Insert drag kit for Jigmaster

Started by Three se7ens, November 11, 2017, 04:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I managed to get one of the prototypes finished up in time for my recent fishing trip.  The kings werent around the 2 days we fished, but I did catch a couple of 3' sharks on my jigmaster.  A couple of miles offshore in a kayak is no place for a jerky drag, and it performed flawlessly.  Buttery smooth, consistent, and no start-up resistance.    Im sending a set to Sal for a full evaluation. 

Yogi_fish808

Boy oh boy....when these are available for sale I think I'm going to need a few for my Super Jigmaster and a few other reels! Amazing work as always

STRIPER LOU

Looks great Adam. Sal is gonna love it and so will the rest of the crew!

...............  Lou

Alto Mare

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on November 12, 2017, 12:50:07 PM
Looks great Adam. Sal is gonna love it and so will the rest of the crew!

...............  Lou
Yes Sir! these will come handy for the gears that don't have the ear slots going all the way to the bottom.
A good upgrade by a great machinist.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Those look good, they should work in a Newell too I hope
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 18, 2017, 06:53:30 PM
Adam, I was able to test the insert kit today and it did very good.
This is a good upgrade, but I'm not comfortable with the thinner carbon fiber washers.
Here is what you sent me to test
It is fair to mention that the insert went on the Prochallenger's kit

The insert protrudes 2mm on the lip of the main gear, from my testing, this is not an issue.
I did notice the carbon fiber washers on the 3 washers kit  being a little large on the ID.
Those appear to be for the 113H, but the OD is smaller :-\
Nevertheless, the carbon fiber washers did very good.
Decided to go with the 3 washers kit first.
I used 3- 1mm carbon fiber washers, 3- .80mm keyed washers and the smaller of the two thick washers 1.80mm on top. I also used Prochallenger's 10.5mm space...in case some want to use it and the stock spring washer.
I always like to use the stock spring washer on these smaller reels.
I was able to get the Jigmaster to 32lb by pulling on the reel. Drags felt very smooth all the way.

These are only testing numbers to see if I could destroy the washers, or reel.
I wouldn't be too worried about pushing this reel with the parts I'm showing, to 20lb if I had to while fishing.
All parts looked good afterwards. I wrote 30lb, but it was a couple of pounds passed.

Next I tried the 4 washers kit

I used the 3 keyed washersand the 1.80mm thicker washer on top. I like to use one of the same keyed washer in the stack on top, along with the thicker washer, but didn't have the room.
I was able to get the same numbers but the carbon fiber washers frayed at the edge.
They're still intact, but could pretty much bet the .70mm washers will fail.
I've done many tests for prochallenger, somewhat similar to these. My advice to Alan was for him not to use anything under 1mm, when dealing with eared washers.
You could still use those, but I would put a limit on how far you could push them...I wouldn't use them.
You have a winner here with the 3-washers kit, even though they did great, I would still like to see the ID tighter.

While we're talking about the Jigmaster, I noticed the Delrin washer is too close to the pin for the dog spring.
It is working, but would be better if it was 2mm smaller on the OD.
Thanks for your hard work designing parts that we all enjoy here.
Since i'm showing some detailed pictures, you could copy and paste this message on the site if you wanted to, I don't mind.
Thank you Adam, keep up your excellent work.

Sal

Three se7ens

The 1mm thick washers Sal tested were in fact 113H washers that had been cut down to fit the smaller insert.  I was in a time-crunch to have a couple of functional kits before I went to North Carolina last month, and didnt have any material to cut proper washers out of.  I dont think it will have much of an effect on the drag numbers, but in the production version, the washers will be sized appropriately like the thinner ones shown here.   

I will get pricing up as soon as I can.   

thorhammer

30 plus lbs on a Jiggy...where used to be the realm of an 80 International....

Awesome work.

thorhammer

Adam, give me a shout when you come to NC.

Three se7ens

Quote from: thorhammer on November 28, 2017, 03:57:27 AM
Adam, give me a shout when you come to NC.

I was in Oak Island around the middle last month for the fall King Mackerel run.  They didnt show up the weekend I was there though, only a couple were caught the whole weekend in the area.  I wonder if it was from the pressure of tournaments the previous couple of weekends.  Ill try to do it again next year. 

thorhammer

Good KM fishing down there generally; i lived in Wilmington from 04-11. Mouth of Cape Fear river is usually great then, when the bait starts to move out. They kill the kings off the piers in May down there.

joel8080

Adam

Any idea when the Jigmaster insert will be ready to ship?, please put me down for 1 kit.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Decker

Is there a thread somewhere to explain the physics if this type of drag mechanism?  It seems to offer less surface area than the stock washers, so I'm scratching my head...

Three se7ens

Quote from: Decker on December 04, 2017, 08:06:32 PM
Is there a thread somewhere to explain the physics if this type of drag mechanism?  It seems to offer less surface area than the stock washers, so I'm scratching my head...

It actually offers significantly more friction area than a traditional setup.  In a traditional setup, you have a carbon fiber washer sandwiched between a keyed and eared metal metal washer.  When the drag slips, the carbon fiber washer turns with one of the metal washers, so only one side of each washer is producing drag.  With my kits, the carbon fiber washers are locked to the gear and the metal washers are locked to the gear sleeve.  So when the drag slips, both sides of each carbon fiber washer provide drag.  

Because of this, even with only 3 drag washers, this kit has 5 working drag surfaces.  The carbon fiber washer at the bottom of the stack only provides one working surface, since the bottom side is resting against the gear.  But the carbon fiber washers above it all use both sides.  

This may have been the beginning, or at least the beginning of where we are now 

113H tested by Sal

Decker

Adam, thanks for the info; makes sense to me now.  Glancing at those older threads, I see that Sal was closely involved in the development.   Thank you both for your efforts! 

I hope to be an active enough fisherman one day to put those kits to work hard.  ;)