Newbee needs help

Started by mikeorwan, November 12, 2017, 03:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeorwan

Hello all!

Found this forum while looking for reel schematics. At an auction got a box of old reels in various condition. The pic shows what is cleaned, repaired, back in working order. Haven't refinished any (like the Sportfisher 6100) yet which really need it.

Looking for help with parts on the following 2 reels. First a Shimano BX15 which needs a 2 coil bail return spring. Schematic shows #87 as 2 coil, then has #568 4 coil (85). This had a 2 coil, don't know if they interchange.

Next is a Basspro model PP9080S offshore angler power plus. It's missing the bail as you can see in the pic. I actually found this one w/rod on the bottom of the Susquehanna River, LOL! It works however bail was broken.

akfish

Not to be a bummer, but I think your best bet would be to search eBay for these reels to use as parts reels. Shimano does not support old reels and I don't believe Bass Pro ever provided parts for their reels.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

Bill is exactly right, as usual --

I can help with the Mitchell 300's, Quick 110N, Mitchell 304, Mitchell 324, and the Penn SS.

The rest will likely need donor reels, if any issues.

Welcome!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mikeorwan

Thanks guys!

The rest work fine. Had to make some springs by modding salvaged ones from other reels but all work now!
Found some shimano springs on flea bay but not sure which work in the BX15 as I dont know the nomenclature used in the ads.

It's been a lot of fun rehabbing these reels. Got the whole lot for $5.00. About 1/2 just needed hardened grease removed to be fully functional. There were 30 odd reels in the box and with the exceptions I posted was able to replace broken parts.

Got 2 Pflueger No.1893's and an old Penn No.85 that just need cleaned yet. Have a very tiny reel, fly reel maybe, that I'll post a pic of shortly. Only has a small number 60 marked on bottom.

oc1

There are some threads here somewhere about making springs from scratch.
-steve

alantani

i have RD 0087, but i do not have RD 0568.  if i can get your address, i can send you two.  send me a pm with your address. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

Congratulations on those reels and the work on 'em you've been able to do.  Looks like Santa came early if you got the lot for $5, as there are a few there I would've paid $5 APIECE for.

Frank

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeorwan

Quote from: happyhooker on November 13, 2017, 02:57:49 AM
Congratulations on those reels and the work on 'em you've been able to do.  Looks like Santa came early if you got the lot for $5, as there are a few there I would've paid $5 APIECE for.

Frank

LOL yes it turned out to be a buy. The 2 Penn's alone made it worth while. The Penn 4500SS I found online averaging $115 or so, and it's in great shape. However I think my overall favorites are the old Mitchells and the Dam Quick. Very robust and sturdy reels! They'll be hauling catties out of the Susquehanna soon enough!

This could become an addictive hobby. A few minutes from here is a very large outdoor flea market every Saturday. There's always rods/reels for cheeep to be found.

Bryan Young

Quote from: mikeorwan on November 13, 2017, 01:10:19 PM
Quote from: happyhooker on November 13, 2017, 02:57:49 AM

Frank

LOL yes it turned out to be a buy. The 2 Penn's alone made it worth while. The Penn 4500SS I found online averaging $115 or so, and it's in great shape. However I think my overall favorites are the old Mitchells and the Dam Quick. Very robust and sturdy reels! They'll be hauling catties out of the Susquehanna soon enough!

This could become an addictive hobby. A few minutes from here is a very large outdoor flea market every Saturday. There's always rods/reels for cheeep to be found.

If you ever want to part with the 4500SS, please let me know...Trades?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

festus

Looks like this one is a South Bend, it's probably at least 40 years old.

mikeorwan

Southbend is correct. There is a 730 and a 730A. Both cleaned up nice and function well. It's the 730A in the pic on your post.

mikeorwan

Under good news....

Found a Basspro pp9080s for parts on flea bay so that reel will be back in service very soon.

happyhooker

QuoteFound a Basspro pp9080s for parts on flea bay so that reel will be back in service very soon.

Persistence pays off again!

Frank

mikeorwan

Got the basspro pp9080s sold for spare parts yesterday. seller said bail wasnt working. LOL!
well cleaned, lubed, removed some schmoo binding bail return spring. darn thing looks almost new and works great!
the one found in the river is now spare parts as this one is so much nicer overall.
Not bad for $16.....