slipping ever.

I believe that it's O.K. to use tape if you want, or if you feel you can't get the line on tight enough to avoid slipping, but if you do, I recommend taking the tape off regularly and cleaning the spool underneath.  Just refurbished an AVET 50W not long ago and resold it.  The only real problem I found with it, other than some previous incorrect assembly, was 2 corrosion spots under the tape someone had put on the reel spool arbor.

Don't know if this would be necessary for fresh water fishing.

josa1

exp2000

The first thing you should consider is protecting the spool from corrosion by applying a wax polish or similar.

Unlike mono, braid wicks water and can concentrate salt over time causing corrosion.

The best idea I have seen for taping is fiberglass reinforced tape.

It is very tough, adhesive and the line bites well into it molding it to the spool.
~

alantani

i use a double layer of flex wrap.  i also run the line 4-5 times around the arbor, then tie a 6 turn uni knot. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JRD

Flex wrap here also.  Buy it at a.feed.store it's much cheaper and comes in a wide roll you can cut to multi.widths to.fit different spools.  Used.for wrapping.horses ankles

Crow

Thanks, everyone !   I'll be taking "at least" three conventional reels south (and probably closer to a dozen !!), so, I'm thinking I'll try "one of each"I'll pick up some tape , for one, try a mono "underlay" on one, and use 'just braid", on the other. The mono underlay , I think, sounds like a good option......the water I'll be fishing isn't all that deep, and I plan on using a couple "501" size jigmasters, But the Larger" reel I want to try holds a bunch of line....and the underlay would make for a "cheaper" fill-up.    Thanks again !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

handi2

With no tape on the conventional reel spool put 4 wraps around the spool first. Tie your favorite knot and leave a long tag end. Lay the tag end along the spool and wrap over it. Wrap it tight the first few turn over the tag end then back off to 10lbs or so to finish. The braid will not slip.

I use the reel handle to wrap these first few turns then let the machine do the rest.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Whit

What Alan said, although on your 501 it has a little metal knob sticking out in the center of the spool, so if you can attach your superbraid to the spool in a way that somehow hooks around this knob, there's no need for the flex tape.  The braid wont slip.

josa1

Good advice Whit.  Most of my reels have the little pin in the middle of the spool arbor.  When I attach the spectra to the spool, I create a double line by tying a Surgeon's Loop, wrap it around the spool twice, with the pin in the center of the double wrap, tie a San Diego knot, leaving the long tag end as suggested above to be wrapped over.

Even if the reel doesn't have the pin, I attach the line to the spool in the same manner.  Seems to work well for me.

By the way, when I finish putting the spectra on the reel, it is VERY tight.  Tapping it with a finger gives a little thunk, thunk!  I've wondered what the total pressure is on a spool arbor when line is applied this tightly.

josa1