A Successful Rebuild

Started by Norcal Pescador, November 10, 2017, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

I rebuilt an older Penn 50-V I bought used and took it on Alan's first 5-day trip. Unfortunately the big bruiser wasn't needed so it stayed on the rack. I sold it to a local friend who is a long range regular and he just came back from a seven-day trip.

With apprehension, I awaited his review of the reel. When he said, "It was flawless!" I was so relieved.  He picked up a 130 pound marlin on the first trolling round, then another later. The last fish brought to the boat by trolling was a nice wahoo. The only complaints were from the crew because it wasn't a two-speed. Waaaahh  :'(

It was my first lever drag repair and I did just about all I could. New bearings throughout, 117DN-50 drag washer replacing the original asbestos(?) disc, and other non-metallic washers. I took EVERYTHING apart, cleaned, polished, and lubed it using Alan's favorite stuff and topped it off with 130-pound Izor hollow braid and a '6/0' Kolekar grip.  8)

I'll probably see it again when it needs to be serviced.  :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

oc1

Good going.... but be careful not to act surprised.  :)
-steve

Alto Mare

Good job Rob!...I'm not surprised at the reel and your work ;).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Sounds like your friend gave it a decent workout - good to see it stood up to the test, but I'm not surprised either.  :)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Hi Rob, thanks for the report, interesting, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

rob, good to see you out and about!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on November 10, 2017, 09:06:58 AM
Good going.... but be careful not to act surprised:)
-steve

LOL exellent comment.

The Baja Guy

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

coastal_dan

Nice, that story makes it worth it!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bill B

That's the way we roll here at AT.com  ;)   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

It's good to hear from you Rob.  I trust that things are going well.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Alright! N.P., fixed, tried and tested---success!
I recently gotta Avet LD. 1) To have a smaller LD than the 600 size Accurate in my arsenal. 2)  To see what an Avet's about from the inside-out. 3) To practice tear-down and reassembly on a moderately priced American made LD, and mabey better understand how exactly they function. I know, I know,  Avet's are relatively less complicated than others. But I wasn't smart enough to understand my TLD 15 a couple of years ago when I serviced it and put in the spool shaft sleeve(as per Bryan & Allens instructive posts). It was all I could do get it(and the Accurate) back together again.
To me, it's all about the sequence of take-down/rebuilding of each system, which is where the tutorials are invaluable. Repetitive practice, then the functional aspects start to make sense. 5 tries and I think I got it!

BTW, the Avet seems to be a well made reel(SX 6/4 MC-2speed), with limitations: a believable 14 lb. rated drag and a sensitive pinion bearing(as per posts). A good 30lb. reef reel, that cast quite well fora conventional, 'bout the size ofa large fw bass reel, but weighs 1 lb.(16 oz.=good).
Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on November 24, 2017, 09:50:47 PM
It's good to hear from you Rob.  I trust that things are going well.  Dominick

Going pretty good, Dominick. I seem to be busier now than before, but it's all good.  And I make doctor's appointments without feeling guilty, "Nope, can't see the doctor that day. I'm fishing."  ;) ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

MarkT

No need for a two speed on Wahoo. The crew would yell at you if you dropped into low on a 'hoo! I've caught about 30 of them and never have gone into low on one. Just keep turning the handle and if you can't, well, keep turning it anyway. You always want to stay tight with a Wahoo and they run out of gas quickly and then you can crank them in.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!