Custom double dog bridge on a 112H

Started by Alto Mare, November 10, 2017, 11:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I had a day off today and attempted to install Prochallenger's DD Bridge in a 112H

after securing the plate nicely on my drill press, I proceeded to enlarge the 2 lower holes, to accept the 8-32 screws

the new holes are really close to the edge, so I used a diamong file to fine tune them

drilled and re tapped the 2 lower holes for the 8-32 ss crews

I had a couple of choices, but decided to go with the flat phillips head machined ss screws, along with ss finish washers.
I also made some rubber washers 1/8 thick and are sitting under the finish washers

and here is the bridge mounted on the 112H

not pretty, but very much functional

the plate needed a lot of fine tuning

it is working good, but freespool wasn't great. I thought about the larger screws, so I decided to trim down the jack a little on both sides

this helped with freespool, but still not great, it will need a little more fine tuning, but I had enough today.
and the finished reel with the custom dd bridge

If I can do it, so can you, If you wanted to try it for yourself go for it.
You will need a lot of patience though.
This was a lot of work, so it might not be worth it to you.

Best,

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Cortez_Conversions

Nice work Sal,
I think I need to add this mod to my plates when they come out!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Crow

Good job !!  Nice neat installation, too !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 11, 2017, 01:16:27 AM
Nice work Sal,
That would be great Tom, but you would need two different sets of plates and most get turned off by it.
The good thing about the upgrades is that they could be used with stack plates or custom, these wouldn't offer that.

The best solution would be for a custom bridge, but Alan didn't want to at the time, maybe he'll change his mind :-\

Here is a crazy idea and it will be the first.
How about drilling 6 screw holes for the bridge on the custom plates?, we could drill and tap the additional 2 holes to make this custom bridge work with the 3/0 or jigmaster.  I'm sure you could come up with removable plugs for the extra 2 holes. ;D

Thanks guys, just playing around with this stuff.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

mhc

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 11, 2017, 12:26:09 PM
Keep playing Sal ;D
x 2 - It's always good to see the experts at work. The reel looks like it's built on one of the hard to find tiburon narrow 112H kits - you've made a good reel even better!

It was discussed when the early pro challenger 5:1 gears didn't work in the 112H but I still have trouble understanding the 112H gear spacing - the stock 112H uses jigmaster 5-500 main and 13-500 pinion and the pro challenger gears fit a stock jigmaster without modifying the plate - the photo showing the modifications to the head plate looks like you needed to modify the cavity the main gear sits in, making it a bit deeper at the edges and removing a bit of the plate on the pinion side. The pinion location needs be the same to sit on the spool shaft with both bridges so why does the main gear cavity need modifying? - unless you had a deeper 5-505 or newell 5:1 gear set in the plate at some stage.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 11, 2017, 12:21:08 PM
Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 11, 2017, 01:16:27 AM
Nice work Sal,
That would be great Tom, but you would need two different sets of plates and most get turned off by it.
The good thing about the upgrades is that they could be used with stack plates or custom, these wouldn't offer that.

The best solution would be for a custom bridge, but Alan didn't want to at the time, maybe he'll change his mind :-\

Here is a crazy idea and it will be the first.
How about drilling 6 screw holes for the bridge on the custom plates?, we could drill and tap the additional 2 holes to make this custom bridge work with the 3/0 or jigmaster.  I'm sure you could come up with removable plugs for the extra 2 holes. ;D

Thanks guys, just playing around with this stuff.

Sal

Yeah, Sal. This (112H DD)is being worked on. It will be ready soon.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mhc on November 11, 2017, 02:24:47 PM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 11, 2017, 12:26:09 PM
Keep playing Sal ;D
x 2 - It's always good to see the experts at work. The reel looks like it's built on one of the hard to find tiburon narrow 112H kits - you've made a good reel even better!

It was discussed when the early pro challenger 5:1 gears didn't work in the 112H but I still have trouble understanding the 112H gear spacing - the stock 112H uses jigmaster 5-500 main and 13-500 pinion and the pro challenger gears fit a stock jigmaster without modifying the plate - the photo showing the modifications to the head plate looks like you needed to modify the cavity the main gear sits in, making it a bit deeper at the edges and removing a bit of the plate on the pinion side. The pinion location needs be the same to sit on the spool shaft with both bridges so why does the main gear cavity need modifying? - unless you had a deeper 5-505 or newell 5:1 gear set in the plate at some stage.

Mike
Hello Mike, the plate has not been modified for the gear, maybe its a bad pic :-\. I did use an older plate that was modified for the second dog, but not for deeper gears.
The gears that you see are Prochallenger's, those are the first run of the 500-X, they're drilled through and never went in production, but the ones he's offering are exactly the same, only without the holes.
The reason I told Alan to scrap the idea of the holes was that the gear wash shredding the washer under it when applying a lot of force. I have a couple, also a couple for the 113H, I use those on my personal reels, but that washer for under the gear needs to be just right. Usually the bottom of my gears are crazy smooth, I do that to most.
The Tank has one of these drilled gears,  you could clean your teeth looking at the bottom of that gear, but only before applying grease :)
The gears do work on both , the Jigmaster and 112H, the reason the bridge doesn't is because the plate and bridge screw holes are positioned differently on the 112h, maybe related to the larger plate, but they could have done it the same :-\

Best,

Sal

Quote from: Black Pearl on November 11, 2017, 03:07:51 PM

Yeah, Sal. This (112H DD)is being worked on. It will be ready soon.

That is great Alan, you should have told me, I wouldn't have ruined 2 plates :-\
But I'm glad I have one that works.

Sal

STRIPER LOU

Nice job Sal! I especially like the idea of the extra holes. It would be great to be able to use it for either - or!

Regard's,  ..  Lou

coastal_dan

It's like watching a master artisan at work.  Thanks for sharing with us Sal, a pleasure to watch.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

broadway

That's awesome, Sal.  The 112H is my favorite striper (not trolling) reel and with some upgrades like you performed it would make a fantastic all around reel for any inshore and some offshore species.  Sure beats jigging a 114H if you can pump a 112h up to do the same if not better.
Tom,  If you can modify the 112h side plate to accommodate the DD bridge that would be awesome, but a 112h can be double dogged without the bridge. I think Sal or another very qualified member did it, but I can't find it.
Thanks for showing us how it's done, Sal... although I think this is past my pay grade.
Dom

redsetta

You're right Dom - there's been a few, but Tom (Irish Jigger) did a particularly nice alternating set-up a while back:
Hope you're well mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer