a salvaged P-440-F

Started by alantani, November 10, 2017, 11:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

a salvaged P-440-F

got a newell from the east coast.  the guy said he sent it to a shop and the repair guy told him that it was not fixable.  the handle had seized, meaning the gear sleeve was rusted to the post of the bridge plate.  the owner of the reel said that the previous repair guy had tried heat and a good soaking and got now where.  so he sent it to me.  we all have our routines.  i go left to right.  

i started on the left side, cleaning out the left side plate, under the rings and around the frame.  a bearing was missing.  no big deal.  one new bearing coming up!  then the spool was cleaned up a little and they were put aside.

now, on to the right side plate.  i opened it up and found a missing main gear, missing drags washers, a missing pinion gear, yoke, yoke springs and c-clips.  a handle washer was gone as well.  and sure enough, the gear sleeve was seized up.  i torched the gear sleeve until it glowed and it came right off.  now the hard part.  i sent the owner an email but have not heard back yet, so i hobbled together a bridge assembly for him.  this a 4:1 jigmaster main and pinion gear, a filed down  jigmaster yoke, jigmaster drag washers, penn yoke springs and c-clips from mcmaster.  sonofagun, the darn thing actually works.......   :-\

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

You da man Alan. Da REEL MAN!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

It wasn't fixable, because he jacked all the parts!
Great Job Bosu. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice job Alan, maybe this gentleman should post the repair shop name here so other steer clear.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

happyhooker

Never-quit attitude + Yankee ingenuity = Another reel saved from the fishing equip. graveyard.

Frank

Swami805

Brought back from the ashes,nice! I think you just made a P440M.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

ha!  decided to go rummaging through the box.  i found the gears ane other parts wrapped up in a big wad of paper!!!!  the gears are in really bad shape.  i'll change out the yoke, but i'll talk to him about keeping the jigmaster gears.  it's basically now a 3/0 senator.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Yogi_fish808

Holy moly, I never would've thought the jigmaster yoke could work in a newell. I did know Jigmaster gears worked but this is real ingenuity to keep a reel alive. Right on Alan!

Aloha,
Kyle

mhc

Quote from: alantani on November 11, 2017, 03:09:28 AM
ha!  decided to go rummaging through the box.  i found the gears ane other parts wrapped up in a big wad of paper!!!!  the gears are in really bad shape.  i'll change out the yoke, but i'll talk to him about keeping the jigmaster gears.  it's basically now a 3/0 senator.  
Nice work with the materials on hand - I've heard Bryan has a few Newell parts if the owner wants to turn it back into a 440-F   ::) ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Good thing , he sent it to you Alan, your the best boss, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bryan Young

Quote from: mhc on November 11, 2017, 02:52:31 PM
Quote from: alantani on November 11, 2017, 03:09:28 AM
Nice work with the materials on hand - I've heard Bryan has a few Newell parts if the owner wants to turn it back into a 440-F   ::) ;D

Mike

How did you hear this?  I sent a text to Alan last night to see if he wanted gears and a yoke.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PacRat

I'm impressed. Thanks for sharing your ingenuity. Those of us who covet our Newells need every trick and hack available.
-Mike