Drag stack on jigmaster 500?

Started by a-baum, November 11, 2017, 03:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a-baum

Looking at several diagrams of the drag system on a jigmaster 500, including Alan's awesome write-up.  Mine doesn't match any of them.  I just came into possession of this reel and it looks like it's been taken apart before.  Maybe they messed up the drag or took a shortcut or lost a piece along the way?  I have the 3 carbon drag washers for this model (6-309) and not sure how to set them based on what I have. 

There is one keyed bronze washer. To the left of that is a thicker black washer, to the right is a thinner black washer, and then on the right end is a bronze washer the same thickness of the black one next to it. 

The reel has hardly been used so not sure why it was taken apart.  Are pieces missing or is this the drag configuration at some point during production of the 500?  It was made in Philadelphia.

Shark Hunter

Somebody has been in that reel and didn't know what they were doing.
You need three thin carbon fiber washers. One keyed and two round metal washers. That is the stock 3 stack.
Carbon fiber in the gear first, Then a round metal, then another carbon and the metal keyed washer. Then the last carbon and the round metal. There is also a smaller spring washer you are missing.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

The oriention is as follows.. Fiber under gear washer, main gear, CF washer, keyed washer, CF washer, eared washer, CF washer, keyed washer, wavy washer, spacer sleeve, star wheel. Whatever happened you are missing one CF washer & one keyed metal washer. Get a new wavy washer too. I would get the whole drag kit with CF & metal washers and save the old metal washers for spare parts. Don't forget to give them a coat of Cal's drag grease. (available from Scott's also).

Shark Hunter

This is the drag kit available from Scott's Bait and Tackle.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-309SP.aspx
Here is the missing spring washer.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/8-60.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Ssssup, a-buam!
Should look like this: your new drag washer in the bottom of the gear; next a keyed metal washer(keyed=2 flat sides on the hole); next a new drag washer; then an eared metal washer( 2 small tabs on outer circumference, they slide down the slots in the gear); last new drag washer; another keyed washer. So, you're missin one a the keyed washers. PM me with mailing info. and I can send you one.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Looks like this. Yeah, guys were postin while I was. Pretty much what Shark Hunter and Rowdy said.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

a-baum

My mistake, one of the fiber washers was fused to the bronze washer and I just split it apart.  I have all the larger washers I need, including the CF replacements.  I am now only missing the 8-60 tension spring as I have a 6-113 carbon washer for under the gear that I had for rebuilding my 68 long beach.  That will be a late winter project.  Don't suppose the 8-60 tension spring is something that can be sourced at HD/Lowes/local hardware store or is it very specific to Penn?  I hate putting away reels that are taken apart.  Get nervous losing stuff.

Bryan Young

You might be interested in https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/UU-PENN500.aspx

It's a 5-stack that I developed in conjunction with Alan and Aaron of ReelSpeed. It will give your reel Drags to a whole new level.

BTW, I found the clamp. I'll send it to you on Monday because I honk tomorrow is a holiday and the post office may be closed. If it's open it'll go out tomorrow.

Bryan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

a-baum

Well according to Alan's write up he discards the tension spring since using the thicker fiber 6-113 washer under the gear.  Damn I got lucky.  Motoring ahead...

This board is amazing btw.  Only on one other firearm board have I seen people so gracious and willing to help, even if it means sending a complete stranger a piece of metal in the mail on his dime.  What a great community, and I just may get into the Penn reconditioning hobby.  This is some cool stuff. 

thorhammer

Check that: he discards the tension spring between handle and star.  If you discard the Belleville between drag stack and star the star will back off. 

John

Keta

I hate the wavy washers but have found they work better than Bellville washers on Jigmaster and smaller reels.

Quote from: a-baum on November 11, 2017, 03:32:30 AM
My mistake, one of the fiber washers was fused to the bronze washer and I just split it apart.  .

They are brass not bronze.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain